Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"Your connection to the server is not fast enough to stream this video. Check your Network."

MoneyBecomesKingMoneyBecomesKing Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

"Your connection to the server is not fast enough to stream this video. Check your Network." I keep getting that message after plex buffers the first time. It buffers probably every 10 minutes or so, and sometimes will not stop buffering. My internet is 100mbps, so it is not my connection. I do not have this problem on iOS, so this is an Plex Apple TV issue. I am running the latest version of plex on Apple TV and the latest plex media server on my mac.

Answers

• idumontaidumonta Members, Plex Pass Posts: 90 Plex Pass

First, compare your setting in each app.

If your iPhone has set 720p quality , and Apple TV is in original quality is not the same.

In my case is never the internet connection. When I had this pop-up it's because we are a lot of people on Plex trying to transcode a files and my cpu had difficulty to do all the request in same time.

• eshudnoweshudnow Members, Plex Pass Posts: 37 Plex Pass
    edited March 2016

I've been getting this all the time the last week. Not sure if a server update caused it or the plex update for Apple TV.

Happens on both my apple tvs; one of which is on 5ghz and near my router and has very strong signal and easily maxes out my entire 300mbps internet.

Have no problems streaming or buffering. Just the annoying message coming up after I rewind or fast forward, the movie resumes, and no problems after even on 15Gb files until I rewind or fast forward again.

No settings have changed on my Apple TV and happens on both large and small files.

Something buggy was definitely introduced.

• AgentMaxAgentMax Members, Plex Pass Posts: 359 Plex Pass
    edited March 2016

@MoneyBecomesKing said:
    "My internet is 100mbps, so it is not my connection.

Thats useless information. You are streaming locally. Your connection inside your home is important (Wifi, LAN, PowerLAN,..)

• HappyPig0HappyPig0 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 240 Plex Pass

I have the same on vary rare occasions around the home. Always considered it to be a router/internet dropout moment.

At home, I'm running a 48TB QNAP 871T 16Gb RAM serving 2 x LG 48" TVs, 4 x Samsung 42" TVs, all via Apple TV4 & Plex. Each can transcode HD MKV without any bumps all at the same time.
    4 iPads, 3 iPhones, 2 x Mac Mini & 1 iMac. So wish I had bought Apple shares years back

• tootiredtootired Members, Plex Pass Posts: 23 Plex Pass

Since the TVOs 9.2 update, wired ethernet speeds have been abysmal. Switch to wireless and let your speed-freak-flag fly.

This crap really pisses me off, because wired ethernet has always been an ATV4 issue. Now it's hovering between 20-40 Mb/s, which is horrible for a modern 100 Mb/s device.

Wireless gets me around 10X the bandwidth of wired.

• arobe79arobe79 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 230 Plex Pass

"I really like the work that the Plex team has done so I don't want this to come across wrong. I have been having the same issue with play back and the connection to server issues but usually just at the beginning of movies and then the movie will play mostly fine with a few paused sometimes. All of my files are in m4v format with AC3 audio and AAC audio for play back on mobile. My network is a powerline adapter ethernet. I have found that Simplex plays everything perfectly. Simplex takes a small amount of time longer to begin the stream (my guess is that it is building the buffer). This seems to be a very similar experience as with the Home Sharing option. All three of these apps are supposedly using the native apple tv video player so i do not understand why there is a difference. I would suggest that if you are having major issues with play back and really enjoy using your Plex server give Simplex a try. Simplex itself has some issues such as slow artwork loading when browsing and no music or photo support but it is a good alternative while the Plex team works out this little bug."

I posted this in another discussion that I think is also the same issue.
    I also have an apple tv 4 connect via wireless that is having the same issue.
    I will get a freeze of the video with audio sometimes continuing and then the error mentioned by others above. If I wait it out the file will eventually play with a few small buffering issues throughout playback.
    From my experience and from reading through this forum this seems to have something to do with out the data packets are being read by the official Plex client for Apple TV. It just does not build a big enough buffer and then runs into issues at high bit rate streaming.

Plex Media Server Intel G540 CPU 2.50 GHZ 2M CACHE 2.5 2 LGA 1155 Processor, Windows 10, Apple TV 4 X 2, iOS

• mrpunk2umrpunk2u Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

Having this same issue on AppleTV since the 9.2 update
    AppleTV using wifi sitting next to --> Plex Server on Mac Mini all within 4 feet of newest Airport Extreme

I have now tested this wirelessly and I get the same error. Something interesting I have seen, I was monitoring my network usage while streaming a file and notice that the network is only being used when the file is playing. If I pause the file the network usage drops down to nothing. I would think that the buffer should continue to fill. I then tested this with the Home Share app from Apple and with Simple X. In both cases the network continued to be used while the video was paused filling the buffer so I did not have playback issues. I am thinking that something in the way that the Plex app requests data is causing our issues. If it would request packets and continue to do so until the buffer is full then we would be cached enough ahead that little hiccups in the network would not cause issues. I think this is why both the Home Share app and Simple X take more time for a video to start. They are filling the buffer and then starting. I would gladly take a short loading screen followed by smooth playback over immediate playback start, followed by pauses and network errors.
    I know that the Plex devs are working hard, just trying to give what info I can.
    BTW when I look at my server logs I am not seeing any errors for network issues. I would think this would show in the log as well.

Plex Media Server Intel G540 CPU 2.50 GHZ 2M CACHE 2.5 2 LGA 1155 Processor, Windows 10, Apple TV 4 X 2, iOS

• ValdhorValdhor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 502 Plex Pass

This may be caused by transcoding. The file is transcoded and sent down the network as fast as the server can push it. In this case there probably can't be any buffering as the server would have to transcode faster than the stream. With Home Share and Simple X there is no trancoding so buffering can happen.

edited March 2016

Why would they be transcoded? All of my files are in Apple TV native format and all played fine until a few weeks ago. When I check Plex Server the files are Direct Play.
    Simple X is playing them from the same Plex Server.

• morbergmorberg Members Posts: 144 ✭✭

I've seen this as well. No transcoding is taking place. Wireless AC network.

Problems have started with the 1.0.5 version of the app. I don't remember seeing this before.

Have you tried the DNS Rebind issue fix?

Not using OpenDNS, but I did set the DNS manually add to 8.8.8.8 and restarted the AppleTV. Same problem.

It's not specifically for OpenDNS. I would add the exception to your router.

• plex168plex168 Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

FYI: I am having same issues as arobe79 after recent update to PMS.

I am a beta tester and the most recent release of the beta is supposed to fix the issue. It has not resolved my issue. This was reported to the devs.

@Valdhor said:
    It's not specifically for OpenDNS. I would add the exception to your router.

Tried it. Still not working.

Updated Apple TV 4 app to 1.06 and continued to have same issue ( not surprised as I was testing this prior to release). I ran some test on my iPhone app and with the Windows store Plex app as well as Plex Home Theater. I cannot reproduce the issue with any of those apps.

edited April 2016

After upgrading my PMS Mac to 10.11.4 it seems to work better. If it is the reboot or something with the OS update is of course impossible to say. Movies and TV Shows also start playing much faster with no spinning wheel for 10-30 seconds first.

Still too early to say for sure though. I'll let you know if I see the problem again.

(Apple TV Plex app 1.0.6, PMS 0.9.16.3)

@morberg said:
    After upgrading my PMS Mac to 10.11.4 it seems to work better. If it is the reboot or something with the OS update is of course impossible to say. Movies and TV Shows also start playing much faster with no spinning wheel for 10-30 seconds first.

Still too early to say for sure though. I'll let you know if I see the problem again.

Glad to hear yours is working better morberg