Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Cannot Add Section

Plex Media Server just sits there...
Plex is completely unusable for me because I can't add ANY media. When I use Plex Media Server and I try to add content, clicking the "Add Section" button does nothing... the app just sits there and does nothing, no indication or feedback, nothing. If I press it a few more times, sometimes it will hang and then it's just dead - force quit is needed. Any help here? I can't get any media into Plex because of this issue, and don't really know what to do at this point. Thanks!

• Chris CChris C Posts: 11,692Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Sounds like your installation got messed up somehow. Here's how to start fresh:

1. Quit the Plex Media Server if it's running (i.e. choose Quit from the menu you use to access the Media Manager)

2. Delete these two directories:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Plex/
    ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/

3. Move the Plex application to the trash

4. Re-download (in case your first download was somehow corrupted) the Plex application and re-install.

When you run Plex for the first time, you should also get the setup "wizard" which will allow you to specify movie/tv/music content (though you can, of course, also do it via the Media Manager later, too).
  • raspberryraspberry Posts: 4Members
    Thanks for the reply. I did a clean uninstall and reinstall as you suggested... the setup wizard ran once, which worked.

Now I have a new problem... every action (and I mean pretty much *every* action) in PMS locks/freezes it. If I press a button in the toolbar, if I right-click on a movie, if I click the update button in the bottom... the whole thing just freezes and that's it - gotta force quit it. So essentially, I can't get it to ever update anything and I can't do anything within the app. What could the cause be?
  • raspberryraspberry Posts: 4Members
    Are there any logs or error messages I can provide to help anyone debug this? Thanks in advance!
  • Chris CChris C Posts: 11,692Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    You could try zipping up and attaching these logs:

~/Library/Logs/Plex Media Server.log
    ~/Library/Logs/PMS Plugin Logs/com.plexapp.system.log

Unfortunately, pinpointing the actual issue is likely beyond my familiarity with the logs, but hopefully others might see something.