If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Client for Apple TV (2G)

Comments

• scross28scross28 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I just updated my FFMPEG. 720P stuff looks great on my 58" Plasma.
    It looks like its converting the audio to aac stereo.
    Still lots of improvements to be made, but holy crap this was fast!
    I'm not sure what the hardware limitations are but being able to have the AppleTV play the footage natively would be the best. My MAC Mini sits at about 85% CPU streaming with the new FFMPEG. It would be great to be able to work on my machine while someone is watching something.
    Never the less. This is great progress and all involved should pat themselves on the back.
  • scross28scross28 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Here are my specs for those interested:

MAC Mini 2.26 Core2Duo
    8GB RAM
    4.5TB RAID5 using MediaStream Enclosure via FW800
    Gigabit Ethernet into Linksys Gigabit Wireless N Router running DDWRT

Apple TV 2
    Fast Ethernet into same Linksys Gigabit Wireless N Router
  • OmegaRed1723OmegaRed1723 Posts: 320Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@omegared - do you have an iOS device up and working on the same network ?

Yeah, I can stream to my iPad without issue. Streaming a 720p .mkv episode of 'Justified' as I type this.
  • kylerwkylerw Posts: 319Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    How large of a list can this support before it times out? Has anyone experienced this yet?
    Kyler W
  • OmegaRed1723OmegaRed1723 Posts: 320Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    dirRtyjoe wrote:

How large of a list can this support before it times out? Has anyone experienced this yet?

I have well over 200 films in one folder and it displayed them all (my actual playback problem aside). I'm sure that's small compared to some of the collections out there though! B)
    200 sounds reasonably.. I have two lists with 400+ but haven't had a chance to test it - anyone with any info on larger lists?
    Kyler W
  • RockStarRockStar Posts: 2,053Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2010
    my movie dir has about 1200 movies. i hope thats not a showstopper. works fine with both ipad and iphone. will test in four days
    Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?
  • grahamrbgrahamrb Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Awesome work, made my day. Will be jailbreaking my ATV asap! Thanks for your hard work, can't believe how quickly this has been released.
  • gergesimgergesim Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass
    Quiqueck, this is amazing. Seriously outstanding work on this. I had only planned to buy an ATV if plex was an option, and I'm glad to see the effort picking up SERIOUS speed.

So, when can we expect a client for android? There'd be 20 bucks in it for you :)
  • stenarstenar Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass
    quiqueck wrote:

With the above ffmpeg version my 2.4GHz C2D is at its limits
    However, everything with an i7 should be able to handle it.

Bummer. My iMac doesn't seem to be powerful enough to handle higher quality video. Videos freeze every 5 seconds for about 10 seconds. :(
  • Simon PickardSimon Pickard Posts: 30Members
    stenar wrote:

Bummer. My iMac doesn't seem to be powerful enough to handle higher quality video. Videos freeze every 5 seconds for about 10 seconds. :(

Is transcoding a cpu only thing then? No way for the GPU to help out I guess?
    I have a base mac mini 2010. I guess it's low end encode for me?
    Si
  • iphoneblogriphoneblogr Posts: 5Members
    Tutorial here if anyone wants it:

http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/11/plex-ported-to-jailbroken-apple-tv-2g/

Video tutorial coming later tonight. Stay tuned
    http://iphoneblogr.com - Jailbreak and Unlock news and tutorials iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch
    http://appletvblogr.com - Apple TV Jailbreaking and Customization

Tutorial here if anyone wants it:

http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/11/plex-ported-to-jailbroken-apple-tv-2g/

Video tutorial coming later tonight. Stay tuned

Didn't you just repost exactly what is in the OP?
    Kyler W
  • brianbuquoibrianbuquoi Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Just wanna say this is awesome. Been a lover of Plex for a long time and this is the icing on the cake for me. Great job to all involved. Works decently well and is very stable for a beta.

Being that I'm streaming from a Core Duo (not C2D) mac mini from the stone ages, I didn't do the high ffmpeg, however on my 40" LCD that the ATV2 is hooked to, it doesn't look bad at all. At least I didn't think so.

It's not amazing, but definitely watchable with no skips or anything except on a few 720p mkv's.

Awesome work here. Great job.
  • quiqueckquiqueck Plex Dev Team Posts: 329Members

...However, anything I select to play brings up the following message: "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later." I've tried .mkv, .avi, .iso, and .mp4 files, all with the same result. ...

Sounds like the "prepare your media server" part did not work.

Please make sure that you have the latest PMS installed and check the history in plexonline to verify that a new system plug-in was installed.
    Creator of KLEXi HD • InfoSupportKnown IssuesTwitter
  • thescragsterthescragster Posts: 9Members
    iPhoneBlogr has now released a full video tutorial on how to install Plex on the Apple TV 2G, check it out!

http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/11/how-to-install-plex-onto-apple-tv-2g-play-almost-any-video-file-type-video-tutorial/
  • sandboysandboy Posts: 17Members
    edited November 2010

Wow, thank you so much for your efforts quiqueck.

I was able to install the plugin on the ATV without issue. I also installed the upgraded ffmpeg. Plex shows up on the ATV, and I am able to connect to the server and see all my media content. However, anything I select to play brings up the following message: "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later." I've tried .mkv, .avi, .iso, and .mp4 files, all with the same result. My setup is as follows:

• Plex Media Server running on 2010 Mac mini
    • All media stored on Drobo connected to mini via FW800
    • Mini connected to Airport Extreme 5ghz N router running DD-WRT
    • ATV2 hard wired to second Airport Extreme base station (operating as a repeater)

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue?

I have the same problem too. I did get the latest beta update after enable it, When I go to Plex Online and search for updates it only fins update for IMDB plugin and when I install it i get Successfully installed but if I go back to check for updates its still there (doubt that IMDB plugin doesnt matter this tho?). I haven't udated ffmpeg yet.
    It works fine to my other IOS devices so it most have something to do with the "Prepare the Media Server" part. I can list all my movies but cant play them.
    The instructions say "it needed some tweaks before it would talk to the ATV" and "you need to tell your PMS to download beta plug-ins" but I only get that to download a beta update? are im missing something here?

My setup is:
    • Plex Media Server running on Mac mini
    • All media stored on PC shared via SMB. (gief Drobo :D)
    • PC, Mac and ATV2 are connected to linksys 610n via cable. PC and ATV are connected via a switch if that could matter.

Would appreciate if someone could give me some help cause this would be awesome :)
  • quiqueckquiqueck Plex Dev Team Posts: 329Members
    sandboy wrote:

I have the same problem too. I did get the latest beta update after enable it, When I go to Plex Online and search for updates it only fins update for IMDB plugin and when I install it i get Successfully installed but if I go back to check for updates its still there (doubt that IMDB plugin doesnt matter this tho?) I haven't changed bitrate yet.
    It works fine to my other IOS devices so it most have something to do with the "Prepare the Media Server" part. I can list all my movies but cant play them.
    The instructions say "it needed some tweaks before it would talk to the ATV" and "you need to tell your PMS to download beta plug-ins" but I only get that to download a beta update? is that wrong?
    Would appriciate if someone could give me some help cause this would be awesome :)

Make sure you are running at least Plex 9.2.2. Then go into Plex, then Plex Online, then More and select History. Check for the latest entry for "System" and confirm that the version number is at least 191.1178.

Also make sure that you used the http://localhost:32400/system/:/prefs/set?AS_BETA=1 link on the machine that runs your PMS before you checked for updates!
    Creator of KLEXi HD • InfoSupportKnown IssuesTwitter
  • sandboysandboy Posts: 17Members
    edited November 2010
    quiqueck wrote:

Make sure you are running at least Plex 9.2.2. Then go into Plex, then Plex Online, then More and select History. Check for the latest entry for "System" and confirm that the version number is at least 191.1178.

Also make sure that you used the http://localhost:32400/system/:/prefs/set?AS_BETA=1 link on the machine that runs your PMS before you checked for updates!

I should have the latest Plex version but how do I see that? When I got to Preference > About, I don't get version info :(
    When I go to About Plex Media Server I get version 0.9.1.1-9c8a497.

I did got to www.plexapp.com/download.php and downloaded the latest there (0.9.1.2) and replaces my current (Plex Media Server is still 0.9.1.1-9c8a497).
    And then I did run http://localhost:32400/system/:/prefs/set?AS_BETA=1 again, but nothing new happened (I did get new updates after doing this first time but not after reinstalled Plex).

In Plex online history i got this from today:
    System Version 191.1178 (Release notes: 2.0.2)
    Framework Version 190.1177 (Release notes: 2.0.2)

EDIT: It started to work after I did this so other that get this problem even tho you got the Plex Beta plugin, test to download and replace your Plex.app
    EDIT2: Now I have Plex Media Server Version 0.9.1.2-c4cb0fd So i guess the only problem was that i had to old version.
  • PCKidPCKid Posts: 123Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I asked the Plex guys if they were going to put Plex on the APTV2. Answer. Never gonna happen. :0) when this is all systems go full on I will buy an APTV2 just to get that. Currently have a hacked WD TV Live with custom movie templates that look sweet but Plex just does it better. Especially TV Shows.