If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playlists - lack of sort options

JayPlex01JayPlex01 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Very happy for the playlist function to have finally arrived, but would it be possible within playlists to have the usual movie sorting options, "Date added", "Date released", "Name", "Rating", "Resolution" and "Duration" just like in the standard movies view?

Tagged:

Comments

• elardnerelardner Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I second this request.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,399Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I don't see that list.  This is what I get on the initial playlist page.  I assume this is to sort the playlist, not the contents.  When in the playlist itself, I don't get a sort option.

[attachment=37227:Untitled.jpg]

• joshuabettigolejoshuabettigole Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd also like to see this feature. When I create a playlist to, say, have a Die Hard movie marathon, I'd like them in the order of release date, as opposed to by title.

• knarf247knarf247 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I second as well
  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,399Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

In the meantime, you can rearrange the list.  Move the mouse over the movie and on the left edge you will get 3 horizontal bars.  You can drag this up and down to rearrange the list the way you want.

• dographydography Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2015

I have a strange problem when creating a playlist beginning with "The" in that it doesn't adhere to the sorting rules for any of the available criteria and will remain at the top for all criteria whether sorting ascending or descending. Even if I edit the Playlist title afterwards to remove "The", the same applies. If, however, I create a new playlist without "The", all is well.

e.g.

Create a playlist titled "The Lord of the Rings" and add the 3 films to it. I can't sort correctly.

Edit the title of the playlist to "Lord of the Rings". Still can't sort correctly.

Delete the playlist and recreate from scratch just as "Lord of the Rings" (no "The"). It sorts fine.

This is the case with any playlist I create such as The Matrix, The Hunger Games, The Hobbit etc. Unsure if I'm being a total dunce or if it's a bug?

Edit: When I say I can't sort I mean the Playlists won't sort correctly, not the films within the playlists themselves (which I can sort manually as described above)

Edit 2: The same applies, for example, when I try to create a playlist for the [REC] series so maybe the bug is something to do with when a preceding non-alphanumeric character (in this case "[") and/or "The" is excluded by default for the purposes of sorting.

• JayPlex01JayPlex01 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just curious if this is coming any time soon?

• claychastainclaychastain Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Really, really need this. Impossible to make large music playlists otherwise. The sorting options for music are pretty abysmal too. Why can't I just tell Plex to play all alternative?

@dography said:
    I have a strange problem when creating a playlist beginning with "The" in that it doesn't adhere to the sorting rules for any of the available criteria and will remain at the top for all criteria whether sorting ascending or descending. Even if I edit the Playlist title afterwards to remove "The", the same applies. If, however, I create a new playlist without "The", all is well.

Oh wow. I see the problem. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this except you. And I wasn't following along on this thread and did not notice this question until now. Thank you. I'll let the devs know.

• beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,838Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Oh wow. I see the problem. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this except you. And I wasn't following along on this thread and did not notice this question until now. Thank you. I'll let the devs know.

There was another recently. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/181727/sort-order-of-playlists-not-items

• JayPlex01JayPlex01 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

BTW just like with "The" in the playlist title, same case for lists which include special characters from foreign languages like French - e.g. Cinèma Français is right on top of my pile. Anyhow, having dedicated sorting choices for lists and their content alike would be highly appreciated while solving that issue at the same time.

• dasspunkdasspunk Posts: 2Members

Plus one...

• demichejdemichej Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Mind boggling that this isn't something that is supported in a playlist. Now i just have hundreds of random files in there. Seriously, do you guys even USE plex when you make it?

Plus 10000000+

• rlisieckirlisiecki Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

yes yes yes I need this. I have duplicates in my playlist, which it is impossible to remove them unless I can sort by name. PAAALEASSEEEEEE add this?

• lifesbrainlifesbrain Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why this isn't already a feature is beyond me, +1

I've just added all the Arrowverse TV Shows into a smart playlist so that I can watch them in broadcast order and the crossovers will make more sense. I have managed to do it by organising them in the Shows window and then making the playlist, however it would of made more sense to add the shows and then used sort by in the playlist window.

• mrkdmrkd Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would love to see this feature as well!

• opteakopteak Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Count my vote for this !

• vhsnetvhsnet Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1. about three hours into setting up my server for real and now abandoning until this feature is added. great product overall, just needs some shine here and there. would also love to be able to select multiple in screens other than 'Recently Added' for Movies, but it could be i just haven't found the right screen yet. thanks.

• cft76011cft76011 Posts: 98Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Desperately needed. Using the 3 lines / hamburger to move items is useless. I have a music playlist with over 700 items currently and when you try to move something from the bottom up to even a couple hundred it takes FOREVER. The scrolling that occurs is painfully slow and there is no way to speed it up that I can see.