If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I have PMS running on Raspberry PI 2!

1818283848587»

Comments

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 896Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    edited February 21

@thingerslev said:
    Thanks for the input. And yes, I have tried to reboot the Pi :-)

I am able to update everything else so to me it seems that there must be a problem between my Pi and your site. I am able to access the Pi from the outside just like the Pi has access to the outside.

Everything on my side appears to be working OK. I had many people fetching the package successfully in the last 10 minutes. Did you use my repository before? The message "The following packages cannot be authenticated" makes me curious if you have correctly imported my gpg key (first link in my signature).

Moreover, "No route to host" tells me your ISP's DNS server or your local router might have problems resolving my server. Please try the following DNS lockup on your Pi: dig dev2day.de and post the output. If that's OK please try to fetch the current package with wget on your Pi, e.g. wget https://dev2day.de/pms/pool/main/p/plexmediaserver-installer/plexmediaserver-installer_1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e-1_armhf.deb.

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon
    My Plex DVR setup: tvheadend, tvhProxy on RPi 2 with Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD; Plex DVR on Shield TV for recordings and Tvheadend Live Channel for live TV

• thingerslevthingerslev Posts: 3Members

Thanks for your time and help. I believe I added the key but good orders sake I added it again but with no change in result. I digged your site and got following result:

Qoute
    ; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u15-Raspbian <<>> dev2day.de
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 42218
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;dev2day.de. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    dev2day.de. 21323 IN A 144.76.172.47

;; Query time: 21 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Wed Feb 21 19:40:33 -03 2018
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 55

Unqoute

I manually downloaded the package, installed it and now have an updated version.

Thanks again for your help!

• torticounettetorticounette Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Hello

I'm new here and i have a problem with the transcoder. I want to downgrade the quality of the video (poor upload bandwidth). I start working for the 15 first seconds and then for no reason the video stop and I get the error "The transcoder has crashed or failed to start". Same problem when I try to optimise the videos.
    After a few research I found the solution of using an old version of the transcoder (0.9.14.6) but all the links are down.

Does anyone have a solution ?

I'm using a rpi 3 with PMS 1.11.3.

Thanks

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 896Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    edited February 25

@torticounette said:
    After a few research I found the solution of using an old version of the transcoder (0.9.14.6) but all the links are down.

Does anyone have a solution ?

I'm using a rpi 3 with PMS 1.11.3.

You cannot use the old server. Most clients will not work properly with his 3 year old release. We should try to figure out what is causing these problems for you with the most recent release. Please post the server logs:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My Plex DVR setup: tvheadend, tvhProxy on RPi 2 with Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD; Plex DVR on Shield TV for recordings and Tvheadend Live Channel for live TV

Thank you for your answer

Here are the server logs

@torticounette said:
    Thank you for your answer

Here are the server logs

I am seeing some "Illegal instruction" errors. There is also "Failed to create temp dir "/tmp/pms-5c98f07f-7abb-4c53-b39b-037ecda09ae6": 13, Permission denied" and I can see some database locking errors. So something is really broken with your setup.

Please tell us more about your system, because obviously you do not use the vanilla setup. Did you change the user of Plex from plex to something else, i.e. do you use an override.conf file? Did you move /var/lib/plexmediaserver to a network mount or external drive?

To help us help you please provide the output of systemctl status plexmediaserver, journalctl -u plexmediaserver, ls -ahl /var/lib/plexmediaserver/, mount.

It's weird because I just installed it normally. I use an external exfat HDD but nothing else.
    I did not use an override.conf and I diden't move any file of PMS.

systemctl status plexmediaserver

● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) Active: active (running) since Mon 2018-02-26 16:02:03 UTC; 6h ago Process: 460 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/test -d "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" || /bin/mkdir -p "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) Main PID: 496 (sh) CGroup: /system.slice/plexmediaserver.service ├─ 496 /bin/sh -c LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/plexmediaserver "/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" ├─ 498 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server ├─1246 Plex Plug-in [com.plexapp.system] /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-c40bba82e/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Versions/2/Python/bootstrap.py --server-version 1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/R ├─1545 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex DLNA Server └─1548 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Tuner Service /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Tuner/Private /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Tuner/Shared 1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e 32600 /waitmute
    journalctl -u plexmediaserver

-- Logs begin at Thu 2016-11-03 17:16:43 UTC, end at Mon 2018-02-26 22:40:58 UTC. -- Feb 26 16:02:03 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux... Feb 26 16:02:03 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.

ls -ahl /var/lib/plexmediaserver/

total 12K drwxr-xr-x 3 plex plex 4.0K Feb 2 21:10 . drwxr-xr-x 51 root root 4.0K Feb 8 14:50 .. drwxr-xr-x 3 plex plex 4.0K Feb 2 21:10 Library

mount

/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered) devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=451912k,nr_inodes=112978,mode=755) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime) proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000) tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755) tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k) tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices) systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=27,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct) mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime) debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime) sunrpc on /run/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime) configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime) /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro) /dev/sda2 on /home/pi/Desktop/BackupMac type hfsplus (rw,relatime,umask=22,uid=0,gid=0,nls=utf8) /dev/sda1 on /home/pi/Desktop/HDDSeries type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096) fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime) binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime) tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=91304k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000) gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)

Maybe if there are a lot of broken things, I should reinstall PMS ?

edited February 27

@torticounette said:
    It's weird because I just installed it normally. I use an external exfat HDD but nothing else.
    I did not use an override.conf and I diden't move any file of PMS.

You are correct, everything looks good so far. So I suspect there might be a problem with your sd card or there was a system crash and some data got corrupted.

Please try the solution in the following post to re-download all your codecs:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1594930/#Comment_1594930

Edit: Also check the free disk space with df -h

I completely reinstalled raspbian and PMS and it seems to work.
    But when it start transcoding the CPU temperature increases over 82°C. Maybe it was a sort of protection who kill the transcoder process to prevent some damages on the cpu...
    I'm gonna add a fan now.

Thank you for your help !

• WolfganPWolfganP Posts: 49Members ✭✭

@torticounette said:
    But when it start transcoding the CPU temperature increases over 82°C. Maybe it was a sort of protection who kill the transcoder process to prevent some damages on the cpu...

The raspberry is too low performance system for proper transcoding, and usually the client (HDTV, TVbox, phone/tablet, ...) is able to process the streams as is and to better quality due internal video engine enhancements tied to the display specs.
    I do force direct play / direct stream whenever I can which doesn't stress the server side unnecessarily and doesn't result in loss of quality.

Plex Server on Raspberry Pi 2, Client on Samsung H6400 (2014 TV) & Android 4.4 TV Box, NO transcoding preferred (always)

@WolfganP said:

@torticounette said:

The raspberry is too low performance system for proper transcoding, and usually the client (HDTV, TVbox, phone/tablet, ...) is able to process the streams as is and to better quality due internal video engine enhancements tied to the display specs.
    I do force direct play / direct stream whenever I can which doesn't stress the server side unnecessarily and doesn't result in loss of quality.

I agree with you but I have a upload bandwidth too low to send the videos on full quality over the Internet, so I have no other choice than transcode it to reduce the size.

• eckartheckarth Posts: 482Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 28

@torticounette
    I do not know what distribution you got, but the clock is supposed to be stepped down in order to keep the CPU temperature in its limits. I have heard there are people which tweak the default parameters to achieve better performance, but not everything which is done turns out to be that smart.

Added: A properly attached heat sink and a case allowing good convection might also be helpful.

• WolfganPWolfganP Posts: 49Members ✭✭

@torticounette said:

@WolfganP said:

@torticounette said:

I agree with you but I have a upload bandwidth too low to send the videos on full quality over the Internet, so I have no other choice than transcode it to reduce the size.

Then you need a more powerful server or research about hardware assisted transcoding (ffmpeg v3.1+ supports OMX on Raspberry 2/3, but I don't know if that can be enabled in a Plex setup)

Plex Server on Raspberry Pi 2, Client on Samsung H6400 (2014 TV) & Android 4.4 TV Box, NO transcoding preferred (always)

• eckartheckarth Posts: 482Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@torticounette and @WolfganP

That only suggests to prepare optimized version before hand. The RasPi is only to slow to transcode on the fly. The resulting files will be rather small, so that should not be a problem

We finally have a real home for the support of the Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2/3 [1]. We will close this thread now to focus on the specific issues of each user. We urge each PMS user on ARMv7 / ARMv8 devices using my community supported packages (dev2day.de) to create new support threads in our new forum category [1].

We are very grateful to all the people who contributed to Plex and who made PMS on the Raspberry Pi 2/3 a reality. If you think there is a crucial piece of information missing in my introductory post [2] please let me know or post a tutorial / Howto so we can pin your post in this category.

[1] https://forums.plex.tv/categories/pms-raspberry-pi
    [2] https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/309553/plex-media-server-for-armhf-and-arm64-using-debian-or-ubuntu

This discussion has been closed.