If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Halloween UPDATE : For those having random crash issues on TS-x31 devices ( Not TS-x31+!! )

ziggimonziggimon Plex Dev TeamAarhusPosts: 2,444Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
edited November 2016 in QNAP

UPDATE: For Plex Pass users, you can now download using the normal download page. For non Plex Pass users, next release will have this for you

UPDATE: Weekend gift for the TS-X31 users!

I know its been a while since we where able to drop a working build for this platform. But after quite a bit of work since our 1.0.0 release we have a build working via our build platform that in internal testing has shown to work. As this is the first working build we have we want to get it out to you so you can test it and enjoy all the updates since 0.9.16.6 and up until the later builds.

NOTE: This version number is higher than the current public release. This doesn't mean anything, there is no special shiny new things compared to what has been released so far, its just a number. Also please consider it BETA and there could be bugs related to it.

Find the updated Plex Media Server version here: https://nightlies.plex.tv/public-test/qnap/PlexMediaServer_1.3.0.110-c7651ff_arm-x31.qpkg

Hey guys,

I've rebuilt the package using another platform and would like to know if this build works in place of the other build.

The updated x31 package can be downloaded from here: https://nightlies.plex.tv/public-test/qnap/PlexMediaServer_0.9.16.4.1911-ee6e505_arm-x31.qpkg

Update version here: https://nightlies.plex.tv/public-test/qnap/PlexMediaServer_0.9.16.6.1993-5089475_arm-x31.qpkg

Feedback on the stability of this package is most welcome.

Get you Plex guides here: Naming Guide, NAS Guide, NTFS on Linux Guide, Linux Permissions Guide, Logs & Library Maintenance Help, Plex Help Page.

My Plex world:
Primary PMS: NAS - 24 bay Inter-Tech 4324L, Xeon E3-1230v2, SuperMicro X9SCM-F, 800GB SSD, Enough Spinning Storage
HTPC/EyeTV: Mid 2011 Mac Mini 4GB RAM 60GB Vertex SSD, 50" Kuro
Clients: Hackintosh - i7 3770K, 27" CinemaDisplay, 15" rMBP, ATV4, Roku3, iPhone 6 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 3 16GB, riPad mini 32GB, Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, Asus Chromebox, RPI2, RPi3

Best Answer

Answers

• verisvverisv Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I will test it in couple of hours and let you know.
    Thanks Vita

• dvdptr1dvdptr1 Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Loading it now. I'll do my best to break it.. If I do, which logs do you want?

• McRallyMcRally Posts: 15Members ✭✭

I just installed it.
    I will try and let you know

• ziggimonziggimon Plex Dev Team AarhusPosts: 2,444Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited April 2016

@dvdptr1 said:
    Loading it now. I'll do my best to break it.. If I do, which logs do you want

If it breaks i wouldn't mind the logs. But the inportant bit would be the crash dumps.

-- Mark

Get you Plex guides here: Naming Guide, NAS Guide, NTFS on Linux Guide, Linux Permissions Guide, Logs & Library Maintenance Help, Plex Help Page.

My Plex world:
    Primary PMS: NAS - 24 bay Inter-Tech 4324L, Xeon E3-1230v2, SuperMicro X9SCM-F, 800GB SSD, Enough Spinning Storage
    Clients: Hackintosh - i7 3770K, 27" CinemaDisplay, 15" rMBP, ATV4, Roku3, iPhone 6 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 3 16GB, riPad mini 32GB, Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, Asus Chromebox, RPI2, RPi3

Hi, unfortunately it crashed on me again. How would I collect the logs you are after and where do I send them?
    Just to clarify, I downloaded the above mentioned package and installed it manually over the existing package. Let me know if it is not the correct procedure. If you would prefer to remove PMS completely and then install again please let me know how to preserve the libraries and settings of PMS.
    Thanks Vita

• ziggimonziggimon Plex Dev Team AarhusPosts: 2,444Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@verisv said:
    Hi, unfortunately it crashed on me again. How would I collect the logs you are after and where do I send them?
    Just to clarify, I downloaded the above mentioned package and installed it manually over the existing package. Let me know if it is not the correct procedure. If you would prefer to remove PMS completely and then install again please let me know how to preserve the libraries and settings of PMS.
    Thanks Vita

In the folder /root/Library/Plex Media Server/ there is a folder named Logs and there should be a Crash Reports folder. I would like both, just compressed and feel free to upload it to drop box or some where and PM me the link.

-- Mark

P.S. Darn it!!

My Plex world:

@verisv said:
    Thanks Vita

Oh, where you doing something when it crashed? Or was the NAS in the midst of something? Any chance there is some info in the NAS's system logs?

My Plex world:

I deleted my movie library, and had it rebuild it from scratch. It made it all the way through the build (about 175 movies total) and completed with no hangs, no crashes. (It wasn't fast, but, come on.. it's an ARM processor). This is on a TS-231 running QTS 4.2.0 (3/11/16). Previously, the only way I could get it to build the library was to copy in movies a few at a time, and even then, it wasn't stable/consistent.

It often peaked out at 99% CPU (something the previous version never did), but it never crashed.

I am going to rebuild TV next (900+), and assuming that goes well, I'll try Music (2900+)

@ziggimon said:

@verisv said:
    Thanks Vita

Oh, where you doing something when it crashed? Or was the NAS in the midst of something? Any chance there is some info in the NAS's system logs?

The most reliable way to crash PMS is to Update Libraries. Then usually within 5-20 minutes it crashes. During this last test it managed to go nearly through half of the recordings before it crashed. My library of recorded TV has 1500+ items

edited April 2016

@verisv said:

@ziggimon said:

@verisv said:
    Thanks Vita

The most reliable way to crash PMS is to Update Libraries. Then usually within 5-20 minutes it crashes. During this last test it managed to go nearly through half of the recordings before it crashed. My library of recorded TV has 1500+ items

Can I have logs? And maybe any information from the system logs if kernel or anything is telling anything we can use.

-- Mark

My Plex world:

I just remembered that in this case I was just saving a library config. I ticked the Enable Video Preview Thumbnails and clicked on the Save button when it crashed. But generally it crashes on its own most often during library updates (manual or scheduled). Logs will be with you shortly.
    And just for the information - this issue wasnt there till version 9.11.11. It was introduced in version 9.12
    Thanks Vita

Just sent you PM

• thorsten.kahl@gmail.comthorsten.kahl@gmail.com Posts: 19Members ✭✭

Just deinstalled the previous installation, restarted qnap and installed the nightly build.

at first start I got immediately the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error or in other words per log the

Error: Unable to set up server: basic_string::_S_create

After disabling Plex and then re-enabling it only worked to get to the main screen and is scanning now for a couple of hours so far without any crashes. keeping the fingers crossed!

Thanks already in advance for the work as it seems to have resolved the previous issue.

@thorsten.kahl@gmail.com said:
    Just deinstalled the previous installation, restarted qnap and installed the nightly build.

at first start I got immediately the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error or in other words per log the

Error: Unable to set up server: basic_string::_S_create

After disabling Plex and then re-enabling it only worked to get to the main screen and is scanning now for a couple of hours so far without any crashes. keeping the fingers crossed!

Thanks already in advance for the work as it seems to have resolved the previous issue.

From what I am reading out of that log its trying to start PMS to use port 32400 and port 32401 and it fails to allocate one of those ports and stops startup. Disabling PMS clears out any lingering plex media server processes and thus when you start it again it works.

Thanks for reporting back.

-- Mark

My Plex world:
  • McRallyMcRally Posts: 15Members ✭✭
    edited April 2016

I'm sorry that for you doesnt work...
    For me insteand I still trying but until now no crashes. One day without crash. I see movie, cast on device, edited cover and metadata, add movies to library... it seems to work.

Tell me what I have to do to try to get the crash

• zackljoneszackljones Posts: 4Members ✭✭

No crashes for me yet on a TS431. I installed over the older stable version so I haven't had to load any metadata yet. I just got the connection refused error after reinstalled but a quick restart of the app fixed that. Will update when I have to do a library update.

• disterodistero Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a TS-431 and even with the update (PlexMediaServer_0.9.16.4.1911-ee6e505_arm-x31.qpkg) I get "server unavailable". Nothing changed. But I noticed that the NAS has a lot of work to do: almost 100% busy. When I look at the services I see that "php-fpm-proxy" is guilty. What is this service doing?

Day 2 update: Rebuilt 2 libraries with no crashes. Added a 3rd library with almost 1900 music files in it, and still no crash. Very encouraging...

I had installed over top of the last Plex release for that platform (not the one in the APPCENTER from QNAP).. So far, I haven't encountered any oddness in connection refused or anything like that. Seems quite stable for me...

• thorsten.kahl@gmail.comthorsten.kahl@gmail.com Posts: 19Members ✭✭

After 24hrs all scans finished. The Photolibrary does not show any thumbnails, but other than that all seems to be working. Not sure if this is related as I don't see anything in the system logs but I had one complete crash of the QNAP itself somewhere in the afternoon today. Will see how it continues. Thanks again for the fix.

I managed to crash using same actions as yesterday which means that I while it was doing library update I went to change settings of different library than the one updating. I ticked the box Enable Video Previes thumbnails and few seconds after I clicked on save the server has crashed.
    I PMed you the grep you were after
    I will test it now without actually doing anything to see if it finishes library update.