Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Plug-in: VideoRip

suivethefirstsuivethefirst Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass
edited January 2012 in Plex Channel Plugins
Rip your DVDs without leaving Plex
UPDATED: 13/01/11 - New version replacing the previously broken version. Apologies.

UPDATED: 30/12/10 - New version includes ability to create a subfolder to contain the video you're ripping and add subtitles.

Hi,

Here's a new plug-in which gives you a simple interface to rip your DVDs without leaving the Plex interface. Don't know if anyone will find this useful but it saves me a bit of hassle as my only Mac is a mini attached to the TV and it's a bit inelegant to drop out to the OS to rip a DVD on the living room TV!

There are a couple of points to make - firstly you must have HandBrakeCLI installed as this is what does the actual ripping. You must also have VLC installedas this allows your DVDs to be decrypted.

NOTE: Both the above have to go into your /Applications folder in OS X.

When you first run the plugin you have to go to Settings and choose an output folder. There are a couple of other options in there, whether you want logging, if you want to eject the disc when finished and what preset you want to use with HandBrake.

The unusual thing about this plug-in is that you get no feedback when it runs successfully. When you start a rip you get "Waiting for a response...". This will disappear after a while and the rip will continue in the background. I strongly recommend that you set the disc to eject when finised in Settings otherwise you don't really know that the rip is finished. On my Mac Mini using the "Film" preset a rip takes anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes. If you rip to your Movies folder Plex should have already populated your movies with the metadata by the time the rip finishes.

Have a play about with it and let me know if it works for you. If I get time I'll add a few bits and bobs like checking if there's a rip running and cancelling it etc.

Also can someone with more than one optical drive try this and let me know what happens? It should work okay as long as you only have one DVD inserted.

Cheers.

Forgot to say - if you turn on logging it logs a txt file to your desktop. This is just the output of HandBrakeCLI so if something goes wrong you have somewhere to start looking.

Forgot to also say - this plug-in will rip only the longest title on the DVD. Maybe in future I can get it to be a bit more clever around ripping multiple titles from the same DVD, but for now it's movies only really - it won't work with a TV series where you have multiple episodes on the same disc.

Comments

• marklightmarklight Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,006 Plex Pass
    This sounds amazing. I'll test it out in a bit. Does the plugin allow you to set the name of the file you want to create?
  • hifimachifimac Members, Plex Pass Posts: 39 Plex Pass
    NICE! You RAWK!
  • suivethefirstsuivethefirst Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass
    marklight wrote:

This sounds amazing. I'll test it out in a bit. Does the plugin allow you to set the name of the file you want to create?

It does - use the same format you normally would for your videos with year in brackets if you need and no extension. The extension will be added automatically depending on the preset you choose.
    Suive,

I'm ripping a DVD right now - everything appears to be going great! One question however: does the app put the video file into a folder after it's done ripping? All of my movies are each located in separate folders.
    marklight wrote:

Suive,

I'm ripping a DVD right now - everything appears to be going great! One question however: does the app put the video file into a folder after it's done ripping? All of my movies are each located in separate folders.

Sorry - I didn't think of that as I just dump my movie files into a single folder and let Plex sort out the rest. I'll see if I can add that as an option.

Cheers.
    awesome. I've tested this with 2 dvds... it works GREAT! I think this is the definitive solution that so many people wanted. My only wish is that I had it when Plex first came out haha!

AWESOME WORK.
  • scoobydoofusscoobydoofus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 72 Plex Pass
    This sounds really cool and I'm looking forward to trying it out (especially if you can get it to output to a folder like marklight wanted, I use the same system).
  • Redman333Redman333 Members Posts: 7
    I have handbrake and VLC but I don't have installed in my applications folder. I'm new to Mac so how do I go about getting them installed in the Applications folder
  • pooploserpooploser Plex Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 958 Plex Ninja
    copy paste! :)
    Alaska skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
    Alaska/Dark skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
    My flickr account
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,402 Plex Ninja
    Can you post some specifics about the flags handbrake.cli is using? Detelecine? Decomb? etc.

Thanks!

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

Redman333 wrote:

I have handbrake and VLC but I don't have installed in my applications folder. I'm new to Mac so how do I go about getting them installed in the Applications folder

You need to copy and paste both HandBrakeCLI (not Handbrake) and VLC into the Applications folder with finder. Just download them, copy, browse to that folder and paste.

Can you post some specifics about the flags handbrake.cli is using? Detelecine? Decomb? etc.

Thanks!

It's using the built-in presets which you can choose from the Settings menu - here's a link to the details for each preset. I didn't include the likes of PSP, iPhone etc as they aren't really relevant. HandBrake Presets

Is this what you mean or do you need additional options? The built-in presets suit me, but I'm sure they won't necessarily suit everyone.
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,402 Plex Ninja
    Suive wrote:

It's using the built-in presets which you can choose from the Settings menu - here's a link to the details for each preset. I didn't include the likes of PSP, iPhone etc as they aren't really relevant. HandBrake Presets

Is this what you mean or do you need additional options? The built-in presets suit me, but I'm sure they won't necessarily suit everyone.

Cool thanks! Nice app.

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

does this app now put the movie into a folder?
  • onlyabitmadonlyabitmad Members Posts: 1
    Suive wrote:

Hi,
    really like the look and ease of this! Thanks, however being new to Macs and even newer to Plex can you guide me through the setup?
    I keep getting an error that the output file is incorrect, problem being that I don't know how to input the filepath.
    On my Mac Mini I am using "/users/myname/movies/mymovies" Doesn't seem to like that, any help gratefully received.
    Thanks
  • supercollidersupercollider Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43

Hi,
    really like the look and ease of this! Thanks, however being new to Macs and even newer to Plex can you guide me through the setup?
    I keep getting an error that the output file is incorrect, problem being that I don't know how to input the filepath.
    On my Mac Mini I am using "/users/myname/movies/mymovies" Doesn't seem to like that, any help gratefully received.
    Thanks

Worked for me with: /users/myname/desktop/nameofmovie
    And by the way: this app is awesome!

Hi,
    Thanks

Paths in OS X are case sensitive, so it should be /Users/yourname/whatever - use finder to check if you've created any of the folders with a leading capital letter or anything like that. The script will fail with an error if it can't find the path - it won't attempt to create any folders.

Cheers.
    marklight wrote:

does this app now put the movie into a folder?

Sorry for the delay, but hopefully I'm going to get a chance to work on this this week.

The way this will probably work is that the script will create a folder in the path you've specified in Settings with the same name that you've given to the video file. It might not be possible to get input twice when you select Rip Now for you to give the folder to be created a different name, but I'll see what I can do.

Cheers.
  • jammyteajammytea Members, Plex Pass Posts: 57 Plex Pass
    Thanks, this looks cool!
    But I'm having trouble seeing it... I double click, and the installer says it installs correctly, so it should then show up within Plexapp? In Plugins>Video plugins.
    Sorry to be such a noob.
    edited December 2010
    jammytea wrote:

Thanks, this looks cool!
    But I'm having trouble seeing it... I double click, and the installer says it installs correctly, so it should then show up within Plexapp? In Plugins>Video plugins.
    Sorry to be such a noob.

No it's in Applications menu. Make sure you didn't hide it in your Home menu