Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

.MKV Support for Plex Media Center?

Hi,
I'm totally new to Plex and just downloaded the latest release Plex/Nine.

I used the Plex Media Library to add my Video Files, DVDs and stuff. All the different formats like .avi and .m4v show up fine in the Media Library and are able to be played within Plex, but not the .mkv Files... They just won't show up. For testing reason I also downloaded XMBC and the .mkv show up fine in there and are able to be played...

Would be perfect if somebody of you guys could help me out solving this little problem. I'm sure I just made a little mistake ;)

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• pitterichpitterich Posts: 113Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I don´t understand that.
    My whole library consists of .mkvs and nothing else than .mkvs...... . No problems here.....not with Plex 8 and not with Plex 9.
  • tobysctobysc Posts: 20Members
    Are you using the Media Manager that can be accessed via the Menubar? Or how did you add your files to the Library?
    I'm totally confused :huh:
  • djmayhemdjmayhem Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Stored differently? Named differently? Encoded wrong? mkv is a container... not a codec...?
    I'm able to play every file through XMBC or VLC... Doesn't Plex use the same codecs as VLC?
  • prepromanpreproman Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    tobysc wrote on 04 October 2010 - 09:42 AM:

I'm able to play every file through XMBC or VLC... Doesn't Plex use the same codecs as VLC?

Lets see how you have your files named.

They should go like this: The Last House On the Left (2009).mkv
    For instance:

The Event - S01E01.mkv
  • sandman4suresandman4sure Posts: 792Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    That is a TV show, right?
    You should put it in different folders, otherwise it won't work.

The Event
    --- Season 1

The Event - S01E01.mkv

The Event - S01E02.mkv
    Ahh, okay... I just started using Plex two days ago... Need to figure out how the whole System works :rolleyes:
    I'm gonna try it out when I'm getting home tonight!
  • MrAcidMrAcid Posts: 185Members, Plex Pass
    thanks man!
    sandman4sure wrote on 04 October 2010 - 01:14 PM:

That is a TV show, right?
    You should put it in different folders, otherwise it won't work.

The Event
    --- Season 1

The Event - S01E01.mkv

The Event - S01E02.mkv

Thanks man! Actually I was able to solve the problem just by following your instructions. It's been working great so far, even with all the meta-tags and stuff!