If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Client for Apple TV (2G)

Comments

• sandboysandboy Posts: 17Members
    How can I configure this to connect to a specific Host:port with user name and password? Any plist to edit or something? Cause that would mean i could bring my media library to friends, how awesome wouldn't that be :D
  • paytapayta Posts: 1Members
    Just to say thank you

Awesome application on a smart and beautiful @tv2

One thing about forward during the movie, is it possible to add this or it's an option in Preferences menu??

Good job
  • PCKidPCKid Posts: 123Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    scross28 wrote:

Here are my specs for those interested:

MAC Mini 2.26 Core2Duo
    8GB RAM
    4.5TB RAID5 using MediaStream Enclosure via FW800
    Gigabit Ethernet into Linksys Gigabit Wireless N Router running DDWRT

Apple TV 2
    Fast Ethernet into same Linksys Gigabit Wireless N Router

Could you explain DDWRT to me please? My whole house is wireless N Tp-Link gear. 300mbps. I can stream 720p mkvs from my i7 iMac to my WD TV Live with a Belkin N USB plug in it no probs. So I'm hoping that an ATV2 will do it as well. Obviously hacked but will wait till this Plex hack is 100% working first.
  • scross28scross28 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    DDWRT is a custom firmware for routers.

www.dd-wrt.com
  • EligosEligos Posts: 153Members ✭✭
    I am about to try this too. Bought the ATV2 last week, JB'ed it installed Nito TV but reverted back to factory setting because of the wireless password bug.
    Now I don't care, if it means I have Plex running on my ATV2, I can live with it forever if need be. I'm sure the Pwanage guys will fix this bug quickly.
    Quiqueck, I salute you and thank you! Looking forward to more updates from you.
    27" BENQ Monitor, Haswell 4790K Intel i7 Hackintosh: 16GB RAM: Samsung EVO 750 256 GB APFS SSD: OSX 10.13.0 Entertainment Center :Minix U1
  • evgenyyevgenyy Posts: 18Members
    This is great so far. Does anyone know if ffmpeg settings can be changed to encode audio in 6 channel AC3 rather than 2 channel AAC? I thought you can add advanced settings somewhere in ffmpeg to tell it which streams converted to which (i.e. add "-ac 6" line somewhere).
  • HealeydaveHealeydave Posts: 279Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2010
    WOW, Awesome, this has to be one of the smoothest hack's I've done in ages.

Just took me about 10 mins and I'm testing playing the new Hawaii-Five-O from my Plex library on my ATV2.

For $99 bucks, I fink this is a no-brainer to drop one of these on the back of all my secondary TV's.

:-)

Edit:
    The only problem I have is fast forwards doesn't seem to work, it comes up on the time line and accepts faster speeds but the movie carries on playing in normal time.
    I can live with that if thats the only problem in this first release !!

 MacMini 2.4 GHz Core2Duo 8Gb DRAM - PMS   |    ATV4 Plex Client   |    iPadMini - UnityRemote    |    iPadAir - Plex for iOS   |   2 x  iPad3 - Plex for iOS   |    iMac 27" Retina 4.0 GHz Intel Core i7 24Gb DRAM

Panasonic TX-L55DT50B (55 inch) 3D LED   |    Sony DA2400ES HDMI Receiver   |    Vu+ Solo 2 E2 Satellite STB   |   Drobo 18Tb Mass Storage Unit   |   2 x LG 32LA620V 3D LED & 1 x LG 42LN613V (Bedroom TVs)

• SkuiD87SkuiD87 Posts: 287Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hey guys,

I'll post a quick update about my current findings. I'll post relevant details of my setup as that may help in understanding some issues...

Hardware:
    iMac 27"
    2.8GHz i7 (Quadcore)
    8GB RAM
    4TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800

Network:
    Time Capsule (Airport Express) Wireless N network

Living Room:
    AppleTV
    40" HDTV (Sony Bravia)

Running Plex (.9.2.2)
    Updated ffmpeg (for higher quality)

Media Library:
    My Media is split up into the following Sections:
    All Movies - 604 Movies
    Foreign Movies - 20 Movies
    Kids Movies - 55 Movies
    Kung Fu Movies - 20 Movies
    TV Shows - 14 Shows

All content is HD (some 720p, some 1080p) with the exception of a couple of TV Shows (which are SD)

First off, I have to give credit to quiqueck for getting this out unbelievably quickly! I have to say, I'm taken aback at how well this works for a first build! Amazing work!

It connects to my server without any issues. I can browse through my videos without any problems (even the 'All Movies' list with 604 Movies!) It only crashed and reset a couple time whilst browsing but surprisinly, worked fine most of the time.

As for streaming, I've had mixed results. I need to do some more testing, but so far I think it's down to whether the files are 720p or 1080p.

Streaming Results:
    - SD content always plays fine. No lag or buffer delay.
    - 720p Content also plays fine. Again no lag/delay.
    - 1080p Content plays fine, but will buffer every few minutes, delay is only a few seconds but is definitely unwatchable becuase it happens so frequently.

So far I've only come across one movie that does not play at all. That is Avatar. It's a 1080p file with a high bitrate.

One thing I'm not sure about, is the delay comng from the Network or from the iMac (during the transcoding process)? I would have thought that my iMac would be able to handle the transcoding. And the Wireless N should be more than sufficient too right? Which one is causing the buffering delay?

I wish I hadn't updated ffmpeg right away, would have been nice to compare the quality between the two. But I can confirm that the new ffmpeg looks GREAT on my 40" TV. 720p content plays smoothly & look awesome. It's very impressive.

Bugs/Issues I've come across:
    - Fast Forward/Rewind does not work.
    - The 'time elapsed/time remaining' is always some really high figure and does not update as you progress through the film.
    - Seems to have problems playing high-bitrate 1080p MKV's.
    - Occasionally crashes (probably due to high volume of films).
    - Some films will start playing and then suddenly stop and display the "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later" message.

Overall, I'm amazed at how solid this is for a first release. I look forward to the development of this app/plugin. Very, very exciting stuff.

Hardware:
    iMac 27" 3.5GHz i7 (Quad-core) 16GB RAM
    Storage:
    6TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800

6TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800
    2TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800
    Network:
    Time Capsule (Airport) Wireless N network (802.11ac)

Virgin Media UK - 120Mbps Down, 12Mbps Up

• skimskim Posts: 1Members
    Any chance at PMS for Windows? I own a ATV2 already. Just don't own a Mac.
  • nerpissadnerpissad Plex Ninja Posts: 1,502Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    skim wrote:

Any chance at PMS for Windows? I own a ATV2 already. Just don't own a Mac.

a very adventurous member of these forums has already started working on a windows client for PMS. have a look here to find out more

[font="'Trebuchet MS"]What to do if you're new to Plex?
    [/font]
    [font="'Trebuchet MS"]First you should have a look at the [/font][font="'Trebuchet MS"]Plex Wiki[/font]
    [font="'Trebuchet MS"], its full of all sorts of useful information. For all initial set-up questions, the [/font][font="'Trebuchet MS"]screencasts[/font]
    [font="'Trebuchet MS"] are an invaluable source of answers.
    If you still can't solve your problem, your
    [/font]
    [font="'Trebuchet MS"]Plex log files[/font]
    [font="'Trebuchet MS"] are very useful source of inf[/font][font="'Trebuchet MS"]ormation. Zip them up and attach them to your post. [/font]
    [font="'Trebuchet MS"]
    [/font]
  • Aargh-a-KnotAargh-a-Knot Posts: 454Members
    Just ordered ny ATV... This is awesome! I recently replaced my hackintosh with an i7 iMac, and this will appease my need to be naughty and hack stuff. I just hope we get it running really well before Apple makes the App store official....
  • EligosEligos Posts: 153Members ✭✭
    Well, I'm up and running. A total of 10 min here too to set-up! WOW!!!
    27" BENQ Monitor, Haswell 4790K Intel i7 Hackintosh: 16GB RAM: Samsung EVO 750 256 GB APFS SSD: OSX 10.13.0 Entertainment Center :Minix U1
  • r.youdenr.youden Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    One thing that would make me run out and buy an AppleTV today is if you could access the media files directly from the ATV, and not require PMS running on another machine. For me this has always been the problem with the ATV, the need to have another machine running all the time.

At the moment I have an old mini connected to my TV and I would love to replace it with a little ATV but I really don't want to have to have that machine still running in another room.

Never-the-less, this work shows huge potential for the new AppleTV. Great work!
  • OmegaRed1723OmegaRed1723 Posts: 320Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2010
    Quiqueck, thanks for tanking the time to help those of us having issues. I decided to start over last night, so I downgraded to Plex 0.9.1.1 in order to get rid of the bleeding edge ffmpeg transcoder. I then upgraded back to 0.9.1.2-f06b3af, and ran the http://localhost:32400/system/:/prefs/set?AS_BETA=1 in a Safari window. When I checked for updates, I didn't get any, so I slept on it. This morning, I saw the post and checked the Plex Online History, and it had updated the System and Framework overnight. Tried a 1080p mkv rip of Avatar, and it cued up after about 20 seconds of the spinning wheel! I haven't tested an entire tv episode yet, so I can't speak to how it plays through, but this is definitely promising.

I did notice the quality of the playback was lower than on my iPad. If I install the newer build of ffmpeg that you suggested, is there an easier way to replace it with the original build, other than downgrading the whole Plex app? My mini is a 2010 model with 2.4ghz processor and I'm concerned that it might not have the juice required.
  • realitymonkeyrealitymonkey Posts: 120Members
    Ok so first off this is a great work in progress and really is good (I am currently thinking about building an i7 Hackintosh to be my Media Centre)

I am just wondering if the iOS version on the Apple TV allows you to run an independent application so it can look a bit more like Plex does and use the metadata from the PMS as when you compare this to Klexi and Plex in the iPhone the Apple TV seems like a rather large backward step ?

Is the Apple TV uniquely identified as compared to say an iPhone ? Because if so would it not be easier to ask the Plex developers to include transcoding that is more suited to the device (and thus increase the quality) ?

I only had a brief play with the Harmony Remote yesterday but has anyone managed to get the Apple TV (2G) working with the Harmony ?
  • skywiseskywise Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Has anyone tried plugins yet?
    This is the huge plus for me.
    I've got a nice quad core hackintosh in the basement that'll be happy to serve up gigabytes of media and I've just been waiting to find the right client for our TVs.

Sky
  • rc412rc412 Posts: 4Members
    great work!

will we eventually be able to stream mkv or any other files not supported natively without any transcoding?

is the apple tv powerful enough to handle 1080p mkvs?
  • thrasherxthrasherx Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    SkuiD87 wrote:

Hey guys,

I'll post a quick update about my current findings. I'll post relevant details of my setup as that may help in understanding some issues...

Hardware:
    iMac 27"
    2.8GHz i7 (Quadcore)
    8GB RAM
    4TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800

Network:
    Time Capsule (Airport Express) Wireless N network

Living Room:
    AppleTV
    40" HDTV (Sony Bravia)

Running Plex (.9.2.2)
    Updated ffmpeg (for higher quality)

Media Library:
    My Media is split up into the following Sections:
    All Movies - 604 Movies
    Foreign Movies - 20 Movies
    Kids Movies - 55 Movies
    Kung Fu Movies - 20 Movies
    TV Shows - 14 Shows

All content is HD (some 720p, some 1080p) with the exception of a couple of TV Shows (which are SD)

First off, I have to give credit to quiqueck for getting this out unbelievably quickly! I have to say, I'm taken aback at how well this works for a first build! Amazing work!

It connects to my server without any issues. I can browse through my videos without any problems (even the 'All Movies' list with 604 Movies!) It only crashed and reset a couple time whilst browsing but surprisinly, worked fine most of the time.

As for streaming, I've had mixed results. I need to do some more testing, but so far I think it's down to whether the files are 720p or 1080p.

Streaming Results:
    - SD content always plays fine. No lag or buffer delay.
    - 720p Content also plays fine. Again no lag/delay.
    - 1080p Content plays fine, but will buffer every few minutes, delay is only a few seconds but is definitely unwatchable becuase it happens so frequently.

So far I've only come across one movie that does not play at all. That is Avatar. It's a 1080p file with a high bitrate.

One thing I'm not sure about, is the delay comng from the Network or from the iMac (during the transcoding process)? I would have thought that my iMac would be able to handle the transcoding. And the Wireless N should be more than sufficient too right? Which one is causing the buffering delay?

I wish I hadn't updated ffmpeg right away, would have been nice to compare the quality between the two. But I can confirm that the new ffmpeg looks GREAT on my 40" TV. 720p content plays smoothly & look awesome. It's very impressive.

Bugs/Issues I've come across:
    - Fast Forward/Rewind does not work.
    - The 'time elapsed/time remaining' is always some really high figure and does not update as you progress through the film.
    - Seems to have problems playing high-bitrate 1080p MKV's.
    - Occasionally crashes (probably due to high volume of films).
    - Some films will start playing and then suddenly stop and display the "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later" message.

Overall, I'm amazed at how solid this is for a first release. I look forward to the development of this app/plugin. Very, very exciting stuff.

Out of curiosity, are the 1080p mkvs re-encoded or straight rips? I have an i7 2.8GHz hackintosh and recently re-encoded all of my Blu-rays to RF18 using Handbrake. Since I don't own an AppleTV, it's hard to know what bitrate ffmpeg will spit out. It sounds like 5mbps is the theoretical hardware limit of the ATV2.

Also, am I correct in assuming that there's currently no AC-3/DTS support with the tech demo?
  • MTIMTI Posts: 492Members
    This getting some attention now.

Here's Engadget
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I only had a brief play with the Harmony Remote yesterday but has anyone managed to get the Apple TV (2G) working with the Harmony ?

Could be you need to unpair the apple remote. Harmony's will only work if no device is paired (at least on Mini's and other hardware)

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/10/how-to-pair-and-unpair-apple-remote-with-apple-tv-2g/

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets