If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

miniharmony unofficial discussion

mobelbymobelby Posts: 27Members ✭✭
Getting harmony and plex to work with channel buttons
Hi,

This thread is for all users who are interested in Nuno Lopes' blog at http://miniharmony.blogspot.com/ to get together to work out the remainder of his fantastic ultimate mac mini and harmony one theatre setup, which predominantly uses plex as the major software.
Nuno appears constrained by time so users like myself may need to fill in and augment parts of his solution until he is able to complete episodes 4, 5 and perhaps 6 ? Nuno has indicated he may not have time until the end of September to complete this series.

The key question I have at the moment is how nuno was able to use the favorite channels button feature of the harmony one (go to channels with soft buttons featuring channel icons) to launch apps within Plex and Boxee and even hulu desktop.

Having implemented the rest of nuno's solution but on osx 10.6.4 I have some tips for others, particularly relating to remote configuration issues with Remote Buddy, Plex and Boxee

Please let me know if anyone is interested in this discussion

Thanks

mobelby

Comments

• nbplopesnbplopes Posts: 74Members
    edited July 2010
    Sorry guys. I've been to busy to give the blog the proper feedback. I'm starting my holidays tomorrow. Next week I plan to end this episode and have the next one posted.

The trick to use the favorites channels wiith icons is more or less like this. We already setup some favorite channels on EP01, we only need to map them in RB.

We know that the favorite channels in the Harmony One works with channel numbers only right? Channels numbers are composed by two, three digits (ore more).

Now Remote Buddy only supports the mapping of single digits (0 to 9) to actions.

So here is the process.

So say we have a number with 3 digits:

We configure remote buddy so that the the first number (always 0) activate a keymap, say one named HTPC0. Second number (1 to 9) activates another keymap, say HTPC1. Third number (1 to 9) activates the application you want to run or any other actions you may think of.

1. Map the '0' button on the Global Behaviors to activate dummy keymap (say HTPC0).
    2. On HTPC0 keymap you map the button 1 to activate keymap HTPC1
    3. Now on HPTC1 we map button 1 to activates PLEX keymap

If you set it right to test you can actually press the sequence 011 and it should run PLEX :)

The drawback is that since 0 is in the global behaviours it can no longer be used for anything else but activate the keymap HTPC0 (it is the kick of button). But that is ok for me.

The good news is that you can put up to 9x9=81 favorite channels with three keymaps. You can increase the number of digits to 4 by adding another keymap ...

So you need to create custom keymaps with remote buddy etc etc.

Hope this outline of the process helps.

Nuno
  • nimoyjohnsonnimoyjohnson Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass
    Mad props mobelby for getting this started. Like many of us, I've been trolling all over the web looking for the ultimate guide on how to marry Plex, Boxee, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, RemoteBuddy and my Harmony (900) Remote. Up until recently, it was taking a tip from here, a tip from there and hoping that it all worked in the end. Tragically, most posts seemed to be either incomplete or provided limited if any information and combined, it was conflicting at best. Nuno has done a fantastic job on his blog. IMHO, its the most comprehensive guide out there -- thanks Nuno for taking the time to document and share your learnings, the community owes you big time dude. Keep up the good work! And thanks again mobelby, for setting up the "unofficial discussion"!

I'll post a little something-something later this evening for those looking to customize the Harmony icons on the Favorites menu.

spock.
    edited August 2010
    For those looking to replicate Nuno's Dark Blue Theme buttons seen in EP2, I've put together a rough Photoshop CS file that can be used as template. Thanks squareyes of iconharmony.com & Nuno for providing the framework to go from.

Included is:
    • HarmonyCustomButtons.psd (Base for creating buttons)
    • LogoSourceFiles (Logo's of Channels/Apps)
    • PNG (pre-formatted buttons to upload to your Harmony)

To learn how to add custom favorite buttons to your Harmony Remote, check out Nuno's Episode 2 (Step 37). (I recommended that you follow the full tutorial first if you haven't done so yet.)
    Nuno's miniharmony Episode 2: http://miniharmony.blogspot.com/2010/06/episode-2-preparing-harmony-one-to-be.html

Custom Favorite Buttons File Location
    spock's custom Harmony buttons .psd: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9fkzcn1Lx-kNzI4OTA2MjctOTNjOC00ZjI2LThiN2ItYjdlMmJiOGU3Mjdl&hl=en&authkey=COOtpqsI
  • mobelbymobelby Posts: 27Members ✭✭
    Nuno,

Thank you so much for posting the information. I can now complete my project this weekend.

A couple of suggestions from me that may be of use to other people running 10.6.4 osx on a mac mini:

1. Don't go for the always running option in plex (or boxee). It will interfere with the way Remote Buddy works and you don't need it since you can configure your harmony to start with plex without it always running
    2. For Boxee, you might also need to download candelair, a free driver from iospirit and enable legacy leopard mode to get the boxee app to work with the virtual remotes function. Yes, this means you'll have a candelair and remote buddy driver strange though that may seem

M
  • nbplopesnbplopes Posts: 74Members
    edited July 2010
    Yes, the trick is easy:

Create Keymaps/Behaviours HTPC0 and HTPC1

Ex; 011 to run Plex

0 - In the Global Behaviour keymap,Map the 0 key to activate keymap HTPC0 (has explained in the blog)
    1 - In the HTPC0 keymap, map the 1 key to activate the keymap HTPC1
    1 - In the HTPC1 keymap, map the 1 key to activate the Plex Behaviour (aka Keymap).

You can then do the same for other apps. I haven't yet explained how to define new keymaps (haven't finished yet the episode) but is not difficult to figure out.

Basically we define one key map for each second digit. This way we can have more numbers to play with, hence more favorite buttons can be defined.

Cheers,

Nuno
  • Stephen SmithStephen Smith Posts: 28Members
    I cant seem to figure out how to make the keymaps for the HTPC......
    any help would be appreciated.
     Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2,26 GHz  PS3  EyeTV 250 Plus  LG 47LG90  Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver  Harmony one remote 
    Stephen,

Creating the first keymap is simple. I'm struggling to create a second and third one that stick and appear in the remote buddy preferences.

For the first one, you simply go to the behaviour construction factory and create a new behaviour called htpc0. It's as simple as that. Watch the video on the remote buddy website and he shows you exactly how it's done.

My problem is that when I create htpc1 it seems to override htpc0 so that I can no longer see it in the behaviours or mapping screens within Remote Buddy. Very frustrating as I've almost finished the project !
    I take it back

Creating a second and third keymap is easy if you give them a separate identifier. Remember to do this as the identifier defaults to the same value regardless of whether you call your keymap htpc0, htpc1 or htpc2

Also don't do the permanent compilation until you're totally happy with what you've got but it's no biggie if you do.

Stephen,

Let me know if you need detailed instructions but it really is as simple as going to the behavior construction kit in remote buddy and creating a new behaviour under the behaviour factory
  • Stephen SmithStephen Smith Posts: 28Members
    I got it. I was doing the same thing overwriting them.....

Thanks for the help!
     Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2,26 GHz  PS3  EyeTV 250 Plus  LG 47LG90  Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver  Harmony one remote 
  • jaba73jaba73 Posts: 8Members
    mobelby,

I would appreciate some detailed instructions. I`ve been following Nuno`s blog but can´t mange to create new keymaps.

Tks
    mobelby -- it might be helpful to have a more detailed write up. I've done the same thing repeated as well. For example, creating favorites for the following:

-Thanks
  • russellmcgrussellmcg Posts: 30Members
    I am still a bit confused on this. I have the remote set up where it opens Plex and Boxee but the "favorites" the icons that jump to Hulu and what not are not working. Can someone give a quick explanation on this? Thanks in advance.
    edited August 2010
    Hi,

Without attempting to pre-empt Nuno's episode describing how to do this properly here is a quick "idea" of how you would set up Channel 011 to open up Plex in the Music screen:

Assumption - you can create your own keyboard.xml file and map an unused keyboard key to the Music window in Plex with something like this line in your keyboard.xml that maps the y key to this task:

<y>Plex.ActivateWindow(Music)</y>

Remember to put this keyboard.xml in ~library/application support/plex/keymaps folder. NB if you use textedit to create this xml file you need to change the default settings so it creates proper xml documents. Otherwise, use a decent xml editor program to create your xml files and you'll thank yourself.

Ok, onto what you do with remote buddy itself.
    Fire up remote buddy, go to the top of the screen and choose Remote Buddy - Behaviour Construction Kit

In Action construction, create a new action as per Nuno's explanation on how to create the action for creating a Plex command button and Boxee command button.

In other words, put it in the mini harmony group, make it available universally and include the following as part of the action. NB give it a name such as "Plex Music"

1. quit current application
    2. activate plex behaviour
    3. delay by 2 seconds (or whatever works for you)
    4. issue keystroke y (with single button press)

Then in the behaviour construction kit click on create behaviour.

First, create an htpc0 behaviour (ie a new behaviour with the name "htpc0")

Ensure it is not dependent on an actual app (since this is a dummy keymap) and give it a unique identifier in the box called "identifier" eg htpc0

Repeat to create an htpc1 behaviour

Now quit the construction kit and go back to remote buddy preferences

In mapping, choose global mapping and map the harmony zero key (from memory this is Remote 154 Right key but I will edit this post later to correct) to "activate htpc0" behaviour"

Next, still in mapping, click on the htpc0 behaviour (it won't have an icon but you can work out alphabetically which one is htpc0 and which one is htpc1) and in this behaviour map the harmony one key (this is Remote 151 up key from memory) to "activate htpc1 behaviour"

Next, still in mapping click on htpc1 behaviour and in this behaviour map the harmony one key (this is Remote 151 up key from memory) to miscellaneous - mini harmony - Plex Music

DONE

you should now be able to launch Plex Music directly from your soft channel button mapped to channel 011

Sorry this is a little rushed and rough but I'm doing it from memory due to lack of time this week
  • thegreatgumbinothegreatgumbino Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Glad you folks started this topic. I've started the process outlined in Nuno's blog. Looking forward to getting it running.
    edited August 2010
    Spock,

Many thanks for the button icons. The ones of boxee and plex were especially appreciated.

I think I'm happy now.
    I have:
    - animated screensaver wallpapers
    - my entertainment system firing up automatically and coming up with Plex (via Harmony one choice of channel - 011)
    - power off quitting the current application and putting the mac mini to sleep via F8
    - remote launching with the channel icons appearing immediately (ie rather than commands)

Here's a screenshot of my chosen six channel icons for the first page:
    [attachment=3618:Screen shot 2010-08-08 at 11.06.12 PM.png]
  • jaba73jaba73 Posts: 8Members
    Still unable to create new keymaps. Something isn`t going well...
    jaba73 wrote on 09 August 2010 - 04:24 PM:

Still unable to create new keymaps. Something isn`t going well...

Jaba -- Have you create or modified your Plex or Boxee keymap file yet?
    Thanks for this mobelby, it helped clarify things a lot. I managed to get all of my fav's working (more or less) but chose to redo my Harmony/Remote Buddy maps and configs from the beginning. Whenever I switched an app from say Netflix in Plex to Pandora in Boxee or to Hulu the previous app never quit and stayed to front even though my behavior state as the first action to "Quit currently controlled application". RB also kept flashing a message ' Behavior htpc0 does not support application quitting '. I think its from me mucking around with my RB settings and/or a result of me transferring my RB .plist files and behaviors from one computer to another. At any rate, your explanation worked like a charm. Thanks again!
    mobelby wrote on 08 August 2010 - 09:04 AM:

Spock,

Many thanks for the button icons. The ones of boxee and plex were especially appreciated.

I think I'm happy now.
    I have:
    - animated screensaver wallpapers
    - my entertainment system firing up automatically and coming up with Plex (via Harmony one choice of channel - 011)
    - power off quitting the current application and putting the mac mini to sleep via F8
    - remote launching with the channel icons appearing immediately (ie rather than commands)

Here's a screenshot of my chosen six channel icons for the first page:
    [attachment=3618:Screen shot 2010-08-08 at 11.06.12 PM.png]

Not a problem, glad I could help.
    spock wrote on 11 August 2010 - 01:54 PM:

Thanks for this mobelby, it helped clarify things a lot. I managed to get all of my fav's working (more or less) but chose to redo my Harmony/Remote Buddy maps and configs from the beginning. Whenever I switched an app from say Netflix in Plex to Pandora in Boxee or to Hulu the previous app never quit and stayed to front even though my behavior state as the first action to "Quit currently controlled application". RB also kept flashing a message ' Behavior htpc0 does not support application quitting '. I think its from me mucking around with my RB settings and/or a result of me transferring my RB .plist files and behaviors from one computer to another. At any rate, your explanation worked like a charm. Thanks again!

Spock, I'm currently having the exact same problems you experienced re quitting either Boxee or Plex after setting up the htpc0 and htpc1 behaviours. I'm wondering if there's some other tweak in the behaviour creation that I need to do to ensure they'll quit each time