If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMS Keeps Scanning My Media Files

JKJS16JKJS16 Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am using an iMac to access a QNAP NAS.

PMS (0.9.14.6) is running on a QNAP TS-453 Pro NAS.

All my media files are stored on the same NAS.

I noticed a lot of disk activity on the NAS and when investigating I noticed that the PMS keeps scanning my media folders. It never stops. Once it goes through all the media folders it just continues again.

What might cause such an issue?

Thanks.

Answers

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,407Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Is the media in directories that your download into all the time or static and you just add media files there adhoc.

Best is to enable Debug Logging on the server and restart the server - see https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server

After the restart when you notice it is repeating the scans, capure all the logs and zip and attach them.

I am moving this to the QNAP forum because that is the platform for your server. When you access the Plex Media Server from does not affect scanning,

if the server software is running on the Mac and only the media is on the NAS, let me know and i will move the topic back to the Mac forum

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• JKJS16JKJS16 Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Media is in 4 directories on my NAS:
    .../Movies, .../Movies-Kids, .../Movies-Christmas, .../TV Shows
    These directories are static and I add media into them on occasion.

I did as you instructed, and then archived the log files as you requested and attached.

I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,407Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@ZappaFan16 said:

I did as you instructed, and then archived the log files as you requested and attached.

Thanks - looking into the logs. To understand how the libraries are defined and how media paths are specified, could you get me the xml from the following request on the server
    http://localhost:32400/library/sections

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

@ZappaFan16 said:

Something is going on within the media folders that is triggering library updates. You need to look into the folders to see if any files are changing / any new files being created / subfolders ?

Picking one one movie as an example - the server had these notifications

Jan 17, 2016 07:00:41 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 07:06:31 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 07:12:22 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 07:18:13 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 07:24:04 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 07:29:54 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 07:35:44 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 07:41:34 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 07:47:23 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 07:53:13 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 07:59:04 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 08:04:54 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 08:10:44 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 08:16:34 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 08:22:37 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 08:28:27 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 08:34:18 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 08:40:08 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 08:45:58 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    Jan 17, 2016 08:51:48 [0xefbffb90] INFO - Library section 1 (Movies) will be updated because of a change in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/jeff/Media/Videos/Movies/A Most Wanted Man (2014)

"Thanks - looking into the logs. To understand how the libraries are defined and how media paths are specified, could you get me the xml from the following request on the server
    http://localhost:32400/library/sections"

I am not sure how to get the xml that you are requesting.
    I typed your command exactly as written into my web browser and I got an error that said "This webpage is not available".

I then tried again, substituting my NAS IP address for localhost, and got the same message.

As far as your other post, nothing is changing in these directories. At least I am not making any changes to the directory. The files are there and the scanning is running. And it will literally run through the scanning forever. I actual have to turn off the PMS in QNAP because I am concerned with all the disk activity.

Is there some reason why the files in these directories may be changing without me making the change? For instance, when PMS pulls in metadata from the internet so I can see the cover art and info etc, does that change the actual file?

I am at a complete loss as to why PMS thinks files are changing when I know that I am not making any changes.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated.

@ZappaFan16 said:
    "Thanks - looking into the logs. To understand how the libraries are defined and how media paths are specified, could you get me the xml from the following request on the server
    http://localhost:32400/library/sections"

I am not sure how to get the xml that you are requesting.
    I typed your command exactly as written into my web browser and I got an error that said "This webpage is not available".

I then tried again, substituting my NAS IP address for localhost, and got the same message.

Yes sorry it would be the IP of the Plex Media Server.
    If you are able to access your Plex Media Server library through http://ip-of-NAS:32400/web then you should be able to get the xml back for this request http://ip-of-NAS:32400/library/sections
    Safari does not display xml so would need to be different browser
    If you have secure connections set to Required - would need to switch to an https plex.direct url

So this should work unless you have Secure Connections set to Required. If it is default which is Preferred then this should work:
    http://192.168.2.109:32400/library/sections

As you did not produce logs of the problem immediately after a restart (unless logs too quickly) i cannot say what the url would be for https. Plex Media Server.log after launch would give that info - it would be something like
    https://192-168-2-109.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct:32400/library/sections

@ZappaFan16 said:
    As far as your other post, nothing is changing in these directories. At least I am not making any changes to the directory. The files are there and the scanning is running. And it will literally run through the scanning forever. I actual have to turn off the PMS in QNAP because I am concerned with all the disk activity.

Is there some reason why the files in these directories may be changing without me making the change? For instance, when PMS pulls in metadata from the internet so I can see the cover art and info etc, does that change the actual file?

I am at a complete loss as to why PMS thinks files are changing when I know that I am not making any changes.

As the trigger was happening every about 6 minutes, i would suggest you get detailed directory listing periodically to see if any file dates are getting changed or any files being added. If you are linux proficient you could login and get detailed directory listings every few minutes.

Some PC applications do create their own files in media paths they process. Plex Media Server does not.

Attached is the .xml file. (For some reason it said the file wasn't allowed. So I renamed the extension to .log, but this is the sections.xml file).

While I am not Linux proficient I do know people who are. So I will see about getting help with the directory listings.

• triremetrireme Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having this same issue. Rebooting the NAS fixes the issue for a short period of time, and then it starts going at it again.

Similar setup, all media and server are on the QNAP NAS. Installed from App Center version 2.4.39, about to install from the plex website version 9.14.6.1620 to see if that resolves the issues.

PMS on QNAP TS-451+
    OpenPHT on Mac Pro 10.11.6
    Plex Andriod on Sony Bravia XBR43X830C
    Plex iOS on Apple Tv 4, iPhone SE, iPad Mini 2, iPad 3

I have the 9.14.6 version installed from the Plex website so that didn't fix the problem for me. Please let me know if that works for you though.

For now, I turned off Settings -> Server -> Library -> Update my library automatically.

It stopped the scanning but I will now have to run a scan manually each time I add media to my media directory. Not an ideal solution but better than the constant scanning.

edited January 2016

@ZappaFan16 said:
    I have the 9.14.6 version installed from the Plex website so that didn't fix the problem for me. Please let me know if that works for you though.

For now, I turned off Settings -> Server -> Library -> Update my library automatically.

It stopped the scanning but I will now have to run a scan manually each time I add media to my media directory. Not an ideal solution but better than the constant scanning.

You should still go through investigation of the media folders to see if any files are being added by some application and if any files / folders are changing - the logs showed something was alerting the server every about 6 minutes of a change in the directories - so have a look at the directories to see if there are changes - the last modified date / time and creation date / time attributes will hopefully show something going on - otherwise it would be some false alerting

Until you get someone to help you with logging in within the linux environment and look at the directory structures, you can examine the directories from a computer as I presume the media paths are setup as network shares and you are managing them from a PC or Mac - but do make sure you have folder options to view hidden files

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,386Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Try and put in an exception to skip directories named .@__thumb

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201375253-Excluding-New-Content-with-plexignore

Also....Are you perhaps testing other Media Player solutions on your QNAP, and pointing to the same directory structure?

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

sa2000

In your earlier post you had given an example of one of my files that is triggering a change, and therefore a PMS scan. That file was for 'A Most Wanted Man'.

While waiting to get help with the logging I focused on this file and went into that directory to see what the time/date stamp was for any files that reside there.

With hidden files shown I have two files located here:
    ._A Most Wanted Man (2014).mp4
    12/23/2015 11:08:39 pm

A Most Wanted Man (2014).mp4
    10/22/2014 05:16:02 am

So, best I can tell, there are no files in this directory that have changed for quite some time. So I am not sure why PMS thinks they did.

Does this additional information tell you anything new?

Thanks.

@ZappaFan16 said:
    sa2000

In your earlier post you had given an example of one of my files that is triggering a change, and therefore a PMS scan. That file was for 'A Most Wanted Man'.

While waiting to get help with the logging I focused on this file and went into that directory to see what the time/date stamp was for any files that reside there.

With hidden files shown I have two files located here:
    ._A Most Wanted Man (2014).mp4
    12/23/2015 11:08:39 pm

A Most Wanted Man (2014).mp4
    10/22/2014 05:16:02 am

So, best I can tell, there are no files in this directory that have changed for quite some time. So I am not sure why PMS thinks they did.

Does this additional information tell you anything new?

Thanks.

And the date and time for the folder containing those 2 files ?
    I wonder if the ._ file is causing some issue - whilst it may confuse the scanner - i cannot see how it would give rise to spurious alerting - but as an experiment you could move out / delete the files starting with ._

sa2000

The folder containing those files is:
    A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    01/03/2016 11:11:47 am

So that folder hasn't changed in some time either.

I looked into my other folders and a lot of them (but not all) have a corresponding hidden file with the ._ preceding the file name. This is in addition to the actual correct file with the name without the '._'.

What are those hidden files and is it safe to delete them?

@ZappaFan16 said:
    sa2000

The folder containing those files is:
    A Most Wanted Man (2014)
    01/03/2016 11:11:47 am

So that folder hasn't changed in some time either.

Was it 3rd January this year when you copied the mp4 file across to this folder?

@ZappaFan16 said:
    I looked into my other folders and a lot of them (but not all) have a corresponding hidden file with the ._ preceding the file name. This is in addition to the actual correct file with the name without the '._'.

What are those hidden files and is it safe to delete them?

Are you copying your media files from a Mac ?
    Google search found this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4947897?start=0&tstart=0
    There is also talk about it here https://support.jungledisk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200812844-Why-are-we-seeing-copies-of-files-starting-with-periods-and-underscores-in-Windows-
    and here http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/invisible-files-with-prefix-are-created-on-some-shared-volumes-and-external-disks/

Read these pages and see what conclusion you come to

I am neither a linux or a Mac person so cannot advise you
    Are you using some application to manage the media files from the Mac and copy them across -

All files starting with a single dot is a hidden file in Linux, and is created by your Mac!

Delete them, and and then refresh the library.

Ans if it still fails, then zip and upload logs again, but this time, include the Plug-ins directory, cuz in there, we have the individual scanners logs, and one of them might break due to extended characters etc.

/T

Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

I think for me I was able to stop it, observing it now to confirm.

It was only happening when my multimedia folder was mounted AFP on my Mac. Hazel(noodlesoft) I use to tag files, which works just fine with Plex on my mac, on the QNAP it runs in an endless cycle. So unmounted the folder in my mac would fix the problem, Or disabling Hazel for that folder also seems to allow Plex to rest.

PMS on QNAP TS-451+

And as said, they where created by your Mac, aka......

Every time you accessed the files, I bet "the last updated time" stamp got updated, and as such, fooled Plex into thinking, that a change did happened.

And if you also deleted all dirs and files starting with a single dot, you also saved time

/T

After disabling Hazel, I still am getting frequent auto scanning. It is less frequent, as in not constant, but it still does it when my network folder is mounted on my Mac via AFP. I've now added that folder to the privacy list in Spotlight to see if its an issue with indexing. I will monitory that change and update this thread.

PMS on QNAP TS-451+

Thanks, and highly appreciate the feedback here....

Heck....Might even make it to the FAQ, depending on the outcome ;-)

/T