If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

DS414j Owners only - read with caution.

trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 9,757Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
edited March 2016 in Synology

Since Plex have released a package that is suited to Alpine ARMv7 processors with NEON instruction support, I am curious to know if this package can work with the Synology DS414j NAS.

The DS414j has an oddball processor, the Mindspeed Comcerto 2000 so my proposal may not work at all.

You should be aware that this may not work at all, may install but not run correctly, or may install and run just fine.

If you are game to try it, then please report any findings, good or bad, and again there are no guarantees and you try it at your own risk.

I will not take any responsibility for any data loss or damage to your NAS as a result of installing this package.

You will find the pre-modified installation packages here:
Plex Pass Version 0.9.16.0: http://1drv.ms/1SgznTR

NOTE: This is NOT an official Plex package and is experimental only. Do NOT ask Plex or anyone else for support with this package, you will not receive any support it is experimental only!

Note: From Plex Pass version 0.9.16.2 the DS414j is supported by Plex, the public version should be released soon. :)

Regards,
Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

Comments

• fjg20fjg20 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Hey.
    It seems that works like a charm. Thanks.

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 9,757Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

If you have any issues with it at all, no matter how small or big, please let me know OK.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

Yes, sure, I will.
    Just one question. What did you modify in the package you publish? What is the difference with the "official" one? Thansk.

Ah.. One more thing... Transcoding is not available on DS414j, isn't it?

edited October 2015

@fjg20 said:
    Yes, sure, I will.
    Just one question. What did you modify in the package you publish? What is the difference with the "official" one? Thansk.

Now, now, that's secret squirrel stuff ... :))

Actually, I just changed a line in the packages 'info' file that allows the package to install.

And no, the DS414j cannot transcode anything that I am aware of, it should be able to handle re-muxing though, but that is untested since this is not an official package issued by Plex.

Regards,
    Andy M.

Feedback for DS414J.

Adding media library works ok.
    Regarding video streaming, I've tried to stream video to Chromecast from my iPad. Compatible videos with CC are ok, no problems at all.
    However, videos that are incompatible with CC (container avi or mkv), I guess they are transcoded/remuxed by Plex server (I can see a process on my server called "Plex New Transcoder").
    This case, the video sometimes freezes on CC for one or two seconds (buffering or something like that). I suppose that DS414J is not powerful enough to perform transcoding (or remuxing, I don't know exactly what that process is doing).
    Regards,
    fjg

Thanks for the follow up, I really appreciate that and it should help other DS414j owners also.

From what you describe, it could be that DS414j is attempting to re-mux but as you noted, it is just not quite powerful enough to do it smoothly. That is not unexpected though, the DS414j is a great little NAS but it suffers from a lack of processing power like most NAS do. :(

Regards,
    Andy M.

@trumpy81 said:
    Thanks for the follow up, I really appreciate that and it should help other DS414j owners also.

From what you describe, it could be that DS414j is attempting to re-mux but as you noted, it is just not quite powerful enough to do it smoothly. That is not unexpected though, the DS414j is a great little NAS but it suffers from a lack of processing power like most NAS do. :(

Thanks for the explanation. Do you know if it's possible to configure Plex server to activate/deactivate the remuxing?

No it's not, Plex will use the best method it can to serve the file for you.

Regards,
    Andy M.

• sousketsousket Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Thx a lot trumpy81 !!!!! i'll go to test directly this version !!! i will post on this topic after that ;)

Installation - OK
    Adding folder from NAS - OK

I'll check for watching a movie

Please, do not expect any transcoding, your NAS is not capable of that, but I am glad to hear you have Plex installed and running at least. :)

Regards,
    Andy M.

• Alx06Alx06 Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Hi,

I'm the owner of a DS414J and I was excited to install this Plex build.
    Unfortunately, it does not work on my NAS, it says "failed to run the package service".

My mistake? I've installed DSM 6 Beta 1.
    I'm pretty sure that's the cause of my problem.

I d'ont know what to do.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Alexandre

Open control panel->users and enable the Plex user. Plex should start then. :)

Note: that the Plex icon in DSM 6.0 does not work, this is known.

Regards,
    Andy M.

• Alx06Alx06 Posts: 8Members ✭✭

It works, thanks!!!

No problem, enjoy! :)

Regards,
    Andy M.

trumpy81 tell me, it's possible to have the last version ?

I have test on AUTO and it's ok with a big file (mkv AVC Remux - 35 go).
    Direct play is OK too :)

Perfect for me, for the moment !

New link in the first post, PMS 0.9.12.18. :)

Regards,
    Andy M.

Thx a lot ! no problem with this version ! We need to ask to plex to release an official version because i can confirm, it's work !!! :D

I am very happy to hear that. :)

I was hoping that this version would support it, but hopefully in the next version, although I cannot promise anything.

Regards,
    Andy M.