If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Client for Apple TV (2G)

Comments

• realitymonkeyrealitymonkey Posts: 120Members

Could be you need to unpair the apple remote. Harmony's will only work if no device is paired (at least on Mini's and other hardware)

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/10/how-to-pair-and-unpair-apple-remote-with-apple-tv-2g/

Ah thanks for that I did that and it seemed to work last night but I am getting an error in the Harmony saying its not compatible so can't get the arrow buttons to work. I will keep on playing I suspect I need to get the correct device name as the Harmony works brilliantly with my Mac Mini
  • NiklasKNiklasK Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I know this "app" is in its early stages, but can somebody comment if the Plex mod includes the same osd and functionality as the "normal" Plex app. What about subtitle support?

/Niklas

/Niklas

3xATV3, 1xRPi2, 1xRPi3, 1xChromebox (all with Kodi and PKC)

unRAID 6.1.8 HP Microserver N54L (Running PMS)

2012 Macbook Pro (2.5 GHz Core i5)

iPhone 5s (16GB)

• markacyrmarkacyr Posts: 133Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2010
    Am I correct in understanding that the device running PMS is transcoding the content before sending? So the AppleTV is just like any mobile devices (e.g. iPhone, etc)? Is the AppleTV doing any decoding? Are there certain file types that will be send straight through to the AppleTV for local decoding rather than being transcoded by PMS?

I guess I need to educate myself on the new Plex architecture a bit. How does a Plex instance on one box receive content from PMS on another box? In that case (Plex -> Plex), is there any transcoding happening? Or is the content sent straight through for processing on the remote end?
  • realitymonkeyrealitymonkey Posts: 120Members
    cyrdog wrote:

Am I correct in understanding that the device running PMS is transcoding the content before sending? So the AppleTV is just like any mobile devices (e.g. iPhone, etc)? Is the AppleTV doing any decoding? Are there certain file types that will be send straight through to the AppleTV for local decoding rather than being transcoded by PMS?

Yup the ATV Is basically an iPhone or iPad as far as the PMS is concerned the PMS does all the transcoding.
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    cyrdog wrote:

I guess I need to educate myself on the new Plex architecture a bit. How does a Plex instance on one box receive content from PMS on another box? In that case (Plex -> Plex), is there any transcoding happening? Or is the content sent straight through for processing on the remote end?

Transcoding only takes place to iOS devices.

If you want to see, start a movie on your remote client (normal Plex) and then open the menubar from your main PMS .. it will say "no active transcoding sessions." Then fire up the iOS on your iPhone and start a movie. You'll then see active transcoding.

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

• adriandbadriandb Posts: 946Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    SkuiD87 wrote:

One thing I'm not sure about, is the delay comng from the Network or from the iMac (during the transcoding process)? I would have thought that my iMac would be able to handle the transcoding. And the Wireless N should be more than sufficient too right? Which one is causing the buffering delay?

This question is what I'm most interested in. I'm about to replace the TV in our bedroom and was set to drop the same amount as I was going to spend on a TV just to put a Mac Mini up there, but if I can get away with a $99 ATV I'll buy tomorrow. I'm happy to wire the room or try ethernet over coax adapters. I just want to be sure the ATV will handle the transcodes of all my media, 1080p media included.

Since the PMS is transcoding everything anyway why does the source resolution/bit rate matter at all?

2012 Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core i5 - 8gb RAM - Mac OS 10.8 | Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5UT+B RAID 5 (5 x 3TB) | Onkyo TX-SR608 | LG 55" LED LCD (55LW5600)

• The WinksterThe Winkster Posts: 7Members
    Does anyone know if ffmpeg can take advantage of the Elgato turbo.264 to help ease the transcoding load on the CPU?

By the way, GREAT work. I had started a similar effort but kept getting stalled. Damned kids. Lol.
  • ioklioioklio Posts: 1Members
    I've just successfully joined the club! Although, I'm delightful with a ability to stream movies without iTunes, I have to admit this is not usable yet. Only Movies section is kind of working. You can only play and pause and that's all! Quality was surprisingly good and acceptable. I was suspicious regarding 1.5 Mbps limit, but picture on my 37" LG Led is totally acceptable.

NiklasK wrote:

I know this "app" is in its early stages, but can somebody comment if the Plex mod includes the same osd and functionality as the "normal" Plex app. What about subtitle support?

No, and there is no OSD at all beside original ATV time bar with pause/play. And biggest disappointment is the lack of subtitle support.
    And no one of Video plugins works for me.

BTW, I have i7 iMac and old G Linksys router and I didn't notice any buffering gap after initial one, which was btw significantly shorter then iTunes playback.

I'm really interested into subtitle support and as I am a developer, I will help anyone to achieve this.
  • raj192raj192 Posts: 1Members
    Has anyone been able to stream media over a NAS drive to apple TV. I have a WD MyBook world II which has all my movies on.

Local movies on the iMac work, but unable to stream from the NAS Drive. Error " unable to play file type"

Anyone else having this problem?
  • rc412rc412 Posts: 4Members
    i think its because they have to be transcoded
  • MTIMTI Posts: 492Members
    edited November 2010
    Right now, PMS transcodes all content en bloc even if it iOS ready (h.264/AAC in m4v/mp4/mov containers). That is suboptimal. :)

All post quoted below, directly or indirectly somehow support my request for PMS to stream iOS-ready content directly (i.e. no transcoding) to iOS devices, including ATV2.

If you agree please support my feature request here:

http://forums.plexap...-ready-content/

This hopefully easy fix would allow for inexpensive, low spec Plex Media Servers (Mac Minis probably) - now and in the future, transcoding requires quad-core processors, especially if you need to stream to more than one client and even more so, if you want the server to do other things concurrently :)
    cyrdog wrote:

Yup the ATV Is basically an iPhone or iPad as far as the PMS is concerned the PMS does all the transcoding.

Transcoding only takes place to iOS devices.

If you want to see, start a movie on your remote client (normal Plex) and then open the menubar from your main PMS .. it will say "no active transcoding sessions." Then fire up the iOS on your iPhone and start a movie. You'll then see active transcoding.

adriandb wrote:

This question is what I'm most interested in. I'm about to replace the TV in our bedroom and was set to drop the same amount as I was going to spend on a TV just to put a Mac Mini up there, but if I can get away with a $99 ATV I'll buy tomorrow. I'm happy to wire the room or try ethernet over coax adapters. I just want to be sure the ATV will handle the transcodes of all my media, 1080p media included.

Since the PMS is transcoding everything anyway why does the source resolution/bit rate matter at all?

Does anyone know if ffmpeg can take advantage of the Elgato turbo.264 to help ease the transcoding load on the CPU?

By the way, GREAT work. I had started a similar effort but kept getting stalled. Damned kids. Lol.
  • thescragsterthescragster Posts: 9Members
    There is a full video tutorial on how install Plex on your Apple TV here - really simple to follow

http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/11/how-to-install-plex-onto-apple-tv-2g-play-almost-any-video-file-type-video-tutorial/
  • thescragsterthescragster Posts: 9Members

Tutorial here if anyone wants it:

http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/11/plex-ported-to-jailbroken-apple-tv-2g/

Video tutorial coming later tonight. Stay tuned

iPhoneblogr now has a video tutorial on how to install Plex -

http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/11/how-to-install-plex-onto-apple-tv-2g-play-almost-any-video-file-type-video-tutorial/
  • rasta321rasta321 Posts: 1Members
    thanks so much guys...this is exactly what I have been waiting for...the tutorial worked like a charm and in my opinion you have to install the high-rez ffmpeg in order to be worth watching. Can not wait for the future updates...keep up the good work :o)
  • The WinksterThe Winkster Posts: 7Members
    Regarding my previous post, it appears that there is already a way (although in beta) for ffmpeg to use the Elgato turbo.264. It would require manually patching ffmpeg. Even then, though, I believe that Plex would have to make changes to take advantage of the capability.

http://tipok.org.ua/node/13

If I weren't in the middle of NaNoWriMo, I'd try and get this working within Plex.
  • quiqueckquiqueck Plex Dev Team Posts: 329Members

If I install the newer build of ffmpeg that you suggested, is there an easier way to replace it with the original build, other than downgrading the whole Plex app? My mini is a 2010 model with 2.4ghz processor and I'm concerned that it might not have the juice required.

Yes, there is:
    cp /Applications/Plex.app/Contents/Resources/Plex/Plex\ Media\ Server.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg ~/Library/Application\ Support/Plex/Plex\ Media\ Server.app/Contents/Resources/

Creator of KLEXi HD • InfoSupportKnown IssuesTwitter
  • RockStarRockStar Posts: 2,053Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    MTI wrote:

now and in the future, transcoding requires quad-core processors, especially if you need to stream to more than one client and even more so, if you want the server to do other things concurrently :)

will pms even make use of 4 cores when transcoding?
    Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?
  • vimanaboyvimanaboy Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I have followed all instructions and have PLEX installed on my ATV2, but am unable to get PMS to update to 9.2.2. Any ideas?

MBP 2008, 4GB, OS X 10.6.5GM, all updates current.
  • OmegaRed1723OmegaRed1723 Posts: 320Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    quiqueck wrote:

Yes, there is:
    cp /Applications/Plex.app/Contents/Resources/Plex/Plex\ Media\ Server.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg ~/Library/Application\ Support/Plex/Plex\ Media\ Server.app/Contents/Resources/

Thanks for that. I'm going to test the HQ ffmpeg and hope it doesn't set my mini ablaze!
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    RockStar wrote:

will pms even make use of 4 cores when transcoding?

When I monitor my 2x2.8 Quad-Core MacPro via iStat menu when starting a transcode to my iPhone, all the cores become active ... so I'll say yes, even though I'm no engineer :blink:

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets