If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Client for Apple TV (2G)

Comments

• realitymonkeyrealitymonkey Posts: 120Members
    edited November 2010
    Works perfectly thanks for all your work on this

Now to programme my Harmony Remote
  • RockStarRockStar Posts: 2,053Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Great stuff! 4 days til my ATV arrives. Can hardly wait!
    Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?
  • Simon PickardSimon Pickard Posts: 30Members
    Hello all,

Firstly great news it's out there.. So does anyone have it up and running yet?

Also.. What are the differences between low and high quality?

Regards,
    Simon
  • quiqueckquiqueck Plex Dev Team Posts: 329Members
    edited November 2010

What are the differences between low and high quality?

Hi Simon.

low (the regular PMS quality) gives you an average of 500kbps for a 12mbps source stream. With the new one you will get 1.5mbps for the same source.
    Creator of KLEXi HD • InfoSupportKnown IssuesTwitter
  • plexoplexo Posts: 13Members ✭✭
    WOW...is all I can say...It works and it is brilliant. Thank you for everything.

For anyone else trying this, please read and read again the instructions and follow them exactly. I ran into a few problems, but only because i did not pay enough attention,

Thanks again man, this really is what I ve been waiting for :D
    edited November 2010
    wouldnt it be possible to increase the bitrate alot more than that? plex for ios supports 2 mbps doesnt it? as this wont be used with 3g anyways, couldnd we go with 5 or something, and maybe 720p?
    Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?
    It supports up to 2mbps. You will only get a 2mbps stream if you use an uncompressed Full HD as source. For regular compressed bluray sources it is a lower bitrate (which is absolutely enough for an iPad or iPhone 4). I tested with up to 6mbps, but that was pushing the ATV (as it ran into memory problems and could not handle the amount of data sent by PMS).
    yea i agree quality is more than sufficient on iphone and ipad, im just a little worried 1,5 mbps might be a little low for say, 40"? what do you think after having tried it yourself?
    My ATV is hocked up to a 720p projector on a 2.4m wide screen (the one from the video). You clearly see the difference between the regular and the updated ffmpeg. But while watching a movie the difference between the 1.5 and 6 mbps stream were not that obvious.

I guess on a Full HD-TV you might have an advantage if PMS would supply a 1080p stream, but bitrates beyond 6mbps (which we would need in that case) are too much for the ATVs RAM (an average of 6 is already pushing it!).
    edited November 2010
    well if youre using it with a pj and that looks good, im guessing its gonna look pretty great on a tv. can hardly wait to get my atv now

btw, will adding remote servers work at this point or will the atv just magically find pms using bonjour?
    edited November 2010
    just wanted to post my observations so far:
    my hardware: mac mini latest gen, airport extreme, all on wireless n to the apple tv
    using the high quality ffmpeg:
    -720p mkv, short buffering gaps, long play between them
    -1080p mkv, log buffering gaps, short play between

i guess this is cpu related more than anything

other points:
    -had a 1080p file that was stored on the nas and would not start playing at all, copying it now to test it locally
    -skip forward makes it exit the movie
    -with the high quality plugin i find the quality more than acceptable, too bad my cpu doesn t seem to handle it
    -i have an accessory chevron on the second item throughout the lists

i will give it some more tests tomorrow, need to sleep now :P

GREAT WORK

LE: I was even able to see the status of my torrent downloads with the transmission plugin. superb
    alex: where are your files located? locally on the mini or tranfered wireless to your mini prior to pms re-encoding?
    RockStar wrote:

alex: where are your files located? locally on the mini or tranfered wireless to your mini prior to pms re-encoding?

the ones i posted about above were locally on the mini.

I am just testing now with a 720p mkv streamed wirelessly from the nas to the mac mini and then transcoded to the appletv, it played flawlessly for a minute or so then errored with " an error occured loading this content "

so to summarize:
    -got one 1080p mkv that plays on plex itself, but does not play on any of the mobile apps or appletv, so transcoding problem i guess
    -got 1080p mkv s locally on the mac mini streamed wirelessly to the appletv that play but with a lot of buffering
    -got 720p mkv s locally on the mac mini that play with little buffering, just enough to make it annoying
    -got 720p mkv s on a nas, wirelssly read by mac mini plex and transcoded to apple tv, they play but exit after 1-2 minutes

i hope this helps
    [attachment=4761:69339_454259533690_647413690_5726205_978557_n.jpg]
    All works flawlessy for me (on gigabit Ethernet) thanks again how do you get plugins to show ?
  • SkuiD87SkuiD87 Posts: 287Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Works great for me, I'll post some observations/issues I've run into tomorrow. Need some sleep now.

For the most part...works brilliantly.

Kudos!

Hardware:
    iMac 27" 3.5GHz i7 (Quad-core) 16GB RAM
    Storage:
    6TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800

6TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800
    2TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800
    Network:
    Time Capsule (Airport) Wireless N network (802.11ac)

Virgin Media UK - 120Mbps Down, 12Mbps Up

alex: thx for clarifying. maybe wired network would help? although you would think that woulnd be the problem if the files play flawlessly on the minis plex client. maybe sending and recieving data at the same time decreases the wifi throughoutput?
  • scross28scross28 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Just got home and saw this!
    I'm up and running and its awesome!!!
    I haven't installed the newer version of FFMPEG yet but I think I will.
    GREAT WORK!!!
    Looking forward to this maturing.
    Thanks again. This is how home entertainment should be.
  • evgenyyevgenyy Posts: 18Members
    Wow! I registered just to say thank you for this! This is the best news I've heard today. Can anyone confirm whether ffmpeg will transcode audio track into 6 channel ac3? That would make ATV2 the holy Grail of home entertainment for me :D Thank you again!
  • OmegaRed1723OmegaRed1723 Posts: 320Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Wow, thank you so much for your efforts quiqueck.

I was able to install the plugin on the ATV without issue. I also installed the upgraded ffmpeg. Plex shows up on the ATV, and I am able to connect to the server and see all my media content. However, anything I select to play brings up the following message: "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later." I've tried .mkv, .avi, .iso, and .mp4 files, all with the same result. My setup is as follows:

• Plex Media Server running on 2010 Mac mini
    • All media stored on Drobo connected to mini via FW800
    • Mini connected to Airport Extreme 5ghz N router
    • ATV2 hard wired to second Airport Extreme base station (operating as a repeater)

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue?
    @omegared - do you have an iOS device up and working on the same network ?