If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Client for Apple TV (2G)

Comments

• skywiseskywise Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Quick question for those who have installed already.
    If you have the IOS client on your iphone/ipod touch you can select a movie and have it play from the desktop client by holding down the selection.
    Can you direct the playback to the ATV instead? (does it show up in the selection list?)

Sky
  • MTIMTI Posts: 492Members
    SkuiD87 wrote:

Won't airplay still be limited to only files that Apple allows? (iTunes formatted .mp4)

Advantage of this is that it plays pretty much any video file you throw at it! Which is great for my 600+ library of MKVs

Fine by me! I.e. that PMS transcodes before sending to the ATV. As long as it will stream iOS-ready content directly via this interface or via AirPlay, I'll be very happy! :)
  • OmegaRed1723OmegaRed1723 Posts: 320Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    PCKid wrote:

This is going to sound really ignorant but I'll ask anyway. If you don't get the lovely metadata interface that you get on the Plex desktop then what is the point? Won't Airplay give you the same result? I was hoping it would be the full interface but the screenshot in the thread is just the APTV2 interface.

AirPlay video will only stream from iOS device to iOS device, so this solution eliminates the middleman by streaming directly from the Mac. I also believe it to be a better alternative than re-encoding everything to an iTunes friendly format. Keep in mind, this is really just a proof-of-concept hack that quiqueck was kind enough to release to the masses. I'm certain that things will flesh out in the coming weeks/months as developers become more familiar with the nuances of the ATV.
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    skywise wrote:

Quick question for those who have installed already.
    If you have the IOS client on your iphone/ipod touch you can select a movie and have it play from the desktop client by holding down the selection.
    Can you direct the playback to the ATV instead? (does it show up in the selection list?)

Sky

Nope.

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

• The WinksterThe Winkster Posts: 7Members
    edited November 2010

AirPlay video will only stream from iOS device to iOS device, so this solution eliminates the middleman by streaming directly from the Mac. I also believe it to be a better alternative than re-encoding everything to an iTunes friendly format. Keep in mind, this is really just a proof-of-concept hack that quiqueck was kind enough to release to the masses. I'm certain that things will flesh out in the coming weeks/months as developers become more familiar with the nuances of the ATV.

I don't think it will be a problem to stream non-Apple formats using AirPlay if you use Plex Media Server. I have the GM seed of 4.2 on my iPad and audio streams from an MKV container play just fine from Plex on my iPad to the AppleTV. Now, the video doesn't work because the Apple TV hasn't been updated to support it, but from what I have read and tried, that shouldn't be problem. Of couse at this point you're still transcoding anyway because the Plex Media Server is doing it on the fly. The advantage would be that with AirPlay you wouldn't need to hack your Apple TV to get Plex content, regardless of format, to play on your TV, as long as you have another iOS device with a "legitimate" version of Plex.

I don't think it will be a problem to stream non-Apple formats using AirPlay if you use Plex Media Server. I have the GM seed of 4.2 on my iPad and audio streams from an MKV container play just fine from Plex on my iPad to the AppleTV. Now, the video doesn't work because the Apple TV hasn't been updated to support it, but from what I have read and tried, that shouldn't be problem. Of couse at this point you're still transcoding anyway because the Plex Media Server is doing it on the fly. The advantage would be that with AirPlay you wouldn't need to hack your Apple TV to get Plex content, regardless of format, to play on your TV.

Agreed. I'm also running 4.2 on my iPad and will probably utilize the AirPlay video once it becomes available; however, this provides a solution for all the folks who don't have iOS devices.
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I don't think it will be a problem to stream non-Apple formats using AirPlay if you use Plex Media Server. I have the GM seed of 4.2 on my iPad and audio streams from an MKV container play just fine from Plex on my iPad to the AppleTV. Now, the video doesn't work because the Apple TV hasn't been updated to support it, but from what I have read and tried, that shouldn't be problem. Of couse at this point you're still transcoding anyway because the Plex Media Server is doing it on the fly. The advantage would be that with AirPlay you wouldn't need to hack your Apple TV to get Plex content, regardless of format, to play on your TV.

You would, however, have to put all that video into iTunes which is how the ATV sees all the movies. So, you'd have to manage two libraries of movies. Plus I'm pretty sure iTunes doesn't like mkv files very much :)

For me, having one PMS for all my client devices is the way to go. The track record of relying on Apple to do anything intelligent with non-rented, non-purchased media isn't good.

Plus, "hacking" is fun :D 3rd party devs always come up with more intelligent solutions.

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

• evgenyyevgenyy Posts: 18Members

You would, however, have to put all that video into iTunes which is how the ATV sees all the movies. So, you'd have to manage two libraries of movies. Plus I'm pretty sure iTunes doesn't like mkv files very much :)

For me, having one PMS for all my client devices is the way to go. The track record of relying on Apple to do anything intelligent with non-rented, non-purchased media isn't good.

Plus, "hacking" is fun :D 3rd party devs always come up with more intelligent solutions.

You won't need to put anything in iTunes library. Any video source encoded in h.264 will play via Airplay on Apple TV. PMS trascodes MKVs on the fly into h.264, hence you won't need to convert anything and can keep all your videos in the same format. Plex app or Klexi HD should just work out of the box with Airplay when 4.2 is released.
  • SkuiD87SkuiD87 Posts: 287Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    evgenyy wrote:

You won't need to put anything in iTunes library. Any video source encoded in h.264 will play via Airplay on Apple TV. PMS trascodes MKVs on the fly into h.264, hence you won't need to convert anything and can keep all your videos in the same format. Plex app or Klexi HD should just work out of the box with Airplay when 4.2 is released.

Aha...I didn't realise that Airplay would work with third party apps. I thought it would be limited to Apples own apps/software, hence the limitation. But if what you're saying is true, then you're right, AirPlay should work pretty well (provided you already have an iOS device to handle the streaming from PMS).

However...I still think the Jailbreak solution is a more elegant one. It pretty much does the exact same thing, without needing an extra iOS device.

Plus, the transcoding that takes place for iPhone 4/iPad will look great on those smaller screens, however when 'AirPlayed' over to a 40" TV, the result wont be the same.

With the JB solution, the higher quality ffmpeg will get you the desired results for a big-screen TV.

Hardware:
    iMac 27" 3.5GHz i7 (Quad-core) 16GB RAM
    Storage:
    6TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800

6TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800
    2TB External HDD (WD MyBook) Firewire 800
    Network:
    Time Capsule (Airport) Wireless N network (802.11ac)

Virgin Media UK - 120Mbps Down, 12Mbps Up

• The WinksterThe Winkster Posts: 7Members
    SkuiD87 wrote:

Plus, the transcoding that takes place for iPhone 4/iPad will look great on those smaller screens, however when 'AirPlayed' over to a 40" TV, the result wont be the same.

I haven't seen any proof that you get different quality feeds per device. Plex certainly doesn't do that, as far as I am aware. It would be one thing if the transcoding was specific to the dimensions or limitations of the device. But, I don't think that's happening.
    edited November 2010
    SkuiD87 wrote:

With the JB solution, the higher quality ffmpeg will get you the desired results for a big-screen TV.

You really do need a beefy processor to handle the HQ ffmpeg that quiqueck implemented. My 2.4ghz c2d was averaging 170% CPU usage and spiking at 195% while trying to transcode a 720p tv episode. Playback made it about five minutes before giving me "An error occured during playback. Try again later."
  • GustovierGustovier Posts: 85Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    sandboy wrote:

How can I configure this to connect to a specific Host:port with user name and password? Any plist to edit or something? Cause that would mean i could bring my media library to friends, how awesome wouldn't that be :D

Has anybody figured out how to do this yet? I just want it to connect to my remote plex media server over the Internet like klexi does now. This is all I need to sell me on the appletv.
  • mm2hamm2ha Posts: 2Members
    I have read through all of the posts in the topic and it seems amazing that you can already run Plex (beta-ish) on ATV2! I am extremely excited for this development, as I have been holding off on purchasing ATV2 until I will be able to stream Hulu and other services straight from it to my TV.

So my question is, can Plex on ATV2 access plug-ins such as Hulu, ESPN3 and other ones? If that indeed works, I am ordering my ATV2 right away!
  • EligosEligos Posts: 153Members ✭✭
    mm2ha wrote:

I have read through all of the posts in the topic and it seems amazing that you can already run Plex (beta-ish) on ATV2! I am extremely excited for this development, as I have been holding off on purchasing ATV2 until I will be able to stream Hulu and other services straight from it to my TV.

So my question is, can Plex on ATV2 access plug-ins such as Hulu, ESPN3 and other ones? If that indeed works, I am ordering my ATV2 right away!

No.
    Plex is not running on the ATV2, its a front end. None of the plug-ins work. Remember, this is just a POC, albeit an amazing one!
    27" BENQ Monitor, Haswell 4790K Intel i7 Hackintosh: 16GB RAM: Samsung EVO 750 256 GB APFS SSD: OSX 10.13.0 Entertainment Center :Minix U1
  • mm2hamm2ha Posts: 2Members
    Eligos wrote:

No.
    Plex is not running on the ATV2, its a front end. None of the plug-ins work. Remember, this is just a POC, albeit an amazing one!

Thanks for the quick answer. I will keep my fingers crossed that this problem will be solved soon!
  • stevenDstevenD Posts: 49Members ✭✭
    Is it possible to play movies without transcoding? Otherwise I don't really see the point. Nice proof of concept though. But who has an Apple TV but not an iPhone or iPad? And when I'm watching movies on my 50" Pioneer plasma I want the best quality and transcoding an already encoded video, in realtime, will never be as good as a tweaked 2-pass encoding. Some kind of benchmark of H264 playback would be really interesting, so we know what we can expect in the future :)
  • vimanaboyvimanaboy Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    after updating to the beta does PMS or PLEX show as v9.2.2? if not, what version should i be seeing?
  • free_mefree_me Posts: 15Members
    vimanaboy wrote:

after updating to the beta does PMS or PLEX show as v9.2.2? if not, what version should i be seeing?

I changed PMS with Safari pointing at http://localhost:32400/system/:/prefs/set?AS_BETA=1.

If I want to restore the original PMS pointing to released plugin and not to the beta what I have to do?

I suppose http://localhost:32400/system/:/prefs/set?AS_BETA=0 right?

thank you
  • mtehonicamtehonica Posts: 241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I've been waiting for Plex on ATV2 since they announced it and it's finally happened! It's incredible for a simple POC. Went out and bought an ATV2 today, came home and had Plex on it in less than 10 minutes! Working absolutely amazing! Can't wait for this to evolve and implement more features and bug fixes!! Great job!!
  • alexstuckeyalexstuckey Posts: 3Members
    First I just want to say congratulations to the person/people who made this implementation so quickly. You've done an awesome job. I just have a few questions about it:

Am I right in assuming that this is based of KLEXi for iPhone and iPad. Seeing as it's all iOS under the cover then it's just a different interface and a bit of changed code.
    I've read that PMS transcodes the video before streaming it to the client, is there a way to directly stream the video if the codec is fully supported by the client, this seems like a lot of work if it already works fine. I plan on streaming to a few devices at the same time sometimes and 95% of my library is encoded for iOS support already.

Please tell me if I'm completely missing the point here :)

Also what is the time plan for Plex for AppleTV to be stable, or is it just a proof?