Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Manually Browse Files

gmackenzgmackenz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 89
Well, Nine is very interesting, but I need to find stuff by file location. The scanning failed on many video files and I really prefer to go to a few file locations were I download this weeks episode of an anime or a premium cable show I don't get locally.

I keep some movie files but my main pattern of watchin is to watch a just download episode and then delete it. So until I can browse easily to a designated directry with two clicks/key presses, my wife will hate Plex Nine.

Look forward to a more simple file navigation scheme in Plex Nine. Switching back to Plex Eight.

Comments

• jayman978jayman978 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,467 Plex Pass
    Did the scanning fail as a result of file naming or do you think there were other reasons. I think that if you can figure out the root of your scanning problem that you'll find that watching new episodes in Plex is very easy. Especially since Plex will automatically update your library when new files are added and then auto remove it from the library when you delete it. If you wife can navigate into a file directory, she should be able to easy navigate to TV Shows > Recently Added.
  • diamondswdiamondsw "Vitriolic yet well-intentioned" Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 847 Plex Ninja
    Not everything should be scanned! I have folders of videos that aren't TV shows or movies - music videos, funny stuff from online, etc - and not only is it not scannable, there doesn't appear to be any way to access it from Plex/Nine whatsoever. Meanwhile, since some of these are in subfolders of TV Shows or Movies (for instance, "Music Videos" inside "Anime"), it shows up in my Anime top-level listing, and I can't view/play the contents, and I also can't get rid of the useless entry in "Anime".
  • gmackenzgmackenz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 89
    jayman978 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 12:36 AM:

Did the scanning fail as a result of file naming or do you think there were other reasons. I think that if you can figure out the root of your scanning problem that you'll find that watching new episodes in Plex is very easy. Especially since Plex will automatically update your library when new files are added and then auto remove it from the library when you delete it. If you wife can navigate into a file directory, she should be able to easy navigate to TV Shows > Recently Added.

I think its very technically accomplished, Plex9, but many of us keep content that is not scannable as is. I too keep anime all jumbled together, movies, ova, tv shows. I can't be bothered to wait an hour to watch something I just downloaded a minute ago. Forcing me to find a manual refresh won't endear me to my wife

I'd only use the My Movies section if I wasnot sure of what I want to watch, that's usuall only a couple of times a month.

Besides, I'm a command line interface sort of user, I love Plex for how it easily plays almost all of my media, I need or want little of the admittedly very handsome informational data browsing.
    Scanned doesn't necessarily mean you have to match it online metadata. If you go into the media manager and add a movie section and select Home Movies from the Primary Info Provider section it will simply add the files to that section without doing any metadata matching. It is in essence just browsing by folder structure.
    Also, Plex Nine is not like Plex Eight where something has to be matched with online metadata in order to be added to a section. The media server will auto generate a thumbnail and background art from the file itself.
  • diamondswdiamondsw "Vitriolic yet well-intentioned" Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 847 Plex Ninja
    edited August 2010
    jayman978 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 03:24 AM:

Also, Plex Nine is not like Plex Eight where something has to be matched with online metadata in order to be added to a section. The media server will auto generate a thumbnail and background art from the file itself.

Yes, but if it incorrectly matches something, then good luck getting back to that non-scraped state.
    diamondsw wrote on 31 August 2010 - 04:32 AM:

Yes, but if it incorrectly matches something, then good luck getting back to that non-scraped state.

No you're not getting it. :) When you use the home movie info provider it doesn't match it to any online source. It uses the file name.
  • benderbendsbenderbends Members Posts: 105
    diamondsw wrote on 31 August 2010 - 04:32 PM:

if its supposed to scan and match, but matched incorrectly, then you should use the media manager to correct it.
    if its not supposed to match to anything, then you need to select the home videos category so it only pulls from file, not any metadata online.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,903 Plex Pass
    Do you get it? I have two different section with 'Home Movies' as my scanner, and it is wonderful!
  • MariusTh86MariusTh86 Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Maybe those sections should be called differently then "Home Movies" and "IMDB", especially since the "IMDB" setting scrapes much more then just IMDb.

Maybe "File Browser" & "Internet sources"/"Online Metadata" ?
  • shuravkoshuravko Members Posts: 5
    Terrible navigation in 9 without browse mode. I have many small cartoons in few folders within my movies folder. Now it's complete mess without any sense. Plus now i can't add any FLAC files...

Now it's very inconvenient to add another folder to library, i should go to my notebook, login to VNC, go to media manager etc. In 8 i just add another source using remote...

You guys do lot's of of work, thats great, but you should think about real use cases...

Switching back to 8 after almost year of waiting... :((( Very dissapointed...

Why not just add Browse menu item to home screen, that's allow just browse HDD and play files without drama?
    r00t wrote on 31 August 2010 - 05:45 AM:

Terrible navigation in 9 without browse mode. I have many small cartoons in few folders within my movies folder. Now it's complete mess without any sense. Plus now i can't add any FLAC files...

Now it's very inconvenient to add another folder to library, i should go to my notebook, login to VNC, go to media manager etc. In 8 i just add another source using remote...

You guys do lot's of of work, thats great, but you should think about real use cases...

Why not just add Browse menu item to home screen, that's allow just browse HDD and play files without drama?

If you move the cartoons folder outside of your movies folder it would fix your problem. How often will you need to add sources that you'll need to VNC into it. Not very often.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,903 Plex Pass
    r00t wrote on 31 August 2010 - 02:45 AM:

No offense, but you sound a bit ungrateful. Setting up a source, and scanning that source is quick and easy, and you only have to do it once. After that, it watches the folders for you, and updates when there is a change. Just the way P9 organizes everything is so much better than browsing through messy, unscanned folders. Then agin, that is just my humble opinion...take it or leave it ;)
    jayman978 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 09:51 AM:

If you move the cartoons folder outside of your movies folder it would fix your problem. How often will you need to add sources that you'll need to VNC into it. Not very often.

Thanks for answer!

But... For example i have about 15 folders with cartoons, with about 50+ files in each folder. When i add this to 8 - i can easy navigate thru them using folders structure in Videos. But now they all goes to single list and well tossed in it. Navigation is close to impossible. If i add all folders into separate items - home menu quickly become unusable. And for each new folder i need notebook, VNC, etc...

Videos menu in 8 was very usable.

And what about FLAC files? They just not recognized at all?
    r00t wrote on 31 August 2010 - 06:05 AM:

Thanks for answer!

But... For example i have about 15 folders with cartoons, with about 50+ files in each folder. When i add this to 8 - i can easy navigate thru them using folders structure in Videos. But now they all goes to single list and well tossed in it. Navigation is close to impossible. If i add all folders into separate items - home menu quickly become unusable. And for each new folder i need notebook, VNC, etc...

Videos menu in 8 was very usable.

And what about FLAC files? They just not recognized at all?

Are they cartoons that were TV shows or are they old cartoons that were movies?

FLAC support will be added in a later version.
  • mrklawmrklaw Members, Plex Pass Posts: 277 Plex Pass
    jayman978 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 10:51 AM:

How would you best approach videos that require....discretion... when browsing? ;) Previously they were just in a folder that wasn't scraped, and I could browse them via 'videos', then to the obfuscated folder. Is there a way to deal with that in plex that doesn't place them in a highly visible location?
    Russ wrote on 31 August 2010 - 10:00 AM:

No offense, but you sound a bit ungrateful. Setting up a source, and scanning that source is quick and easy, and you only have to do it once. After that, it watches the folders for you, and updates when there is a change. Just the way P9 organizes everything is so much better than browsing through messy, unscanned folders. Then agin, that is just my humble opinion...take it or leave it ;)

Sorry about tone of my message. Developers do amazing work, and i just supported them by buying remote app!

But 9 version have few design flaws that make it almost completely unusable in real world video librarys. Not demo ones. I like metadata idea that's lay behind iTunes, but in real world we need little more flexibility that's work flawless in p8.

For example, it's not bad idea to have some kind of folders in movie entry. When you have large anime of cartoon library it's very hard, close to impossible, to navigate now.
    edited August 2010
    r00t wrote on 31 August 2010 - 06:19 AM:

Sorry about tone of my message. Developers do amazing work, and i just supported them by buying remote app!

But 9 version have few design flaws that make it almost completely unusable in real world video librarys. Not demo ones. I like metadata idea that's lay behind iTunes, but in real world we need little more flexibility that's work flawless in p8.

For example, it's not bad idea to have some kind of folders in movie entry. When you have large anime of cartoon library it's very hard, close to impossible, to navigate now.

Just so you know, this has been used in real work libraries by a large group of testers for months now. And has been stated, the initial version of Plex 9 is just the foundation. Don't write it off yet :) The more we see less common use cases we encounter the more flexibility we'll build into it.
  • tipextipex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 74 Plex Pass
    I miss the old video - browse option as well.

For example I have tons of 3d demo material, the're not movies and not tv shows. Using the home movies scraper they are put in a big pile which is just not workable.

Other then that I really like the new plex and really appreciate all the hard work that is put into it.
    jayman978 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 10:09 AM:

Are they cartoons that were TV shows or are they old cartoons that were movies?

FLAC support will be added in a later version.

I have Tom and Jerry and like that stuff, sorted commercials, some sorted private videos, music videos etc. Thats don't fall into Movies or TV Shows category, thats Videos. Plex 9 sould have ability to browsе that's kind of stuff, like 8 version, this files in most cases don't need (and don't have) metadata, folders navigations fine for them.