Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Need you help for the cheapest way out

ethosgrethosgr Members Posts: 2
edited December 2014 in Synology

Last year i bought a DS212j for my storage and i was planning to stream movies on my smart TV when i buy one (without even doing any research at all back then). Yesterday i bought an LG lb650v on a discount. Now that i got all the parts i open my NAS and install the PMS. Meanwhile i try to find in LG store Plex client but there is no App. (I tried simon's but with no luck since the LG Store is geo bind now.) I tried though TV's Web browser and i got "this server does not support transcoding". Tried on my laptop, the same.. I searched and found that there is not enough cpu power in 212j to do the transcoding! At this point i say OK i'm fucked from both ends. I don't give up and i continue. Searching my TV i found that there is a "PMS" device in the smartshare now. I try to play a movie and it starts playing.That was quite a relief at least i got something but still no plex interface only folders.I decided to downloaded the IOS client on my iPhone to test. When i tried to play a movie i got this message "this video appears to be unplayable on this device". After searching i found again that the 212j CPU is not enough. Back to TV, I started to think how is it possible to play via smartshare but can't play though the browser? Isn't there an option to skip the transcoding and feed the devices with raw content and let the device do it's job? If i had the LG app could the TV play the movies or i would get the same message as i got on iPhone? I'm new to the whole media server thing and i know nothing. Could you please tell me what alternatives i have in order to get the plex working at least on my browser on my TV? or do i have to buy a new NAS? is a cheaper way out? Thanks in advance

Comments

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,583 Plex Team Member
    edited December 2014
    ethosgr wrote on December 13 2014, 12:36 AM: »

Last year i bought a DS212j for my storage and i was planning to stream movies on my smart TV when i buy one (without even doing any research at all back then). Yesterday i bought an LG lb650v on a discount. Now that i got all the parts i open my NAS and install the PMS. Meanwhile i try to find in LG store Plex client but there is no App. (I tried simon's but with no luck since the LG Store is geo bind now.) I tried though TV's Web browser and i got "this server does not support transcoding". Tried on my laptop, the same.. I searched and found that there is not enough cpu power in 212j to do the transcoding! At this point i say OK i'm fucked from both ends. I don't give up and i continue. Searching my TV i found that there is a "PMS" device in the smartshare now. I try to play a movie and it starts playing.That was quite a relief at least i got something but still no plex interface only folders.I decided to downloaded the IOS client on my iPhone to test. When i tried to play a movie i got this message "this video appears to be unplayable on this device". After searching i found again that the 212j CPU is not enough. Back to TV, I started to think how is it possible to play via smartshare but can't play though the browser? Isn't there an option to skip the transcoding and feed the devices with raw content and let the device do it's job? If i had the LG app could the TV play the movies or i would get the same message as i got on iPhone? I'm new to the whole media server thing and i know nothing. Could you please tell me what alternatives i have in order to get the plex working at least on my browser on my TV? or do i have to buy a new NAS? is a cheaper way out? Thanks in advance

If transcoding is required  (your media is not encoded for direct-play), use the laptop or a desktop.    No handheld (tablet, phone, or any of the smaller NAS solutions) will do the job.   *IF*  the media is encoded right, the smaller NAS solutions will do the job (not need transcoding).

1.  Put the Plex server on a laptop / desktop computer.

2.  Point it at your media.

3.  Point the TV (and other devices) at the server 

• trumpy81trumpy81 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 8,835 Plex Ninja

Try re-encoding your videos to formats that are suitable for your devices.

Try Video To Video (PC) or Handbrake (Mac) both are free programs. If possible, try to stay with .mp4/AAC, for the most part that is the most compatible format, but you might also try Xvid/mp3 or Xvid/AC3.

Otherwise, I would follow ChuckL's advice and install Plex on your PC/Mac/Linux machine and run it from there. You can then Map/Mount your media folders on the NAS, to your PC/Mac/Linux machine and Plex will happily access your files from the NAS.

• ethosgrethosgr Members Posts: 2

Thanks a lot for your opinions guys  :)

Since re-encoding all of my movies will take me a lot of time i think i will go for a PC solution (probably a mac mini). OK One more thing. How is it possible that i can play the movies from SmartShare? Does the TV do the transcoding on it's own? If so then if i had the Plex App could that work the similar way?  

• moody_bluemoody_blue Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,410 Plex Ninja
    edited December 2014

Each App has its own set of supported containners (MKV, MP4, AVI, etc), and for each containner the App should list what are the supported video codecs (H.264 level 4.0, for example) and audio codecs (AAC, for example).

Therefore the same containner can play in one App (such as VLC) without transcoding, and in another it may require transcoding.

For example, I have a DS411slim and an AppleTV3. The DS can't transcode, and the ATV3 only accepts a limited number of containner / codec combinations, so I'm using Handrake (or ffmpeg when remux is enough) to convert my videos. Not a big problem for me (I've not so many videos, and I rarely download anything from the net) but it may be a problem for others. Also, the ATV3 handles subtitles (external SRT) without requiring PMS to transcode.

I'm looking forward acquiring a Chromebox and installing OE+PHT on it to replace the ATV3. Here is a thread with a reference of such a box.

If you really want a Plex client, and if you already have a PC with a HDMI port probably your cheapest solution to avoid reencoding is to install PMS (Plex Media Server) in the NAS and PHT (Plex Home Theater) in the PC. The NAS can be connected 24x7 (or almost) and the PC will only be needed when you decide to play films. RasPI also has a Plex client (a port of PHT) and it is cheap.

If the DLNA client of your TV (SmartShare is a DLNA client) suits your needs you can stay with it. I've gone through the specs of your TV, and apparently it can play H.264 and H.265, in other words, it can play the "quasi standard" of today (H.264) and also plays what most think will be the near future (H.265), so your reencoding needs will be minimal. In this case Plex is of little use (no metadata is displayed in the TV), so you may use any lighter DLNA server instead, such as Synology media server.

• Machine1000Machine1000 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass
    Return the tv for a vizio or one that has the plex app. I did the same thing. Bought a panasonic only to find out that there was no plex app. I exchanged it for a vizio. All is good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Alexwhite517Alexwhite517 Members Posts: 12
    ethosgr wrote on December 13 2014, 11:07 AM: »

Since re-encoding all of my movies will take me a lot of time i think i will go for a PC solution (probably a mac mini). OK One more thing. How is it possible that i can play the movies from SmartShare? Does the TV do the transcoding on it's own? If so then if i had the Plex App could that work the similar way?  

If you want to transcode your videos, then you should better use other apps to help you. The TV can playback some video format it support , but if you want to transcode them , then it may not be possible.

• 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,402 Plex Ninja
    ethosgr wrote on December 13 2014, 11:07 AM: »

Hook the Mini right to the TV. Problem solved.