If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Client for Apple TV (2G)

Comments

• airboss1971airboss1971 Posts: 2Members
    I have successfully added Plex to my ATV2 and have streamed all sorts of media from my iMac as well as wirelessly from my Time Capsule. Only issue I'm having right now is using other plug-ins for things like TWiT.TV, CNN, etc., but I think that this is attributed to the fact that this is all very "beta"
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I have successfully added Plex to my ATV2 and have streamed all sorts of media from my iMac as well as wirelessly from my Time Capsule. Only issue I'm having right now is using other plug-ins for things like TWiT.TV, CNN, etc., but I think that this is attributed to the fact that this is all very "beta"

Do plugins even work on the other iOS devices? I have to admit I don't even use the plugins much at all even on my regular Plex boxes. Much better implementation of Netflix on PS3 and Xbox ... too many devices, etc :lol:

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

• harinderharinder Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for that. I'm going to test the HQ ffmpeg and hope it doesn't set my mini ablaze!

Hi

Been an interesting 24 hours odd for me. Went from first time plex user with a new mac mini yesterday eve to this with apple tv setup come today :-)

I've tried with the updated ffmpeg on a new mac mini 2010 with no frills added (i.e. no RAM upgrade). 720p file stutters badly every couple of seconds when playing on ATV if source is macmini. Same file from quad core Windows machine with 8gb ram is better but stalls every few mins or so.

Am going to see what it's like stepping down the ffmpeg.

Hats off to the efforts though. Thoroughly vindicates a decision to go down the Plex route
  • tocotronauttocotronaut Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    i heard of this thread and instantly buyed an apple tv ;)

now i only need an micro usb cable to make plex rock on the tiny little box :D

good work.
    Die Idee ist gut, doch die Welt noch nicht bereit...
  • realitymonkeyrealitymonkey Posts: 120Members
    edited November 2010
    Hmm I am on an older C2D mac mini and all is fine until I try play 1080p avatar on the lower settings in ffmpeg.

Picture looks great from here about 10 foot away on a 37" screen will just ignore 1080p content
  • airboss1971airboss1971 Posts: 2Members
    edited November 2010

Do plugins even work on the other iOS devices? I have to admit I don't even use the plugins much at all even on my regular Plex boxes. Much better implementation of Netflix on PS3 and Xbox ... too many devices, etc :lol:

Sorry but I don't have Plex on my iPad or 4G Touch...going to grab it now to try...

EDIT: the plug-ins, at least the ones available, do work on both my iPad & 4G Touch (tested CNET)
  • harinderharinder Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    harinder wrote:

Hi

Been an interesting 24 hours odd for me. Went from first time plex user with a new mac mini yesterday eve to this with apple tv setup come today :-)

I've tried with the updated ffmpeg on a new mac mini 2010 with no frills added (i.e. no RAM upgrade). 720p file stutters badly every couple of seconds when playing on ATV if source is macmini. Same file from quad core Windows machine with 8gb ram is better but stalls every few mins or so.

Am going to see what it's like stepping down the ffmpeg.

Hats off to the efforts though. Thoroughly vindicates a decision to go down the Plex route

Reverted back and, as believed, it goes away and 720p mkv works fine. Most definite drop in quality too as stated in forum by others. Passable though for distance viewing
  • mattelliott39mattelliott39 Posts: 2Members
    thanks so much for the app, installed and worked straight off the bat. I did notice a couple of things though, which i thought id share

1) if mac goes into sleep, the connection is cut
    2) the search funciton isnt working for me

other than that, this is a fantastic start!! i just need to move everything back nto my plex server now! Hurrah!
  • OmegaRed1723OmegaRed1723 Posts: 320Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    harinder wrote:

Reverted back and, as believed, it goes away and 720p mkv works fine. Most definite drop in quality too as stated in forum by others. Passable though for distance viewing

Good to know. I tried the beefed up ffmpeg this afternoon, but both a 720p .mkv and a crappy 480i Simpsons .avi threw an error message about five minutes into playback. I'll downgrade to the older ffmpeg and see what's what.
  • drakon000drakon000 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    This is what I've been waiting for!! Amazing job on this guys. The plugin installed simply enough. I've had no hiccups in play back of a 720p mkv file. Hardware is an early 2009 Mac Mini (2GHz C2D with 1GB of RAM transferring by wifi to and from Mac Mini). I went with the lower quality ffmpeg encoder. CPU percentage hovers around 140%. I'm very happy with the playback quality. I'm even more ecstatic about the fact that I no longer have to connect my laptop to my TV in order to watch Plex!! Thank you so much!
  • sonicblue83sonicblue83 Posts: 418Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I also installed the new ffmpeg version and got some problems with 1080p and some 720p. Does anybody have an instruction howi can downgrade ffmpeg?
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Well this was incredibly easy to implement! Thanks!

I'll echo what's already been said .. wish the audio would remain 5.1 or DTS, everything is being mixed down. Also not sure if "watched" status is being honored, its not showing up in the UI. But hey, its early yet! I appreciate this great plug-in and can't believe its only the second (and first real) one available for the ATV2. Great work.

I did install the Superffmpeg .. CPU on my MacPro (PMS) starts around 45-50% then calms down to about 20% while transcoding 720p mkvs.

THANKS!!!! I look forward to the future!

:D

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

• rc412rc412 Posts: 4Members
    this is very good progress but i still hope there will be something without needed to be transcoded and basically just streamed to the device
  • StoodoStoodo Posts: 14Members
    What's the easiest way to downgrade the ffmpeg version?
  • OmegaRed1723OmegaRed1723 Posts: 320Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Stoodo wrote:

What's the easiest way to downgrade the ffmpeg version?

Here you go.
  • DrunkOnWineDrunkOnWine Posts: 2Members
    Earlier in this thread someone mentioned you needed a minimum of Plex .9.2.2.. but the latest version available seems to be .9.1.2?

-n00b
  • brywalkerbrywalker Posts: 10Members
    edited November 2010
    nm
  • bbchucksbbchucks Posts: 1Members
    the Folder listing is a little insane, is there a way to just show the actual folder list ? or in folder list view instead of just single movie icons?
    Asian movies are tagged incorrectly sometimes too. and subtitle support would be awesome!
  • PCKidPCKid Posts: 123Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    This is going to sound really ignorant but I'll ask anyway. If you don't get the lovely metadata interface that you get on the Plex desktop then what is the point? Won't Airplay give you the same result? I was hoping it would be the full interface but the screenshot in the thread is just the APTV2 interface.
  • SkuiD87SkuiD87 Posts: 287Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Won't airplay still be limited to only files that Apple allows? (iTunes formatted .mp4)

Advantage of this is that it plays pretty much any video file you throw at it! Which is great for my 600+ library of MKVs

Hardware:
    iMac 27" 3.5GHz i7 (Quad-core) 16GB RAM
    Storage:
    6TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800

6TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800
    2TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800
    Network:
    Time Capsule (Airport) Wireless N network (802.11ac)

Virgin Media UK - 120Mbps Down, 12Mbps Up