If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Support for Plex in new Chromecast Audio

eug7eug7 Posts: 191Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Will Plex work with the today announced Chromecast Audio? Plex is not shown as an available app for the audio on the Google Store. We have to have this. Google plans multi-room support later this year a Sonos like setup.

Answers

• ipepipep Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex shows up as a supported app for both "speakers" and "TVs" on the Chromecast app page now - https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/apps/

• eug7eug7 Posts: 191Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I see it under TV & Film but not under Audio and Music. My two Chromecast Audio are scheduled for delivery today. I'll know by tonight if Plex works.

It works. OUTSTANDING capability. When multi-room becomes available it'll be Plex casting all over the house. This what I've been waiting for for a long time now. What will DTS, Sonos, Qualcomm do now.

• _Francesco__Francesco_ Posts: 250Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

eug7 do the chromecast audio needs to be always connected to a power source or it has a battery?

• hideahidea Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@eug7 said:
    It works. OUTSTANDING capability. When multi-room becomes available it'll be Plex casting all over the house. This what I've been waiting for for a long time now. What will DTS, Sonos, Qualcomm do now.

thanks for the feedback ! i was searching for a solution like this for a long time, i just wanted to confirm this and you gave me the answer i was hoping ! thanks

• rossdarganrossdargan Posts: 262Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Hope mine arrives soon. Such a better solution than bluetooth in the house!

I'll be buying a few more as soon as they add the multi-room to it!

ilfrance, there is no battery. Yes, it needs to be connected to a powers source.

I was ecstatic to discover Plex works with the Chromecast Audio but after listening it seems the fidelity in this thing is not that great. If you're Google and your target customer is the Bluetooth listener they're gonna be totally ok with the audio quality. Unless I'm doing something wrong but I tried Plex (playing FLACs) and Pandora on 2 different systems and it sounds subpar.

A customer on the Google forum for Chromecast has already noticed the poor quality. Says it sounds sort of AM radio like. So, Sonos and the others may still have the place in the wireless arena.

• bunklungbunklung Posts: 194Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The new Chromecast Audio has been confirmed to have line level output which is so much better than Bluetooth or **** amplified garbage you can buy.

Mine is coming on Monday.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 269Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@eug7 said:
    I was ecstatic to discover Plex works with the Chromecast Audio but after listening it seems the fidelity in this thing is not that great. If you're Google and your target customer is the Bluetooth listener they're gonna be totally ok with the audio quality. Unless I'm doing something wrong but I tried Plex (playing FLACs) and Pandora on 2 different systems and it sounds subpar.

A customer on the Google forum for Chromecast has already noticed the poor quality. Says it sounds sort of AM radio like. So, Sonos and the others may still have the place in the wireless arena.

Did you use optical out?

• ToolonginexileToolonginexile Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Will you be able to use an iPad or iPhone and play lossless via chromecast ?

In other words does the chromecast audio overcome the transcoding usually done to flac and Alac files when using an iOS device.

Also if you are using the chromecast wth optical audio out too dac or receiver, why would the quality be subpar? Assuming lossless and not mp3

• ToolonginexileToolonginexile Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@eug7 said:

Are you going optical out to a dac or receiver or using the dac in chroma and I analog out. I would not expect much from the analog output of the chromecast but ok'd hope the digital out is decent

• AlfredYChungAlfredYChung Posts: 2Members

I connected Chromecast Audio to my ARCAM irDAC using optical out; it sounds pretty good. Plex server says it's transcoding my FLAC files to MP3 when streaming to the Chromecast Audio. Connecting my Android tablet directly to the DAC using USB OTG (FLAC DirectPlay) sounds better than streaming over Chromecast.

The Chromecast is still really great for when I'm not critically listening, and when multi-room support is available it'll be awesome for parties since I have a couple hooked up to speakers around the house.

Definitely a good purchase for only $35.

That must be it. The file is transcoded to MP3. Maybe time to as a Ninja if they can shed some light this subject.

• douglasmilchdouglasmilch Posts: 1Members ✭✭

Why would it transcode down to mp3? Maybe someone at google or plex may have an idea soon.

A customer on the Google Chromecast forum on a similar post about poor audio quality posted the below link that explains how to put the Chromecast Audio into High Dynamic range mode. Doing this improves the quality quite a bit but Plex is reporting it is transcoding FLAC to MP3 even after HIGH Dynamic range is set. No response on the Ninja discussion as to why files are being transcoded.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6290498?hl=en&ref_topic=6279364&vid=1-635796917430743567-2920617065

Eug7, thanks for the tip!

HDR sounds much improved. You can also toggle it off/on in real time during playback.

bunklung, makes a huge difference but I'm still concerned about the transcoding. If your equally as concerned and so motivated maybe you can post for a response from a Plexer that might know about the FLAC to MP3. So far, no response to my post on the Ninja discussion.

• NLkaiserNLkaiser Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It would be really cool to send plex video to a chromecast 2 video and send the audio to a chromecast 2 audio