Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PEPSI Ad?

mike.denner@adam.com.aumike.denner@adam.com.au Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Hi there,

I have recently upgraded my Plex Media Server to version 0.9.1101 and every 10-15 minutes whilst watching content on my Samsung TV I get a Pepsi advertisement showing!

At first I thought I was seeing things but no it repeats. Sometimes I can get out of it and go back to my media, others it hangs the app and the TV restarts.

Very annoying to say the least.

What gives?

Cheers,

Mike

Comments

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,093Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited February 2015
    mike.denner@adam.com.au wrote on February 9 2015, 11:50 AM: »

Hi there,

I have recently upgraded my Plex Media Server to version 0.9.1101 and every 10-15 minutes whilst watching content on my Samsung TV I get a Pepsi advertisement showing!

At first I thought I was seeing things but no it repeats. Sometimes I can get out of it and go back to my media, others it hangs the app and the TV restarts.

Very annoying to say the least.

What gives?

Cheers,

Mike

It has been reported all over the web this morning. I am trying to figure out what is happening, but I suspect it is Samsung that has turned on some feature. Forcing ads on everyone. If you are using the Plex app (and not DLNA): Can you please upload your Plex Media Server.log so we can see if everything suspicious is going on in there?

1. Restart PMS.

2. Recreate the issue.

3. Upload PMS log somewhere and link it in here and we will take a look.

For extra points, tell me at what time the ad started so I easier can find it in the log.

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page
  • robot2xlrobot2xl Posts: 530Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    atrus wrote on February 9 2015, 11:58 AM: »

I suspect it is Samsung that has turned on some feature. Forcing ads on everyone.

:mellow:

robot2xl

• cayarscayars Posts: 3,962Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Cross posted in the other thread also.

To disable: press Menu on your Samsung Remote and scroll to Smart Hub > Terms & Policy > Yahoo Privacy Policy.
    Scroll to “I disagree with the Yahoo Privacy Notice.” and mark it (check box) to opt out of advertising.

I do not know if this will affect any of the Yahoo features built into your TV but I don't use them personally so this solves the problem.
    It's still BS that Samsung would do this to something they are not streaming however!

9,500 Movies, 380 Shows - 32,860 TV Episodes, 380 Christmas Movies, 400 Documentary, 270 3D Movies, 1300 NFL Games, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215,560 Tracks, 715 GB Plex Meta-Data.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1
  • YrXWikbsYrXWikbs Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

On my Samsung, at least, the Yahoo Privacy Policy terms and conditions are delightfully Orwellian:

"By either selecting that I agree or by not selecting that I disagree, I agree to the Yahoo Connected TV Terms of Service." The kicker? There is no "I disagree" option. Only the "Agree" button shows at the top of the window; scrolling through the complete terms does not produce a disagree option. Lovely. Thanks Samsung!

• Chris CChris C Posts: 11,811Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

To be clear:

For users of the Samsung Smart Hub app who've been seeing these ads, they are not coming from Plex and we have nothing at all to do with them. We were as surprised as others when reports of this started. We've already escalated this with Samsung who are looking into it. Apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

(Apologies for the "duplicate" nature of this reply in regards to multiple threads, but we want to get the information out.)

Need help? Having trouble?
    » Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
    » Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

• acnicholsacnichols Posts: 1Members
    I am having the same issues. However i do not have the yahoo option. Any more suggestions?
  • atrusatrus Posts: 11,093Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    whatsupkramer wrote on February 24 2015, 10:43 AM: »

I am having the same issues. However i do not have the yahoo option. Any more suggestions?

Call Samsung and tell them about how much you love that they are forcing ads on your local media, and not giving you the option to switch it off. 

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page