If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I have PMS running on Raspberry PI 2!

Comments

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 884Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    edited March 2015

I prefer to build a Debian package consistent with the existing x86 and AMD64 packages. I just need some more time :)

Edit: I got in contact with the current Debian package maintainer. Lets see if he is interested in building the armhf package himself.

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon
    My Plex DVR setup: tvheadend, tvhProxy on RPi 2 with Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD; Plex DVR on Shield TV for recordings and Tvheadend Live Channel for live TV

• WaPeRWaPeR Posts: 54Members ✭✭
    blindpet wrote on March 22 2015, 4:25 PM: »

I posted a full walkthrough guide here for the Pi 2 (Banana Pi will follow) and tested it several times, working smoothly :D includes an autostart script as well

Would be a good idea to add it to the first post so people don't have to read through 16 pages and get confused with chroots and whatnot. I'd like to buy the main contributors (jonathan, ekchart, uglymagoo and others I may have forgotten) to this little project a beer so PM me your paypal address and I'll hook you up, without you this wouldn't have been possible!

will this work in a Odroid C1?

Thanks!

Odroid C1 with Plex Media Server
    LG 49UF6907 with Plex

• leschanleschan Posts: 181Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2015

This is great! Should make setting up my portable Plex server project much easier.

What image do you guys recommend as base if I need support for the following:

• hostapd
    • dhcp server
    • samba
    • ntfs-3g (for ease of connecting USB 3.0 HDD directly to Windows PC when adding new content)

Also, what other packages might I need for a Raspberry Pi 2 build acting as headless Plex server, wifi router and NAS?

Is it better if I just go with Minibian and add all my required packages as necessary?

• blindpetblindpet Posts: 288Members ✭✭
    WaPeR wrote on March 22 2015, 5:38 PM: »

will this work in a Odroid C1?

Thanks!

it should if you have a base debian, I can test it on the odroid later but let me know if it works too :)

leschan wrote on March 22 2015, 5:43 PM: »

This is great! Should make setting up my portable Plex server project much easier.

What image do you guys recommend as base if I need support for the following:

• hostapd
    • dhcp server
    • samba
    • ntfs-3g (for ease of connecting USB 3.0 HDD directly to Windows PC when adding new content)

Also, what other packages might I need for a Raspberry Pi 2 build acting as headless Plex server, wifi router and NAS?

Is it better if I just go with Minibian and add all my required packages as necessary?

Personally I just use Minibian as the base and take a backup of the prepped image so it makes things faster for different projects. That way you make sure it is as lean as possible, so many possiblities ;)

• WaPeRWaPeR Posts: 54Members ✭✭
    blindpet wrote on March 22 2015, 5:51 PM: »

it should if you have a base debian, I can test it on the odroid later but let me know if it works too :)

I didn't receive it yet, I hope to put my hands on it this week.

I want to use the official and minimal Ubuntu image to install only what I want.

Thanks!

Odroid C1 with Plex Media Server
    LG 49UF6907 with Plex

• jonathanmcalroyjonathanmcalroy Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2015

This is my conversion guide for moving from the drobo/chroot install to the synology based install.  This is intended for those who have already setup their rPI2s and don't want to start afresh.

1. Follow the above guides from [member='uglymagoo'] and [member='blindpet'].  

Things I did differently:

1.1 Unpack the package.tgz into /opt/plex/Application which means I had this path in the /usr/local/bin/plexmediaserver (which I copied from the chroot).  You might want to backup the existing version.

1.2 I already had the autostart setup so this wasn't necessary.

2. If you tested the install and it worked OK, Stop Plex and then Delete /opt/plex/Library

rm -rf /opt/plex/Library

3. Fix /etc/fstab.  Make a backup in case something goes wrong.

3.1. remove these entries:

/home            /chroots/wheezy-armel/home            none bind 0 0
    /mnt             /chroots/wheezy-armel/mnt             none bind 0 0
    /tmp             /chroots/wheezy-armel/tmp             none bind 0 0
    /proc            /chroots/wheezy-armel/proc            proc defaults 0 0
    /dev             /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev             none bind 0 0
    /dev/pts         /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev/pts          none bind 0 0

3.2 Change your media entries to remove /chroots/wheezy-armel either manually or with this command:

sed -i s%/chroots/wheezy-armel%%g /etc/fstab
    3.3 Create new media locations in the root system.  This needs to correspond with /chroots/wheezy-armel locations.

My media was in /media/<type> so I can just grep for that from the fstab and mkdir those directories.

for X in `grep media /etc/fstab|awk '{print $2}'`;do mkdir $X;done

3.4 Unmount the defunct chroot directories:

for X in ` mount|grep chroots|awk '{print $3}'`;do umount -f $X;done

3.5 Mount everything new:

mount -a
    4.  Copy your Library to it's new home.  
    mv  /chroots/wheezy-armel/opt/plex/Library /opt/plex

5. Start plex and everything should be as it was but native ARMv7:

/etc/init.d/plexmediaserver start

Because you're using your old library you'll have the drobo Webclient until these are updated.  (I don't know if there's an actual different set for synology).

6. Everything until now is reversible if you kept backups of the existing files.  You might want to try it for awhile before blowing the old install away.  Once you're happy you can remove the chroot and packages:

apt-get remove debootstrap dchroot

7. And the chroot filesystem:

rm -rf /chroots

Then you cry a little..  :-)

• altug69altug69 Posts: 15Members
    jonathanmcalroy wrote on March 22 2015, 6:24 PM: »

5. Start plex and everything should be as it was but native ARMv7:

What do you mean by this??? Doesn't the previous chroot method also make the pms run native on ARM7?
    altug69 wrote on March 22 2015, 7:50 PM: »

What do you mean by this??? Doesn't the previous chroot method also make the pms run native on ARM7?

The Drobo build is based upon a ARMv5 architecture.  Hence the need for a chroot.

altug69 wrote on March 22 2015, 7:50 PM: »

It most definitely did not, chroots are jails usually used for troubleshooting and stuff. The old method ran an arm5 (I believe) inside a chroot jail on the Pi hence all the monkeying around with mounts and it breaking upstart scripts etc

jonathanmcalroy wrote on March 22 2015, 6:24 PM: »

Things I did differently:

1.1 Unpack the package.tgz into /opt/plex/Application which means I had this path in the /usr/local/bin/plexmediaserver (which I copied from the chroot).  You might want to backup the existing version.

Any benefit to having it in /opt/plex/Application that you know of? If there is I'll update my guide to include it, one thing I noticed is channels weren't working, are you able to install them through the web ui?

blindpet wrote on March 22 2015, 8:20 PM: »

Any benefit to having it in /opt/plex/Application that you know of? If there is I'll update my guide to include it, one thing I noticed is channels weren't working, are you able to install them through the web ui?

No there's no tangible benefit.  The drobo build went there and I think it's slightly neater.  Just personal preference.

Yes I'm able to install channels via the Web GUI.  Is that due to the path?

• altug69altug69 Posts: 15Members
    blindpet wrote on March 22 2015, 7:52 PM: »

It most definitely did not, chroots are jails usually used for troubleshooting and stuff. The old method ran an arm5 (I believe) inside a chroot jail on the Pi hence all the monkeying around with mounts and it breaking upstart scripts etc

Does this mean that the new method will allow pms to harness the full power of the ARM7 on the RPI2 whilst before it was not?

altug69 wrote on March 22 2015, 8:27 PM: »

Does this mean that the new method will allow pms to harness the full power of the ARM7 on the RPI2 whilst before it was not?

It certainly has a better chance now I believe, I still would not expect too much in terms of transcoding, you want to do everything via Direct Play with clients that do the decoding

jonathanmcalroy wrote on March 22 2015, 8:25 PM: »

No there's no tangible benefit.  The drobo build went there and I think it's slightly neater.  Just personal preference.

Yes I'm able to install channels via the Web GUI.  Is that due to the path?

Just redid this and used your correct path and channels now show up, updating guide to reflect corrections

• eckartheckarth Posts: 481Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2015

I am sorry, if I am about to pour water into the wine.

But I feel, the new synology package does not work as well as previously the drobo package in the chroot'ed environment did. I have movies which did play before (on my iPad) and now refuse to. With the drobo package the transcoder was started when needed, and tried its best. This does not happen with the synology package. I have seen the message "this server is not powerful enough to convert video" in the web interface, which I never did before. Using the iPad I see errors -12880.

Remuxing into a different container format and conversion of the audio format worked fine before, but are not attempted now.

I am using a BananaPi with Rasbian.

Eckart wrote on March 22 2015, 10:32 PM: »

I am sorry, if I am about to pour water into the wine.

But I feel, the new synology package does not work as well as previously the drobo package in the chroot'ed environment did. I have movies which did play before (on my iPad) and now refuse to. With the drobo package the transcoder was started when needed, and tried its best. This does not happen with the synology package. I have seen the message "this server is not powerful enough to convert video" in the web interface, which I never did before. Using the iPad I see errors -12880.

Remuxing into a different container format and conversion of the audio format worked fine before, but are not attempted now.

I am using a BananaPi with Rasbian.

I have noticed this too, not sure why this is happening but everything plays fine using DirectPlay locally, it seems mkv files and xvid are having issues in the web player though. Maybe hacking the preferences.xml can hep?

blindpet wrote on March 22 2015, 10:37 PM: »

I have noticed this too, not sure why this is happening but everything plays fine using DirectPlay locally, it seems mkv files and xvid are having issues in the web player though. Maybe hacking the preferences.xml can hep?

Me three..  :-(  Doh!

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 884Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    edited March 2015

We have to fix two problems:

1. The Plex Transcoder requires a new glibc version (>= 2.15)
    2. There appears to be a bug in this version of pms. "the server is not powerful enough" is also a problem on other hardware platforms according to posts in this forum

Solution for problem 1: Get the libm-2.19.so library from the current Debian Jessie package libc6.

cd /tmp/
    mkdir libc6
    cd libc6
    wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.19-15_armhf.deb
    dpkg-deb -x libc6_2.19-15_armhf.deb ./
    cp -a lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm-2.19.so [PLEX_INSTALL_DIRECTORY]/
    cd [PLEX_INSTALL_DIRECTORY]
    chmod ugo+x libm-2.19.so
    ln -s libm-2.19.so libm.so.6

restart plex

With this library the transcoder works and the plex web frontend diplays sd videos. However, pms refuses to transcode 1080p videos in my case.

This problem 2 requires a new build of pms.

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon
    My Plex DVR setup: tvheadend, tvhProxy on RPi 2 with Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD; Plex DVR on Shield TV for recordings and Tvheadend Live Channel for live TV

uglymagoo wrote on March 23 2015, 7:47 AM: »

We have to fix two problems:

1. The Plex Transcoder requires a new glibc version (>= 2.15)
    2. There appears to be a bug in this version of pms. "the server is not powerful enough" is also a problem on other hardware platforms according to posts in this forum

Solution for problem 1: Get the libm-2.19.so library from the current Debian Jessie package libc6.

cd /tmp/
    mkdir libc6
    cd libc6
    wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.19-15_armhf.deb
    dpkg-deb -x libc6_2.19-15_armhf.deb ./
    cp -a lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm-2.19.so [PLEX_INSTALL_DIRECTORY]/
    cd [PLEX_INSTALL_DIRECTORY]
    chmod ugo+x libm-2.19.so
    ln -s libm-2.19.so libm.so.6

restart plex

With this library the transcoder works and the plex web frontend diplays sd videos. However, pms refuses to transcode 1080p videos in my case.

This problem 2 requires a new build of pms.

Hi,

The "the server is not powerful enough" error is related to an updated WebClient.  See this thread:

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/153446-this-server-is-not-powerful-enough-to-convert-video/page-3#entry886773

This discussion has been closed.