Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Do you like the new Star Wars movie The Force Awakens?

aeonxaeonx Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,325 Plex Ninja
edited April 8 in Plex Film Club

By now everyone must have seen Star Wars - The Force Awakens (2015). It has grossed $2,065,703,912 worldwide so far in box office (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars7.htm), got a 92% critics consensus and 89% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_vii_the_force_awakens/).

But do Plexians and hardcore Star Wars fans like it? Let's hear it! Vote, and if you have some time, comment why you voted that way.

Do you like the new Star Wars movie The Force Awakens? 26 votes

Yes, it was a worthy reboot of the franchise!
80%
zipputrsavaMrMikeTheManiacgec5741In0cenTgadgetchanneladrianwijungwirthyoyomanaeonxRobertSmitsMrAngelusmassiliattakadamskoogTheMooDudearhendricksJacob Bækd1vanloonchyron8472Gdr56 21 votes
No, it disappointed me and I expected more.
19%
AnilDAfullmarkWolf_666hightowercgrossertiger@gmail.com 5 votes
Tagged:

Comments

• aeonxaeonx Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,325 Plex Ninja
    edited April 8

Personally I really enjoyed it and thought J.J. Abrams revived the film series with all its original charm and spirit. Especially the emphasis on practical effects and the very cool light saber fights are what won me over. I can't wait for more! And luckily this December the new Star Wars origin movie Rogue One will come to cinemas.

And here's the trailer for Rogue One, coming December, and possibly bringing back Jar Jar Binks (in a good way, possibly? Let's withhold judgement until we see it.)

Oh come on, I surely wasn't the only one who has seen Star Wars...

• adamskoogadamskoog Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,312 Plex Ninja

I thought it was a good start to disney's star wars vision. It wasn't without it's issues (as with all movies), but overall I enjoyed it thoroughly which is really what the movie is going for. Very excited for episode 8 and also pumped for Rouge One as the trailer looks great!

• gec5741gec5741 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 167 Plex Pass

I liked the new boot up of the franchise a lot. I like what J.J. did with the star treck francize also so I had high hopes that he would do a good job with Star wars! I'm looking forward to the new one!

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 822 Plex Employee

I have to admit I was worried that J.J. would turn it into LOST, but fortunately my early thoughts were proven wrong! I thought they did an excellent job bridging the gap between modernization (VFX), giving the fan a sense of what made the original trilogy special, and opening it up for the next generation of fans to fall in love with. By comparison, the prequels failed to bridge that gap in my opinion. The story made my wife and I walk away discussing potential plot twists and ideas of how people are related.. lots of great tin-foil theories that made it just as enjoyable as the original trilogy. What is not surprising is the mass commercialization by Disney, which I am ok with because to me that means more will be made and hopefully with the same attention to detail and focus.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• Gdr56Gdr56 Members Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome Movie, can not wait to next one.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

edited April 8

@kinoCharlino said:
    I have to admit I was worried that J.J. would turn it into LOST, but fortunately my early thoughts were proven wrong! I thought they did an excellent job bridging the gap between modernization (VFX), giving the fan a sense of what made the original trilogy special, and opening it up for the next generation of fans to fall in love with. By comparison, the prequels failed to bridge that gap in my opinion. The story made my wife and I walk away discussing potential plot twists and ideas of how people are related.. lots of great tin-foil theories that made it just as enjoyable as the original trilogy. What is not surprising is the mass commercialization by Disney, which I am ok with because to me that means more will be made and hopefully with the same attention to detail and focus.

@kinoCharlino Interesting... can you elaborate on the tin-foil theories you and your wife had? And why do you think J.J. Abrams could turn Star Wars into LOST? I'm puzzled.

Has it been said that the new movies will be made into a trilogy or is it possible that they can just keep on making them?

• adamskoogadamskoog Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,312 Plex Ninja

@gec5741 I think they will wrap them up as a trilogy and also continue on. Basically, the 7,8,9 trilogy will have a story they are looking to tell that will wrap up, but will not necessarily be the end of the adventures. I thought there was a report that they plan to continue indefinitely (for as long as they can suck money out of the franchise at least). As long as they make good movies I'll be in a seat waiting for them, I'm a sucker for start wars. :)

Yep same with me. As long as they are good I'll go see them! :) Thanks for the info!

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 822 Plex Employee
    edited June 2016

@aeonx said:Interesting... can you elaborate on the tin-foil theories you and your wife had? And how do you think could J.J. Abrams ever turn Star Wars into LOST?? I'm puzzled (pun intended).

Oh she went into things about how Rey could be the reincarnation of Vader..

The only reason I was concerned about J.J. turning it into LOST is seeing other directors have a definite style they apply to all their movies. I wasn't seriously worried, mostly just enjoyed thinking how that could be done, but realize that its not something Disney would approve.

I think the next few ones are planned purely as origin stories that do not drive the story forward, but explain where the characters come from.

@aeonx said:
    I think the next few ones are planned purely as origin stories that do not drive the story forward, but explain where the characters come from.

I am really looking forward to the origin stories. So what do you think of the possibility that Rey being the reincarnation of Vader? She's drawn to Luke and has the force inside her, but we're just not convinced she is a long-lost child of Luke.

edited April 8

@kinoCharlino I really don't think or believe Rey is a reincarnation of Vader. I didn't see her being drawn to Luke; she just returned his lightsaber to tell him "Come back". Having the force inside her doesn't mean she has a direct connection to Vader.

But that's just my humble opinion.

edited June 2016

@aeonx said:
    @kinoCharlino I really don't think or believe Rey is a reincarnation of Vader. I didn't see her being drawn to Luke; she just returned his lightsaber to tell him "Come back". Having the force inside her doesn't mean she has a familiar connection to Vader.

Just my opinion.

That is a valid point. But why did they pick Rey? Other than adding a heroine to the story. They could have gone with Han Solo, his closer friend? Well I like the reincarnation theory only because its fun to imagine where they could go with it. :)

edited April 8

@kinoCharlino Sure, it's fun to speculate! :smile:

• rsavarsava Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,700 Plex Pass

I did have some issues with it but overall it was a good one.

R Sava

• pdtech13pdtech13 Members Posts: 1

@aeonx said:
    @kinoCharlino I really don't think or believe Rey is a reincarnation of Vader. I didn't see her being drawn to Luke; she just returned his lightsaber to tell him "Come back". Having the force inside her doesn't mean she has a direct connection to Vader.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Seconded..

• chyron8472chyron8472 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 222 Plex Pass

Yes I love it, but it is not a reboot.