Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

No Directory Browsing support on Plex NINE

Thanks for the new PLEX Nine. It is awesome. However, I and many others like me need immediate HELP.

My situation is that, I have kept many home videos, recorded TV programs etc in well structured directories on my NAS samba server. If My wife need to watch a particular home video, she browse through the folder name and play the home video in PLex .85 days.
With Plex NINE, I do not see that being a possibility. Instead, All files from all directories are now shown in a one big flat list. (BTW most of them, Year is shown as -1) Mind it, lot of video files are from HD camcorders which have files like 0000.MTS, 0001.MTS etc. Since all names are now bubbled in a flat list. It is impossible to know what belongs where.

Same problem exists for TV shows which are recorded using DVR. These shows are not identified by TVDb and appears as one huge list.

I would request you guys to release an immediate fix for feature which was already working less than 13 hours ago.

Comments

• BozoBozo Posts: 55Members
    I agree to the previous post. I also request browsing by folders. My problem is that I have a load of homemade movies of my children. They are organized in multiple folders named by the events where the movies have been taken. With Plex9 I end up with a huge pile of unorganized movies.

I can imagine two possible solutions:
    - Add a section type "File" to the media manager
    - Add the possibility to group movies in the media manager. Maybe the same way you can group applications on iOS4.

Despite this request, thanks for the great work anyway.
  • xsagtixsagti Posts: 2Members
    The section "video" in Plex 8, is a solution!!

The same in Plex 9, will be good!!
  • pghmtnbikerpghmtnbiker Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass
    I concur! directory browsing, please...the new interface is nice, but if something doesn't scrub properly I want to be able to get to it...already had this problem today.
  • l-rsl-rs Posts: 177Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Also + for me.

I have now moved all unscannable or one off stuff (memorable clips, documentaries et all) to a different section. Pretty confusing at first glance. I have some other quibbles, but will put those in a seperate topic as not to hijack this one.
  • clnrclnr Posts: 207Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I agree! For me, using Folder name as titel would be a workaround. I have a lot of NFL-games and guessing which game Quarter 1 belongs to is impossible...
    -- The window will bring the answer --
  • sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,659Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited August 2010
    You can have directory browsing like it was in Plex 8 by doing this:

1. Start Plex, leave full screen if in full screen mode
    2. Goto Plex > Advanced Settings
    3. Choose the System tab and check Show "Add Source" items
      screenshot20100831at231.png
    4. Close the settings windows, Plex asks for a restart
    5. After restarting Plex go to Video Plug-ins and you will see an Add Source option that allows you to add any folder on your system as a source and after adding a folder you can browse this just like the Video section in Plex 8
      screenshot20100831at231.png

• xsagtixsagti Posts: 2Members
    sander1 thanks for the solution, this was what I wanted
  • clnrclnr Posts: 207Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Thank you!
    -- The window will bring the answer --
  • sunnybajajsunnybajaj Posts: 7Members
    edited August 2010
    Thanks a lot.How would we see files on IOS device. I do not see it on my ipad.
  • scross28scross28 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Here is another way of doing things so they will show up in iOS.

Add a section by clicking the + icon in the bottom left corner of the Media Manager.

[attachment=3756:Screen shot 2010-08-31 at 7.50.14 PM.png]

Notice how Primary Info Provider is changed from IMDB to Home Movies.

Drag and drop the folders in or add them manually. Should be good to go after that.
    scross28 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 06:57 PM:

Add a section by clicking the + icon in the bottom left corner of the Media Manager.

Drag and drop the folders in or add them manually. Should be good to go after that.

scross28: That is the main problem - Please read my original post. All files are lying flat in root level. Lot of files even have same name (since they come out of HD camcorder, like, 0000.MTS, 0001.MTS) - Only way to distinguish them is by folder names.
    Oh sorry, I forgot to suggest that you do that for each folder. It might create a huge list on the main menu, but it will give you access on iOS.
    I think this might work. Try setting section type to TV Shows and then selecting info provider to Home Movie Series. You should get a minimal folder structure similar to TV Shows. I'm only suggesting this as a temporary solution until they can add Folder browsing back in or some other creative way to solve this basic browsing issue.
    I posted earlier about being able to see the files that didn't scan properly with their original file path name. Just like you, I'm missing the file browser.
  • phunkysaiphunkysai Posts: 1,157Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    If you don't want to enable the Add Source pref, you can just surf to the Video Apps section, press C on the keyboard, and Add Source....
  • rybberrybber Posts: 53Members
    sander1 wrote on 31 August 2010 - 11:24 PM:

You can have directory browsing like it was in Plex 8 by doing this:

1. Start Plex, leave full screen if in full screen mode
    2. Goto Plex > Advanced Settings
    3. Choose the System tab and check Show "Add Source" items
      /list]

Thank god that's still possible :)
    Thanks for tips everyone. Now only, if some one can suggest how to see folders directly on iOS devices without creating a section for each directory in my Media list.
    I am still going to create sections but there are few issues with it:

1. List is tooo long and requires updates when new kind of event is added. Then I have to train my wife to look for that section. Too cumbersome.
    2. Plex .9 scanner is not able to pick all the media. it is able to recognize few of media files only.
    3. Choices provided for each section are too many and most of the time irrelevant. 'By Genre', 'By year', 'By Decade' - who would use them for home videos. It covers lot of real estate on the screen when it should be optional by user to see them. If there is no Genre information found, at least it should not show that option.

The plain old Samba/Afp 'Add Source' is far more better than depending on some sort of scanner which picks up incorrect meta data and does not scan all of the media.
  • sej7278sej7278 Posts: 158Members
    scross28 wrote on 01 September 2010 - 12:57 AM:

doesn't work though, you still have to wait for pms to rescan the section. not got time to wait for that to happen just to watch and then delete a tv episode.

if plex just just listed the files in "home movies" sections independently of pms, that would be more like browse functionality - instant and not needing a scrape.
  • brj8826brj8826 Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass
    I'm sorry, I must be a complete idiot. I've been using Plex for a while but have never seen the menu you're speaking of. Where to I "Go to Plex - Advanced Settings?" That option isn't available up in the task bar.
  • jmerrilljrjmerrilljr Posts: 74Members
    clydep wrote on 01 September 2010 - 02:02 PM:

I'm sorry, I must be a complete idiot. I've been using Plex for a while but have never seen the menu you're speaking of. Where to I "Go to Plex - Advanced Settings?" That option isn't available up in the task bar.

You need to be in windowed view, not full screen.
  • vengeancegoonvengeancegoon Has Twiglets, won't share. Posts: 132Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2010
    sunnybajaj wrote on 01 September 2010 - 05:32 AM:

3. Choices provided for each section are too many and most of the time irrelevant. 'By Genre', 'By year', 'By Decade' - who would use them for home videos.

?? Really? You think by year and by Decade are irrelevant for home movies? I mean Genre could possibly be Events as in Birthdays, Weddings etc but If I wanted to look at all my videos from the 80s when people had bad hair, I'd either go for the decade or the year.. Maybe you don't have decades of home videos but other people do.
    I'm bringing Isaac Twiglets right now...