If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Extra menu level on TV Shows, Movies, etc

diamondswdiamondsw "Vitriolic yet well-intentioned"Posts: 841Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
Is this intentional?
In Plex/Nine, there is an extra menu level between the top-level and the content - things like "All Movies, By Genre, By Year" etc. This was previously handled as a "right button" press from the main item, and honestly, I'd much, much, MUCH prefer it that way. 90% of the time I'm looking to get right into the main list - especially with the new granular library design - about 9% of the time I want to view by Genre (which I'll be looking forward to editing - integration of PlexDBEditor into Plex Media Manager?), and about 1% anything else.

That said, it's an extremely impressive feature. Who knew that Alan Tudyk did voices for Ice Age? But once the novelty wears off, I'd really like clicking "Movies" to show my movies, not a list of options to view them by.

Comments

• jayman978jayman978 Posts: 4,467Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    This was much debated over a long period of time. Most of the testers initial reaction to it (including mine) was the same as yours. I was exactly the same way as you. Get me in my full list of movies asap. However, the majority of us found that it really grew on us as we began to change how we used Plex. Things like Recently released movies or Recently aired TV episodes have become one of the main ways I use Plex now. Plex will evolve and it will become better integrated but give it a chance for a little bit before you decide you don't like it :)
  • MarcFBRMarcFBR Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Truthfully, it annoys the hell out of me.

Is there any chance it will be made an option? Much rather just have the alphabetical list on the top level and scroll to find my stuff.
  • diamondswdiamondsw "Vitriolic yet well-intentioned" Posts: 841Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    jayman978 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 02:31 AM:

This was much debated over a long period of time. Most of the testers initial reaction to it (including mine) was the same as yours. I was exactly the same way as you. Get me in my full list of movies asap. However, the majority of us found that it really grew on us as we began to change how we used Plex. Things like Recently released movies or Recently aired TV episodes have become one of the main ways I use Plex now. Plex will evolve and it will become better integrated but give it a chance for a little bit before you decide you don't like it :)

Yes, but when I wanted said features, they used to be a right-press away. I used "By Genre" sometimes to whittle down the list, for instance. Now they're permanently front-and-center, whether I want it or not. Usually for me, the answer is not, and I doubt my Plex usage habits are going to change dramatically because of them being shown every time. From a purely aesthetic view, it's also a bit of a jarring break from "visual main menu" to "visual content" to have a long text list in the middle.

Is there a trivial edit I can make to the skin to put those back on the right-press menu, and default "select" to "All Movies/TV/etc"?
    MarcFBR wrote on 31 August 2010 - 03:34 AM:

Truthfully, it annoys the hell out of me.

Is there any chance it will be made an option? Much rather just have the alphabetical list on the top level and scroll to find my stuff.

Give it some time. Come talk to me after using it for more than a few hours :)
    diamondsw wrote on 31 August 2010 - 03:36 AM:

Yes, but when I wanted said features, they used to be a right-press away. I used "By Genre" sometimes to whittle down the list, for instance. Now they're permanently front-and-center, whether I want it or not. Usually for me, the answer is not, and I doubt my Plex usage habits are going to change dramatically because of them being shown every time. From a purely aesthetic view, it's also a bit of a jarring break from "visual main menu" to "visual content" to have a long text list in the middle.

Is there a trivial edit I can make to the skin to put those back on the right-press menu, and default "select" to "All Movies/TV/etc"?

No there is no simple way to do what you're asking. I should also mention that the interface is by no means in its permanent completed form. Things will continue to evolve.
  • MariusTh86MariusTh86 Posts: 15Members ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    If you press select on the movie/tv show section twice in rapid succession, it may skip the list view.
    Knowledge is for everyone, not just a few...
    If you don't like it, stay oblivious!
  • hrcolb0hrcolb0 Posts: 1,239Members ✭✭
    jayman978 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 08:54 AM:

No there is no simple way to do what you're asking. I should also mention that the interface is by no means in its permanent completed form. Things will continue to evolve.

While I agree with jay man that the categories are very useful, one of the reasons I used PlexTv was the ability to easily put the categories I cared about on the Front page, like recently added movies, and recent tv episodes with simple XML editing of home.XML. If I am correct in understanding jay man, and I very well might not be correct, getting to "all movies" rigth away with the ability to add the categories I want in the home page or new second page would be greets. Is this still possible within skins? Should this be put into feature requests to make the "Recents" easily accessible through XML?
    hrcolb0 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 04:08 AM:

While I agree with jay man that the categories are very useful, one of the reasons I used PlexTv was the ability to easily put the categories I cared about on the Front page, like recently added movies, and recent tv episodes with simple XML editing of home.XML. If I am correct in understanding jay man, and I very well might not be correct, getting to "all movies" rigth away with the ability to add the categories I want in the home page or new second page would be greets. Is this still possible within skins? Should this be put into feature requests to make the "Recents" easily accessible through XML?

I am not a skinner but my understanding is that there is not much flexibility in this area at this time. That is subject to change though as we continue to enhance the UI.
  • padexxpadexx Posts: 213Members
    +1

I also think you should have kept it in the "pull out menu" instead of adding another step to get to the movies. And the pull out menus are much more visual appealing than these lists...

...now back testing.
    I'm Like A Dog Chasing Cars! I Wouldn't Know What To Do If I Caught One!
  • Brandon RotkelBrandon Rotkel Posts: 13Members
    Personally, I really like the addition of Recently Watched TV shows, since I have a lot of shows in my library but only a few that I'm watching at any given time. That makes it a lot more convenient to skip right to my daily or weekly shows. So far no shows have gone into that list, but I may just need to use it more before it starts to figure out what I want to watch.
  • padexxpadexx Posts: 213Members

Personally, I really like the addition of Recently Watched TV shows...

I guess we all like these extra options :-) Its just about the menu structure/look...
    I'm Like A Dog Chasing Cars! I Wouldn't Know What To Do If I Caught One!
  • swamp2swamp2 Posts: 132Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    padexx wrote on 31 August 2010 - 12:37 AM:
    the pull out menus are much more visual appealing than these lists...

Absolutely. Don't use a very distracting GUI change to force change in the way Plex is used. The visual continuity of the "10 foot display" is a key part of Plex.
    The main problem with the sub menus is that they're hidden. New users have gone long periods of time not knowing the sub menus or the view options panel even existed. Neither the sub menu or the current implementation is the final answer.
  • lostsoullostsoul Posts: 11Members
    As an owner of a very large movie collection, I'm loving the new menu level. It makes getting to a movie list that I want to view, very easy. The old slideout menu always bugged me because 99% of the time, I would never want to look at my full movie list and accidentally forget to press right and have to go back. Loving the new way!!!
  • glad2hearglad2hear Posts: 65Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hi,
    Why not have a mix of both ideas....
    One click present the full List

Then, when in that main list, clicking the right arrow button shift views to categorized preset modes:
    EX:

All TV Shows | Recently added | by Genre | ETC....

For more flexibility, provide an option to shift the positions of the sub categories.
    EX:

Recently added | All TV Shows| by Genre| ETC...
  • Stevenson-PriceStevenson-Price Plex for iOS / Apple TV Developer ScotlandPosts: 262Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    My first reaction was "that's rubbish, another step", particularly given that having just re-added the library a lot of the "recently added", "recently viewed" etc don't show anything useful.

However, I've already changed my mind, I can see myself using a lot of these and I think it was definitely a good call.
  • ErikVelandErikVeland Posts: 146Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2010
    When this first appeared in the alphas I was a staunch opponent too. Turns out most my watching is either

a ) Recently added movies
    b ) Recently watched shows

This makes it much easier to find what I was looking for quickly.
    Erik K Veland wrote on 31 August 2010 - 06:45 AM:

--dupe--

Erik is one of those testers that I mentioned earlier that was in the same camp as me. Once I adjusted how I used Plex, I found it was much more efficient.
  • rogerveijkrogerveijk Posts: 86Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    jayman978 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 12:49 PM:

Erik is one of those testers that I mentioned earlier that was in the same camp as me. Once I adjusted how I used Plex, I found it was much more efficient.

Personally i don't like the extra menu either, i my opinion there are way to much different category's.
    Maybe you can make it possible to make some category's hidden and a option to disable it.
    On default you turn to extra menu on so everyone knows it is possible.

Or another implementation:
    Turn the menu off so you go directly to all movies/series when you use select in the main menu.
    To bring the extra menu up use: press right in the main menu.
    I guess this gives the most naturally feel.
  • hrcolb0hrcolb0 Posts: 1,239Members ✭✭
    jayman978 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 11:49 AM:

While I agree with jayman and erik, my issue is that it is so cluttered now. List view might as well be navigated with a mouse and a scroll wheel. I would wager that most people use the recents. I have yet to sit around saying, "I would love to watch a movie from 2004. That was a good year for movies." It feels like this portion is an afterthought that doesn't really jive with the rest of the interface, but that the devs wanted some of these functions exposed, and didn't want to lose the other functions, such as by year.
This discussion has been closed.