Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] HDHomeRun Viewer

Comments

• syco54645syco54645 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 24 Plex Pass

@zynine said:

@syco54645 said:

@zynine said:

@syco54645 said:
    OpenPHT is running on Ubuntu Linux. I have Trusty and Xenial and both are having the same issues. HDHomerun is the extend. I have a Gigabit wired network in my house run with cat6 cables. Last night it seems a few more of the items worked on the Trusty install but still not all of them.

Opening the channel is a multi stage process, first it is listed as tiles, then you click on a tile and can click play on the next screen. The failure occurs at the tile state. I click the tile and nothing happens, freezes for a second and I cannot move the cursor but that is it. I can take a video if my description isn't clear.

Rather odd, most problems usually appear in playbacks/streams.
    Nothing appearing in the logs?
    Channel guide enabled or disabled?

Channel guide is enabled. Nothing showed in the logs (unless I am looking in the wrong place) but it seems as of last night the problem had fixed itself, every channel plated just fine. Perhaps it was having issues downloading data to display or something.

Do you have a lot of TV channels?

I have 22, not sure what we would consider a lot. I have a friend running this with nearly 50 who does not have any issues but do not think he is running OpenPHT. It works fine on the roku client but as I use openPHT as my main player it was concerning. Like I said it is working now but not sure why and I hate the not knowing because if it acts up in the future I have no way to fix it except for waiting...

• zyninezynine Members, Plex Pass Posts: 617 Plex Pass
    edited April 11

@syco54645 said:

@zynine said:

@syco54645 said:

@zynine said:

@syco54645 said:
    OpenPHT is running on Ubuntu Linux. I have Trusty and Xenial and both are having the same issues. HDHomerun is the extend. I have a Gigabit wired network in my house run with cat6 cables. Last night it seems a few more of the items worked on the Trusty install but still not all of them.

Opening the channel is a multi stage process, first it is listed as tiles, then you click on a tile and can click play on the next screen. The failure occurs at the tile state. I click the tile and nothing happens, freezes for a second and I cannot move the cursor but that is it. I can take a video if my description isn't clear.

Channel guide is enabled. Nothing showed in the logs (unless I am looking in the wrong place) but it seems as of last night the problem had fixed itself, every channel plated just fine. Perhaps it was having issues downloading data to display or something.

I have 22, not sure what we would consider a lot. I have a friend running this with nearly 50 who does not have any issues but do not think he is running OpenPHT. It works fine on the roku client but as I use openPHT as my main player it was concerning. Like I said it is working now but not sure why and I hate the not knowing because if it acts up in the future I have no way to fix it except for waiting...

I manage to reproduce your problem on OpenPHT (Windows), if there is limited guide info for the channel, it doesn't work. If channel guide is disabled, it doesn't work.

Try version 1.1.1.

• syco54645syco54645 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 24 Plex Pass

@zynine said:

@syco54645 said:

@zynine said:

@syco54645 said:

@zynine said:

@syco54645 said:

I manage to reproduce your problem on OpenPHT (Windows), if there is limited guide info for the channel, it doesn't work. If channel guide is disabled, it doesn't work.

Try version 1.1.1.

Installed 1.1.1 and I found 2 channels that are still causing issues. Where can I find any sort of data to help debug this? Like I said the logs appeared empty but perhaps I looked in the wrong place.

• roberto188roberto188 Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited April 13

Great plugin. Unfortunately until Plex properly transcodes deinterlaced streams using yadif=0 or better yet yadif=1 @ 60fps, most TV channels with any kind of camera movement or action will look like trash. The -deinterlace flag is a garbage deinterlace filter for transcoding. I would STRONGLY urge the plex people to fix this.

Emby does yadif=0 for interlaced stations so at least we get 30fps PROPERLY deinterlaced. I have urged them to add an option for yadfi=1 for a proper deinterlaced 60fps stream.

@syco54645 said:

@zynine said:

@syco54645 said:

@zynine said:

@syco54645 said:

@zynine said:

@syco54645 said:

Try version 1.1.1.

Installed 1.1.1 and I found 2 channels that are still causing issues. Where can I find any sort of data to help debug this? Like I said the logs appeared empty but perhaps I looked in the wrong place.

Not much appears in the log for that issues I encounter, can you share both logs?

@roberto188 said:
    Great plugin. Unfortunately until Plex properly transcodes deinterlaced streams using yadif=0 or better yet yadif=1 @ 60fps, most TV channels with any kind of camera movement or action will look like trash. The -deinterlace flag is a garbage deinterlace filter for transcoding. I would STRONGLY urge the plex people to fix this.

Emby does yadif=0 for interlaced stations so at least we get 30fps PROPERLY deinterlaced. I have urged them to add an option for yadfi=1 for a proper deinterlaced 60fps stream.

Crap, I didn't know about Emby, maybe I should ditch this and just use Emby. :D

• bardmasterbardmaster Members Posts: 35 ✭✭

@zynine I actually have just started investigating Emby as well. They appear to have a really strong integrated Live TV that includes built-in PVR functionality and the ability to pause/ff/rw live TV. I'm working thru with them some bugs and enhancements for their new Roku beta app.

They could actually use some of your expertise in some of those forums! :wink:

• blue-dawgieblue-dawgie Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I have a really, really weird problem. I'm on Comcast, and am in an area where they have moved to h264. While I'm not thrilled with their downgrade in video quality, HDHR does send the channel to compatible devices without transcoding video, which is great.

Most of my devices don't support AC3 natively, so the audio gets transcoded. However, on certain broadcasts (completely reproducible on NBA Playoff broadcasts on TNT), HDHR Viewer is defaulting to the Spanish language feed. I've transcoded NBA Playoff broadcasts on ESPN and ABC (both are still MPEG2) and they have English. I've transcoded TNT during movies (anything non-NBA) and it has English, too. It's just specific to NBA broadcasts so far.

Is there any way to change the audio track that is chosen by HDHR Viewer and the Plex Transcoder? There is no drop-down to change the audio track in the UI that I've seen. Is there anything I could do to help investigate this? It's a really weird problem, and reproducible so far.

Thanks!

@blue-dawgie said:
    I have a really, really weird problem. I'm on Comcast, and am in an area where they have moved to h264. While I'm not thrilled with their downgrade in video quality, HDHR does send the channel to compatible devices without transcoding video, which is great.

Most of my devices don't support AC3 natively, so the audio gets transcoded. However, on certain broadcasts (completely reproducible on NBA Playoff broadcasts on TNT), HDHR Viewer is defaulting to the Spanish language feed. I've transcoded NBA Playoff broadcasts on ESPN and ABC (both are still MPEG2) and they have English. I've transcoded TNT during movies (anything non-NBA) and it has English, too. It's just specific to NBA broadcasts so far.

Is there any way to change the audio track that is chosen by HDHR Viewer and the Plex Transcoder? There is no drop-down to change the audio track in the UI that I've seen. Is there anything I could do to help investigate this? It's a really weird problem, and reproducible so far.

Thanks!

Probably due to the first audio track being spanish. Don't think I can do much at the plug-in level.

• tlwangerintlwangerin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 45 Plex Pass

Plex released V 1.5.5 and 1.6.0 and it appears that it causes all video from a HDHR Extend to transcode (H.264 to H.264 even though the original is already H.264) when it should be Direct Play.

I think this is a problem with the viewer as even the recorded shows play without transcoding. So I'm assuming something changed in the new Plex releases that broke the HDHR Viewer. It would be nice if the Plex development team would communicate with the channel developers a bit more. If it wasn't for the work of Zynine and the HDHR Viewer, I probably would have never purchased the Plex Pass.

Anyway, I hope Zynine can find what changed and issue a fix.

If I was still a developer, I might want to start drinking again :smiley:

Can someone verify that HDHR Viewer is working without transcoding video content from a HDHR Extend using the new Plex releases of 1.5.5. or higher? (please see my previous post)

Thx

A118C powered by aftermarket 12V to USB power. USB power hidden behind the sunglasses holder, and 12v side wired to auto dimming mirrors.

@zynine said:
    A118C powered by aftermarket 12V to USB power. USB power hidden behind the sunglasses holder, and 12v side wired to auto dimming mirrors.

????

@tlwangerin said:

@zynine said:

????

Replied to the wrong forum :D

@tlwangerin said:
    Can someone verify that HDHR Viewer is working without transcoding video content from a HDHR Extend using the new Plex releases of 1.5.5. or higher? (please see my previous post)

Thx

What client are you using?

Sorry, I thought I had entered that somewhere...

I see it on all my ROKU's (V7.5.0 Build 4099) and windows player on Windows 7.
    Previous versions of Plex seem to work fine (i.e. 1.4.x. I wasn't able to try on the 1.5.1 version so not sure when it started)

thx

Ok, I think I found what the problem is on the ROKU. It looks like an option "Online Quality" was added to the Plex version on the ROKU's (at least I didn't see it before). It was set to 10mps 1080p which was causing the transcoding to occur from the HDHomerun original stream. Setting the Online Quality to Original (i.e. same as local) allowed the
    video stream to direct play. I looked at the online documentation for the Plex ROKU settings and it didn't show an option for "Online Quality", so not sure what that does since everything should be local.

Since the streams work fine on the 1.4 version, even though the Plex ROKU app has this setting, the only thing I can think of is It must be that the Plex V 1.4 version doesn't expose/use that option and the 1.6 does.

I do get direct play on the video with the windows 7 PMP, (It just uses more CPU to run and not transcode.)

• psuKingerpsuKinger Members, Plex Pass Posts: 54 Plex Pass

@psuKinger said:
    I had a much older version of this working a long time (well over a year) ago, on a much older version of PMS, and really liked it. Always thought this was my future for remote access (as, at the time, my "present" was slingbox, but it was always cludgy/clunky).

As your website details, PMS updates to 0.9.17 etc seemed to have borked this, and without fully understanding, I walked away for a while...

I just updated PMS to 1.5.3.3580, and pulled what I believe is your latest-and-greatest from GitHUB ("HDHRViewerV2.bundle")... despite being in a post 1.3.x PMS, I think I'm still having trouble with the audio... I tried to follow your directions for a 5 second clip but I must be doing something wrong.

I also have LOTS of readily available HDHR DVR recordings for viewing on my PMS, so I had thought/hoped if I just played one of those, post-upgrade, that would do it? But (so far at least), it doesn't seem to be....

It's not working for me in Plex for Web, on my Shield, or my Pixel... anyone with any insight/guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT] Standard Def channels are WORKING! Very cool. HD channels won't come in... maybe it's just a setting I need to find in either the plug-in or the client. But just being able to tune the Standard Def channl is great for my purposes... Thanks so much for continuing to support this plugin. I've missed this.

Just a quick update on this. Today, within the plug-in settings, I changed:
    VideoCodec Rule/Override from "Default" to "Plex"
    and
    AudioCodec Rule/Override from "Default" to "Plex"

And my struggles, as documented above, with getting HD channels to come in, instantly went away. Purely "FYI".

@psuKinger said:

@psuKinger said:
    I had a much older version of this working a long time (well over a year) ago, on a much older version of PMS, and really liked it. Always thought this was my future for remote access (as, at the time, my "present" was slingbox, but it was always cludgy/clunky).

As your website details, PMS updates to 0.9.17 etc seemed to have borked this, and without fully understanding, I walked away for a while...

I just updated PMS to 1.5.3.3580, and pulled what I believe is your latest-and-greatest from GitHUB ("HDHRViewerV2.bundle")... despite being in a post 1.3.x PMS, I think I'm still having trouble with the audio... I tried to follow your directions for a 5 second clip but I must be doing something wrong.

I also have LOTS of readily available HDHR DVR recordings for viewing on my PMS, so I had thought/hoped if I just played one of those, post-upgrade, that would do it? But (so far at least), it doesn't seem to be....

It's not working for me in Plex for Web, on my Shield, or my Pixel... anyone with any insight/guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT] Standard Def channels are WORKING! Very cool. HD channels won't come in... maybe it's just a setting I need to find in either the plug-in or the client. But just being able to tune the Standard Def channl is great for my purposes... Thanks so much for continuing to support this plugin. I've missed this.

Just a quick update on this. Today, within the plug-in settings, I changed:
    VideoCodec Rule/Override from "Default" to "Plex"
    and
    AudioCodec Rule/Override from "Default" to "Plex"

And my struggles, as documented above, with getting HD channels to come in, instantly went away. Purely "FYI".

Sometimes in different region, HDHomeRun reports very generic codec (AAC for both AAC and AAC_LATM). "Plex" setting doesn't always 100% work for everyone, but it was reintroduce to that users can tweak the plugin.

• adrianwiadrianwi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 183 Plex Pass

Latest version with PMS 1.5.5 is working great for me with my HDHomeRun, and even works with the aTV and iOS clients now. Great work, thanks!