Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FAQs - READ THIS FIRST!!!!

trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 9,448Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
edited July 4 in Synology

Welcome to the Plex Synology FAQs page.

This post will try and answer some common questions.

First of all, we urge you to look @ the NAS Guide page

If English is not your native language, then try Google Translate: Copy the URL for this page into Google Translate in order to see the page in your native language.

For those having issues with your Plex Pass subscription, please contact Plex at plexpass-billing@plex.tv

Q0: Posting in the Synology Forum.

Note: When making a post in this forum, please provide as much information about your issue as possible and include the following details:

1. Version of Plex you are using
  2. Version of DSM you are using
  3. NAS Model number. EG: DS216Play

Also include your Plex logs if you think they will help
If Plex is accessible, then you may grab the logs by going to settings->server->help and click on the download logs button.
If Plex is not accessible, then open File Station and navigate to: Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs/
See Q7a if the Plex folder is not visible in File Station.

Please copy ALL of the .log files into a .zip archive (including those in the PMS Plugin Logs folder) and then attach that .zip file to your forum post.

Also, if you want an easy way to read and gather the logs, install the WebTools 2.x plugin and use the excellent Log Viewer that has full download and zip capabilities. It was written by @dane22 & @dagalufh, both valued members of the Plex forums.

It has a lot of other useful features like the Unsupported App Store and Subtitle Management and is compatible with PMS on any platform.

Note: There is also an easy to install .spk package available to install WebTools 2.x on a Synology NAS. It was written by @ChuckPA, another valued member of the Plex forums.

Q1: I installed the latest version...?

If you installed Plex from the Package Center then most likely, you do not have the latest version. The package center is maintained by Synology and is always a few versions behind.

We suggest you visit http://plex.tv/download instead. See Q3 for details about installing the .spk package manually.

Q2: Which version do I need, Intel or ARM?

It all depends on the processor that your Synology NAS is running. If it has an Intel processor, then go for the Intel package, if it has an ARM processor, go for the ARM package.

You will need to refer to your NAS's documentation for the type of CPU it has or check DSM Control Panel->Info Center

See: What kind of CPU does my NAS have?

Note: ARMv5 and PPC powered NAS are no longer supported by Plex since version 0.9.17.x, only Intel and ARMv7 are supported from here on.

Q3: How do I install a downloaded .SPK package from Plex?

First, visit the Plex Downloads page and download the latest version of Plex for your NAS. Always click on 'Public Downloads' first, unless you have a Plex Pass, in which case you would click on Plex Pass first.

Note: that Chrome and Safari have been known to not complete the download correctly, so try another browser if you are having any problems installing Plex after downloading it from the website.

Then, follow this guide: How to add Plex package signing public key to Synology NAS Package Center
You should also follow the above guide if you receive an error message that states 'unknown publisher' when installing the package.

To manually install Plex, open Package Center and click on Manual Install (top center of the window), the rest is straight forward, just follow the prompts.

Note: You can only access Plex Media Server locally (in your home) and you must use a Private LAN IP address in one of the following ranges:

RFC1918 Name . IP Address Range .......................... Number Of Addresses
24-bit block ........ 10.0.0.0 ---------> 10.255.255.255 ..... 16,777,216
20-bit block ........ 172.16.0.0 -----> 172.31.255.255 ..... 1,048,576
16-bit block ........ 192.168.0.0 -> 192.168.255.255 ..... 65,536

You cannot use a remote or WAN address to configure Plex unless you use an SSH Tunnel.

See the bottom of this page: Installing Plex
Or you may use SSH Tunnel with PuTTY

Q4: I installed Plex, what's next?

On the Synology NAS you should do the following:

DSM 4: No longer supported by Plex.

DSM 5: Open DSM control panel->security->firewall and add an entry there that opens all ports.
Or open only the Ports used by Plex

DSM 6: Open DSM control panel->security->firewall and disable the firewall.

However, it is recommended that you enable the firewall and follow the instructions given for DSM 5 and open only the ports required by Plex. This increases your NAS security and provides communication for Plex.

Note: If the firewall is enabled in DSM 6 for any reason, then you MUST open the ports required by Plex.

DSM All: Open DSM Control Panel->Network->Network Interfaces->Edit LANx (where x is the number of the NIC you are using) and make sure 'Enable Jumbo Frame' is NOT turned on. Reboot the NAS after any changes.

Note: In DSM 6.1 Jumbo Frames are not labelled, instead the option is Set MTU value manually This should be disabled. The default value for MTU is 1500.

Plex does not operate correctly with Jumbo Frames, they should be turned off, No Exceptions.

Q4a: You should make sure that your media is named correctly!

Failure to follow the guidelines can result in issues with Plex.
See the file naming guidelines here: Media Prepartion

Try using FileBot to rename your files for you.

FileBot naming templates for Plex

Also, TinyMediaManager is another renaming program worth trying.

Q5: Where should I put my media files?

It is recommended that you open Control Panel->Shared Folders and create a folder named Media or similar. On the permissions tab, make sure the folder has read/write permissions for both Plex and admin. Then add folders like so, in File Station:

Media
..|_ Movies
..|_ TV Shows
..|_ Home Movies
..|_ Music
..|_ Photos

Place the relevant media files into each of the above folders and then when creating your libraries in Plex, point Plex to the relevant folder above.

EG: You are creating a Movies library, you would then select the Movies type library and point Plex to the Media/Movies folder.

Q6: Do I have to uninstall before installing a new version?

No, but it is good practise to stop Plex from running by opening Package Center->Installed->Plex->Action and selecting 'stop' in the drop down list, before you install the new version.

After installation, open Package Center->Installed->Plex->Action and select 'start' to run Plex.

Q7: How do I do a complete reinstall of Plex on my Synology NAS?

1. Open Package Center->Installed->Plex->Action and select 'stop'.
  2. Open Package Center->Installed->Plex->Action and select 'uninstall'.
  3. Open Control Panel->Users and delete the Plex user.
  4. Open Control Panel->Shared Folders and delete the Plex folder. (This step is Optional, see the note below.)

Note: If you remove the Plex folder, you will lose all of your libraries and metadata etc. You can leave the Plex folder intact if you wish to keep all of your libraries and metadata.

To double check and make sure Plex has been completely removed, SSH into the NAS and check that the relevant folder locations have been removed.

See Q11 for those locations.
See Q14 for details of how to SSH into your NAS.

When re-installing see Q3 or if you are only upgrading see Q6.

Q7a: I don't see the Plex folder anywhere?

If the Plex folder is not visible in File Station, Finder or File Explorer (Windows Explorer), then open Control Panel->Shared Folders and edit the Plex folder and make sure the Plex folder has read/write permissions for both Plex and admin. Also check the other options, they may hide the Plex folder.

Note: Windows users should make sure that 'hide this shared folder in "My Network Places" is NOT turned on.

Don't forget to close and reopen File Station, Finder or File Explorer (Windows Explorer) and/or refresh your browser page before attempting to view the Plex folder.

An alternative method of enabling the Plex folder to be viewed in File Station is to follow these steps:

1. SSH into NAS using user=admin and password=admin password then,
  2. sudo -su root (use admin password again)
  3. synoshare --setbrowse Plex 1

Thanks @ChuckPA ;)

Q8: How do I find the installed version of Plex Media Server?

Open Package Center->Installed->Plex The version will be listed under Version in the info panel.
Or, you can open Plex and go to settings->server->general to view the server version. Settings->web->general will display the version of Plex/web that is currently installed.

Q9: How do I find out what model of Synology NAS I'm running?

Open Control Panel->Info Center and your NAS model number will be listed with other important information.

Q10: How do I find the DSM firmware version I am running?

Same as above.

Q11: Where is Plex Media Server installed on my NAS?

Plex is installed to the following locations:

/volume1/@appstore/Plex Media Server (main application folder)
/var/packages/Plex Media Server (various files and scripts)
/volume1/Plex (The Plex Folder, where your libraries and metadata are stored)

Note: The first two locations are only visible by using SSH to log into your NAS. DSM 5: User name is 'admin' or 'root'. DSM 6: User name is admin. Password is the same as your NAS 'admin' password.

Q12: Will my Synology NAS be powerful enough to support client X?

Check the compatibility guide here: Compatibility

Plex will determine if a file needs to be transcoded based on your playback device's specifications. If your NAS is not capable of transcoding (See the compatibility guide) then you need to ensure that your files comply with the file type specifications of your device. Check the manual for your device or visit your device's web site for the specifications.

If the file does not comply with those specifications, then you will need to replace or re-encode your file/s to comply with the specifications of your device.

I recommend Video To Video (PC) or Handbrake (PC/Mac), both are free and both do a good job of re-encoding video.

The recommended format for most files is MP4 H.264/AAC or AVC/AAC. This is the most compatible format across many devices.

Note: If your file/s comply, then most NAS are capable of direct streaming/direct playing video to any client.

Q13: How do I get to the logs directory?

The Plex logs can be found by opening File Station and navigating to: Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs/

See Q7a if the Plex folder is not visible in File Station, Finder or File Explorer.

If you need to post your logs, then please copy ALL of the .log files into a .zip archive (including those in the PMS Plugin Logs folder) and then upload that .zip file to OneDrive or similar and post the link to me (trumpy81) in a private message.

Please include a link to the thread you created in the message. Thanks. :)

If you are still able to access Plex then, if you want an easy way to read and gather the logs, install the WebTools 2.x plugin and use the excellent Log Viewer that has full download and zip capabilities. It was written by @dane22 & @dagalufh, both valued members of the Plex forums.

It has a lot of other useful features like the Unsupported App Store and Subtitle Management and is compatible with PMS on any platform.

Note: There is also an easy to install .spk package available to install WebTools 2.x

Plex also provides a convenient 'download logs' button in Plex settings->server->help.

Q14: How do I connect to my Synology NAS with SSH?

It depends on your OS:

Windows -> Use Putty.exe or WinSCP
Mac and Linux -> Open terminal, type in 'ssh admin@NAS IP Address'

Make sure you have SSH enabled on your NAS. Open DSM Control Panel->Terminal & SNMP and turn on SSH. Turn off Telnet while you are there and also, if you wish to change the default port number of SSH you can do so.

Remember, you will need to use your configured port number when addressing the NAS. The default is 22.

DSM 5 The User name for SSH is 'admin' or 'root'. Password is the same as your NAS 'admin' password.

DSM 6 Using PuTTY or Terminal, you must log in as admin, and use your admin password, once logged in, you can then issue sudo -su root and you will then be asked for a password, use your admin password again.

DSM 6 Using WinSCP with DSM 6 requires that you follow these steps once only:

1. Using PuTTY login to the NAS using admin and the admin password for your NAS
  2. Once logged in, issue sudo -su root and press enter
  3. You will be asked for a password, use your admin password again.
  4. type in, cd etc
  5. type in, cp sudoers sudoers.bak
  6. type in, cp sudoers /volume1/Plex ... Do not close the PuTTY window.
  7. Now, using File Station, go to the Plex folder and edit the sudoers file using Text Editor (you may need to install Text Editor from the Package Center first.)
  8. Add the following lines to the bottom of the sudoers file and save it.
    # My addition
    %administrators ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
  9. Go back to the PuTTY window and type in, cp /volume1/Plex/sudoers sudoers and allow it to overwrite the existing file
  10. If all has gone well, then you should now be able to use WinSCP to correct the file permissions etc. when you are using DSM 6.
  11. If anything has gone wrong, then type in, cp sudoers.bak sudoers ... and that will restore the original sudoers file.

This will allow WinSCP to have access to all of the commands needed for general operation and you wont get any errors when trying to manipulate file permissions.

In PuTTY though, you will still need to issue sudo -su root to have root access whenever you need it, but you wont be asked for a password.

You will also need to follow the WinSCP Set up below.

Windows users should download WinSCP and/or PuTTY.

If you are using PuTTY, Linux or a Mac to SSH, then here is a list of Linux commands that you can use: http://ss64.com/bash/

Note: That not all of the commands work on the Synology NAS.

WinSCP Set up - When you install WinSCP accept the defaults. Then open WinSCP and click on New Site.
Change the following:

File Protocol = SCP
Host name = Your NAS IP Address
Port Number = the SSH port number configured in DSM Control Panel->Terminal & SNMP
Username = admin or root (root gives 100% access)
Password = Password used by the admin account of your NAS

Note: WinSCP will not work if you don't follow this step.
From the Advanced drop down select Advanced. In the Settings dialogue, go to Environment - SCP/Shell (towards the top of the list). Then for Shell: type in /bin/sh and click OK, then click Save and give your shortcut a name.

Now you should have a shortcut to click on, click on it and then click on login. You should see your local files on the PC on the left and the files etc. on the NAS on the right. The rest is pretty much like Windows Explorer, right click, select properties to set permissions etc.

PuTTY - Double click the putty.exe and then for;

Host Name = Your NAS IP Address
Port = Use the port number you configured in DSM Control Panel->Terminal & SNMP
Connection type = SSH

Then click on open. You will be asked for the user name and then the password, DSM 5 users may enter admin or root as the user name and then use your NAS admin password. DSM 6 users may only use admin as the username and then the NAS admin password.

DSM 6 Once logged in, DSM 6 users should then enter sudo -su root and enter your NAS admin password again.

Q15: Adding plug-ins to Plex

I highly recommend that you use WebTools to install/uninstall plug-ins. WebTools 2.x

Note: There is also an easy to install .spk package available: WebTools 2.x

Third Party plug-ins are stored here: Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins
You must rename the plugin folder after extracting it from the zip file and the folders should look like so:

Plug-Ins
..|_ MyPluginName.bundle
....|_ Contents
......|_ Code
......|_ Resources

If you don't see the Plex folder, then see Q7a.

Q16: I have a problem with plex.tv, how can I connect to it?

See: Troubleshooting Remote Access

Q17: My files wont Play in Plex?

If your files don't play, the first thing to do is to check the file. There are many things that can effect a files ability to play, but if the file is damaged at all, then you cannot expect it to play at all.

To check MP3 files, use mp3checker
To check video files, use ffmpeg

Here are the command line templates you will need to use with ffmpeg in your CLI environment:
Linux ............ ffmpeg -v error -i file.avi -f null - 2>error.log
Windows ..... ffmpeg.exe -v error -i file.avi -f null - >error.log 2>&1

Windows users, see Q28 for a batch file to check all videos in a location on your Windows machine or Network Attached Storage device.

Q18: How do I manually set file permissions using SSH?

DSM 5: to set the proper ownership, group and file permissions, SSH into the NAS, log in as user 'root' and then issue the commands below in the PuTTY or Terminal windows.

DSM 6: Login as admin, using your NAS admin password in PuTTY or Terminal, and then you must first issue the command sudo -su root and enter your admin password again before entering the following commands:

For your Media Folder/s:
cd volume1
chmod -R 777 Media
chown -R admin:users Media

For The Plex Folder:
cd volume1
chmod -R 777 Plex
chown -R plex:users Plex

Note: If your Plex media folders are not in a folder named 'Media' then insert the appropriate folder name/address in place of Media.

Also, do not simply read the permissions, you should reset them regardless. Set the permissions to 600 first, then go back and set them to 777. This ensures that the permissions have been re-written to disk properly.

See Q14 for details on using SSH.

Regards,
Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

Comments

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 9,448Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited July 4

Q19: I added media, but it does not show up in Plex?

The first thing to check is that you have your media in the correct type of library and that your files are properly named for the type of files they are, Movie, TV Show, Music etc. See Q4a for more details regarding file naming.

The next most common problem is one of file permissions. Open DSM Control Panel->Shared Folders and make sure your 'Media' folder has read/write permissions for both admin and Plex.

Then open File Station and make sure you set the permissions for all folders and files in your 'Media' folder. They should have Owner=admin and Group=users and 777 file permissions.

If your files still do not show up, it may be necessary to SSH into the NAS and set them manually. See Q14 for more details about using SSH to login into your NAS and Q18 for the commands to use.

Q20: My NAS is messed up, how do I reinstall DSM?

Follow this guide: How to reset your Synology NAS

WARNING: On some Synology NAS Models, holding the reset button too long or until 4 beeps have been heard can cause the data volume to be wiped. Follow the above procedure Exactly to avoid data loss.

This will format the hidden system partition and re-install DSM. It will not affect anything on volume1, where all of your data is stored including the Plex folder.

After installing DSM, you will need to re-configure DSM and add any apps including Plex back onto your NAS. Follow all of the instructions shown in this FAQ's when installing Plex and you should be good to go with a nice fresh install of DSM on your NAS. :)

Q21: Why wont my NAS display subtitles?

In most cases, displaying subtitles requires Plex to 'transcode' the video file in order to 'sync' the subtitle text with the video stream. Most NAS are not capable of doing that and you end up with an error message that states something to the effect of: "Error: This server is not powerful enough to convert video".

Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid this issue unless you:

1. Upgrade to a NAS that is capable of transcoding (that can be very expensive, starting around $2000.00)
    2. Install Plex Media Server on a PC/Mac/Linux machine.
    3. Use a device connected to your TV such as a Roku, Raspberry Pi 2 with RasPlex, Apple TV etc...
      (you may still have issues with some of these devices and subtitles, so check before you buy)

Q22: Why do I get "You do not have permission to access this server"?

Follow this guide: Access Special Server Settings

Note: For the Synology NAS you need to follow the instructions for Linux in the guide above. Also, on a Synology NAS, you will find the Preferences.xml file here: Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

If the Plex folder is not visible in File Station, Finder or File Explorer, then see Q7a.

If the above does not work, then try the following:
    1. Sign out of the Plex/Web app.
    2. Stop PMS from running in Package Center->Installed->Plex->Action drop down.
    3. Follow the guide above and remove the PlexOnlineMail, PlexOnlineToken and PlexOnlineUsername entries.
    4. Start PMS from Package Center->Installed->Plex->Action drop down.
    5. Try the local Plex/Web app again. You will more than likely be asked to sign in again.

Q23: Can I use the media files on my second NAS without copying them to the other NAS?

The answer is yes you can, simply perform the following:

Note:
    MainNAS = The NAS you have Plex Media Server installed on.
    SecNAS = The NAS where you have additional media stored.

1. On MainNAS, go to Control Panel->Shared Folders and create a folder. (any name will do EG: SecNAS-Files)
    2. Give the folder read/write permissions for both Plex and admin.
    3. Open File Station and click on the folder you just created to highlight it.
    4. Click on 'Tools' and then 'Mount Remote Folder'
    5. Fill in the details of the dialogue box. For folder, the address to your SecNAS will look something like this: \192.168.x.x\Video (replace the x.x with SecNAS's actual IP address) Video will be the folder on the SecNAS that you wish to use.
    6. Use the credentials that you normally use to log into the SecNAS, EG: admin + password (I don't recommend using a User account, only use the Admin account for this.)
    7. Map to, click on the 'browse' button and navigate to the folder you just created on the MainNAS. It will add the address and then append 'Video' or whatever name it thinks is appropriate to the end. That will become a subfolder of the folder you first created. (EG: SecNAS-Files/Video)(it could also be SecNAS-Files/Video/Movies etc. depending on the folder/s you are using)
    8. Click on 'Mount'
    9. If you have gotten this far then you should have successfully created a remote folder on your MainNAS that reads the contents from the SecNAS :)
    10. Open Plex/Web and click on the + icon to create a new library or click on the pencil icon beside an existing library to edit it's details.
    11. In the dialogue that opens, follow the wizard or click on folder (on the left) and then click on add folder and navigate to the folder that was created at step 7 and click 'add'.
    12. Click create Library.

If all has gone well you should have added a second folder to an existing library or created a new library in Plex that reads the contents of a folder on your SecNAS :)

Q24: Can I use iTunes on my Synology NAS?

The answer is NO.

You cannot use iTunes on a Synology NAS. You can however, import your iTunes playlists, but first you have to copy your iTunes music files to the NAS, preferably using the same folder structure as on your PC/Mac.

1. Turn on 'Share iTunes library XML with other applications' in iTunes Preferences->Advanced
    2. Copy the iTunes Music Library.xml file to your NAS, but do not place it in your Plex media folders.
    3. Edit the iTunes Music Library.xml on your NAS and change ALL of the file addresses to match the locations on your NAS.
    4. Enter the address of the iTunes Music Library.xml file on your NAS into the iTunes Music Library Path field in Plex Settings->server->channels->show advanced
    5. Turn on 'Enable iTunes Channel' in Plex Settings->server->channels->show advanced
    6. Open Plex and click on Playlists, then click on the 'gear' icon (top right of screen) and select 'import iTunes playlist'

If all has gone well, Plex should now display your iTunes playlists. If not, then check that you have used the correct file paths in the iTunes Music Library.xml and try again.

Please Note: You may need to remove any reference to smart playlist criteria in the iTunes Music Library.xml file before Plex is able to read the file correctly.

Also see this forum post for details regarding the location links in the iTunes Music Library.xml file: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1193674/#Comment_1193674

Q25: Migrating Plex from other platforms to a Synology NAS.

First, you need to locate the Plex Media Server folder on your current system.

See this guide to locate the Plex data folders.

Then:
    1. Install Plex on the Synology NAS. See Q3 for details.
    2. Open Plex in your browser by typing in http://Your-NAS-IP-Address:32400 and then:

• disable automatic library update
    • disable periodic library update
    • disable 'Empty trash automatically after every scan'

All three settings are to be found under Settings->Server->Library.
    3. Then open Package Center->Installed->Plex->Action Drop Down and select 'Stop' to stop Plex from running.
    4. Open DSM Control Panel->Shared Folders and create a folder named Media or similar and give that folder read/write access for both Plex and admin.
    5. Copy your media files and folders to the folder you created in step 4 and wherever possible, maintain the same folder structure as on the machine you are migrating from.
    6. Copy everything from the 'Plex Media Server' folder on your machine to: /volume1/Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server on your Synology NAS and overwrite all files except for plexmediaserver.pid and Preferences.xml.
    7. See Q18 and set the correct permissions for the Plex folder and Media folder on the Synology NAS.
    8. Restart Plex and open it in your browser.
    9. Edit the Libraries on the Plex home page by hovering the mouse over a library name and then click on 'Edit'. In the dialogue that opens, click on Add Folders on the left, then add the current folder on your NAS for that library. Delete the old address and click on 'Save Changes'.
    10. Update the library, Plex will then rescan the folder you added and it will correct the new folder address for your media files.
    11. Done!

To migrate from Synology to another platform, is pretty much a reversal of the steps above.

Q26: I think my Plex database is corrupt, how do I fix it?

You will find the following two articles helpful, but you should also be aware that these articles are intended for advanced users.

Note: If you are not confident with following the commands and procedures laid out in the articles, then it would be best to seek help from an experienced user. If you get things wrong you may have to reinstall Plex and/or recreate all of your libraries.

Restore a Database Backed Up via Scheduled Tasks
    Repair a Corrupt Database

You should also note that the articles above are not guaranteed to correct any issue you may be having.

Q27: How do I install Plex on another volume?

Note: Since Plex version 1.7.0, you can now select the volume to install on when you manually install Plex. All of the Plex program files will be saved in a hidden folder on the selected volume. Also, the Plex shared folder will be saved to the volume you selected at the time of the installation.

If installing Plex version 1.7.0 or higher, follow these steps:

1. Uninstall PMS
    2. In Control Panel->Shared Folders, rename the existing Plex share to a different name (EG: PlexOld)
    3. Create a new Plex share on the desired volume and give it read/write permissions for admin and Plex
    4. Move the contents of PlexOld to the new Plex shared folder using File Station
    5. Delete the PlexOld share
    6. Install PMS version 1.7.0 or higher. It will automatically find the Plex shared folder in its new location

If you still have an older version of Plex, in order to install Plex on another volume you must follow these steps:

1. Install Plex and select the desired volume
    2. Make sure Plex is NOT running
    3. Copy the entire 'Plex' folder on volume1 to your desired volume
    4. SSH into the NAS (See Q14 for more details)
    5. cd /var/packages/Plex Media Server/target
    6. cp plex_library_path /volume1/Plex/plex_library_path (Leave the PuTTY or Terminal Window open)
    7. Open DSM File Station and edit plex_library_path See Note 1 below.
    8. Change the path from the default /volume1/Plex/Library/Application Support See Note 2 below.
    9. Save the file
    10. Go back to the terminal window or PuTTY window
    11. Type in cp /volume1/Plex/plex_library_path plex_library_path
    12. See Q18 and set the file and owner permissions for the Plex folder in it's new location. See Note 3 below.

Note 1: Use the Synology Text Editor to edit the file. If Text Editor is not installed, go to Package Center->Utilities and install Text Editor.

Note 2: If you wish to install Plex on volume2 for example, then change the path to /volume2/Plex/Library/Application Support

Note 3: Replace cd volume1 with cd volumeX where X is the number of the volume where the Plex folder has been copied to in step 3.

NOTE: This does not survive an update, so you may need to repeat the process after updating Plex, unless you are updating to 1.7.0 or higher.

Q28: How do I check video files for errors on my Windows machine?

Download and extract theVideoCheck.bat file on your desktop. (The .zip file is attached at the bottom of this post)
    Edit the bat file and change the "H:\Convert Video" to be a location on your PC that contains video files. You may also change (*.avi) to any valid file extension such as .mkv, .mp4 etc...

You may also use a UNC address such as "\\DiskStation\Media\Movies" as the location of your video files to be checked.
    You may also check multiple file extensions at the same time by adding them like so: (*.avi,*.mp4,*.mkv)

So that Windows is able to find the ffmpeg.exe file, you need to add it's path to the System path variable.
    First, unzip the ffmpeg file onto C:\ drive and make a note of the path to the ffmpeg.exe file. EG: C:\Program Files (x86)\ffmpeg\bin

Then, right click on the start menu and select 'System' then click on 'Advanced system settings' -> 'Enviroment Variables' then under 'System variables' click on 'path' to highlight it and then click on 'Edit...'.

Click on 'New' and add the path to ffmpeg. EG: C:\Program Files (x86)\ffmpeg\bin. Click on OK and close all windows.
    Now reboot the PC for the System path to take effect.

After rebooting you may double click on the .bat file you edited earlier and ffmpeg will start to recurse through all the folders found in the path you set EG: "H:\Convert Video"

If you have a lot of files in your path then this batch file will take a long time to complete as each file will be read and filtered through ffmpeg. Each file will take approx. 3 or 4 minutes.

Any errors found with your files will be written in the error.log file which will be saved to the same path as the .bat file.

The error.log file will contain the address and name of the file being checked followed by any errors found in that file.

Note: Not all errors found are 'hard' errors that will prevent your files from playing, but like anything, it is always best to make sure your files have no errors.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
This discussion has been closed.