Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Features Wish List

fanclerksfanclerks Posts: 165Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
List of ideas of ways to improve the Plex iOS App
First, let me say that I applaud the Plex team for Plex/9 and all the many long nights it took to create PMS and the iOS App. While I think that the Plex 1.0 iOS App is a great first effort, I also think it has the potential to be so much more. I figured starting a topic thread to gather ideas I had and ones that other contributed would be a good way to communicate these to the developers. I personally have the iPhone 4 and the iPad and have tested the App on both but primarily use the iPad version so most ideas tend to be skewed that way.

- Grid/Wall view of movies with the posters/thumbnails being used for browsing the library. This is what the iPad was meant for IMHO and would make it epic to use. Having it automatically switch to this view when moved to horizontal orientation would be perfect. I'm not sure how well this would work on the iPhone/iPod Touches though. This does kind of demand the next feature though...

- Caching of all content used!!! Give us the option in the preferences to set aside a portion of space on the iDevice for caching of all images used. I personally want to have all images appear immediately and thinks the usage of graphical flair much more plausible and enjoyable. I wouldn't mind dedicating 500MB to a GB or more.

- Having ability to see related movies based upon actor/actress, director/producer, etc. Having a cool graphical flourish of the posters/thumbnails or listings re-arranging like they do in the Media Manager would be amazing and add the special touch to the App.

- Add a Now Playing button that takes you directly to whatever piece of video or audio is playing currently on the big screen. Having is show the plot and other pieces of info with controls would be excellent.

- The posters should be much larger to show off the nice larger res pictures. Maybe this could be use to hide/show the features of the media, ie double tap it to show that it's a 1080p file with DTS and 5.1, etc.

- As far as I can see the fanart isn't being used anywhere. It should try to be integrated into the information page and maybe as a background when you're looking at info on the grid.

- Add ability to choose audio stream and subtitles from the Now Playing screen or remote portion of the App.

- Coverflow flipping through the posters/thumbnails.

- Volume control through the remote.

So anybody else got ideas for additional features to be added to the iOS App.

Comments

• yannoooyannooo Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Congratulations to all the team for this great iOS app for the incredible new Plex!!!

My features wish list for the iOS app:
    • Show table view index on the right side (a, b, c, d, e,.....) to enable fast navigation in long lists like music artists. A search field at the top of the list would also be great
    • When selecting a photo album a list of the photo is displayed, selecting one will display it full screen with an option to "show all" which display a grid view. There is no need for the list view, the grid view should be displayed instead
    • Retina display icons everywhere
    • Fix Status bar quircks on rotation
    • Display loading in the correct orientation when in portrait
    • I also have a crash if I'm at home when quitting the application on the remote screen and I resume it from work where the remote screen is not available.

This would apply to plex as well:
    • Automatically skip list with one item. For example, in TV Show I only have 1 season of Lost but I will still be presented with the screen to select the season. I was able to do that before but I can't find the option anymore
    • Automatically select the first non played item in a list rather than the first one. Most of the time I want to watch the first unwatched episode of a TV show, it would be a lot easier if it was selected by default when opening the screen. I was hiding already watched shows but it was removed from the view options.
  • mitch969mitch969 Posts: 319Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited September 2010
    - Ability to launch a Mac plex client remotely (we just need a daemon running on the Mac). A list of clients we connected before in settings could help with that point.

- Ability to edit the Library view (hide and move plugins/sections including sub-menu). It would be nice to have a direct access to iTunes without having to navigate in the music plugin.

- A button to cancel the launch of a movie.

- The information icon could have a bigger size. This is linked to the previous point because sometimes I would like to click the information icon but the movie starts instead and there is no way to cancel.

- Ability to change the rating of a movie, like in Plex for Mac. Also, when I browse by ratings, the personnal ratings are not taken into account actually. Same issue with Plex for Mac.

- french localization

- TV out for iPad
  • cuecue Posts: 21Members
    fanclerks wrote on 01 September 2010 - 09:52 AM:

- Caching of all content used!!! Give us the option in the preferences to set aside a portion of space on the iDevice for caching of all images used. I personally want to have all images appear immediately and thinks the usage of graphical flair much more plausible and enjoyable. I wouldn't mind dedicating 500MB to a GB or more.

This!

What would be awesome would be an option for ios client to fill cache for each and every video on plex library and save it to ios device, wouldn't this be effectively 'instant play'? You could do the cache filling when on local wifi, and allow user to limit the space used, I personally would give it 8G - should be enough for quite many 5 sec transcoded video clips :)
  • xain09xain09 Posts: 105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    cue wrote on 03 September 2010 - 07:30 AM:

This!

What would be awesome would be an option for ios client to fill cache for each and every video on plex library and save it to ios device, wouldn't this be effectively 'instant play'? You could do the cache filling when on local wifi, and allow user to limit the space used, I personally would give it 8G - should be enough for quite many 5 sec transcoded video clips :)

Better Search
    Some kind of grid view/coverflow
    Caching artwork
  • gabbsmogabbsmo Posts: 33Members
    +1 for volume control!
  • chapindadchapindad Posts: 140Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    +1 for more caching of the streams, though I think there is technical hurdle with iOS and caching.
    +1 for the Grid and Cover Flow
  • salparadisalparadi Posts: 13Members
    - Show feedback when clicking the volume buttons on an iPhone. Currently the volume works but I have no idea what it's set at when I click.

- Show something when a section is taking a while to load or a video is taking a while to load. Currently the completely black screen doesn't give you any idea if things are working or just hung.

- Sort out the adaptive video stream issue. Not usable over 3G which seems to be most of the point of this app to me.

- Keep it from crashing. I love the idea behind this program but it's been pretty crash prone both over local Wi-Fi and 3G

- UI consistency. I'd prefer for the app to look closer to the Apple Remote UI. It's cleaner.

Thanks again, you guys have done an amazing job on this. Much appreciated.
  • AmoryaAmorya Posts: 10Members
    I'd like it to show the text you're typing, when you use the keyboard mode. It'd make searching YouTube easier, as it would let you copy and paste into the search field,
  • lelelele Posts: 48Members
    -Themes!(aeon, lthium.....)
    -more gestures
  • anvilleanville Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2010
    My 2 cents:

-- Launch Mac Client App

-- Toggle Full Screen on Mac Client (I have a cordless mouse but not keyboard available for my media center. Sometimes I need quick access to the Mac desktop. I would also love a full-screen toggle that I could do from with-in the app, keyboard-less)

-- Force a library rescan. (For a new file that was added remotely. This would also be nice on the Mac client)

-- Ability to view music by album.

-- Better podcast/audiobook support (i.e. remembering position)
  • nilochniloch Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass
    I'd definitely like to see the ability to launch Plex clients in the future as well as clearer Volume controls on the remote.

One feature I think that hasn't been suggested yet is the ability to stream the audio to an iphone/ipad while the video continues to play on the client. This would essentially let an iphone act as a pair of wireless headphones and eliminate App switching to something like Airfoil, or Airphones. I believe this would be a relatively easy addition especially with the installation of Soundflower, handling the routing of audio to different devices like interna/external speakers. It may be more complicated; I don't know. But i'd know I'd use it when I don't want to wake others in the house!

I think the App is a great first release and I'm excited to see what will be added in the future. Well done!
  • phreichmuthphreichmuth Posts: 24Members
    One of the major resons to change away from Front Row and the Remote app is that I cannot shut down the computer directly from my iPhone or iPad.

I always have to change to Remote Buddy to shut down the computer without turning on the TV (which I don't need just to listen some music from iTunes). But Remote Buddy I don't need for anything else.
    It is absolutelly annoying and stupid that additional equipment or apps need to be turned on or started just to turn off the media center computer...
    (it is more stupid than in Windows the "Start" button to shut down the system...)

Would be very nice if the mac can be turned off or hybernation mode can be activated with the plex mobile app. It would turn the plex mobile app into a real full-value remote control.
  • jaknudsenjaknudsen Posts: 33Members
    - last.fm support for the iTunes plugin.
  • derekvofderekvof Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Volume control for the iTunes player (for those of us with an old iPod Touch 1G without volume controls).
  • xain09xain09 Posts: 105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    After using it for two weeks now I came to the conclusion that I never use my logitech remote anymore and only use the Plex App on my iPad to control my MacMini connected to the TV.
    What I really need is the same Plex interface as on OS X but with touch control! Simple as that.
  • christian@7thson.chchristian@7thson.ch Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    +++ For "Show table view index on the right side (a, b, c, d, e,.....) to enable fast navigation in long lists like music artists."
    In big Music Libraries this is a very important feature!
  • salparadisalparadi Posts: 13Members
    Another vote for "Show table view index on the right side (a, b, c, d, e,.....) to enable fast navigation in long lists like music artists."

Specifically in the iTunes Music Plugin

I'm amazed this didn't make it into the first version. It takes forever to scroll to the bottom of my library.

I'd also vote for getting rid of the album art by default. Perhaps allow users to enable it, but it isn't necessary and just slows things down. Especially over 3G
  • suicidepactsuicidepact Posts: 1Members
    I've used Hippo Remote for a while and there are a few things I prefer over Plex's remote that I hope can be included in the not too distant future. The first is the ability to start the Plex app itself from within the remote, which saves having to actually access your computer and start the app manually. The other cool feature is a queue button that adds the file you've currently selected to your playlist without having to use a menu button then scroll to the option.
    Another feature I'd like to see that I haven't seen on either remote is a "one-tap" button to access your playlist, just like tapping the space bar inside Movies, TV Shows, etc.
  • amiramiramiramir Posts: 5Members Plex Pass
    +1 now playing with contols and ability to scrub
    +1 force library rescan
  • jitu757jitu757 Posts: 19Members
    I am in also for gird/coverflow, volume control for remote and also add button to launch Plex using remote