Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Problem to retrieving metadata from tvdb

warham30warham30 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

Hi,

i can't retrieve metadata when i add a new serie.... movie are ok but tvdb have some problem ... same thing with the new update...

thanks!

Best Answers

• maxflixmaxflix Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 153 Plex Employee
    edited July 2016 Accepted Answer

Alright everyone - I think I have officially root caused the problems folks are seeing:

1. If you are unable to do anything with TVDB then the problem is likely due a bad auth sequence. Please try restarting PMS and that should fix your problem for 24 hours until the token expires.

2. For data not matching: Please try one or both of the following when attempting a manually/fix incorrect match (these are just workarounds for now) -
      a. Leave the year empty
      b. Set language to English

3. If you are not seeing any metadata, but the item is matched (ie. has a guid in the info XML that does not look like local://*) then this is likely because there is currently not a fallback to English data in place for non-English libraries.

If you are having issues with matched items not receiving metadata in an English library, please contact me with your XML Information and logs from an attempt to refresh the matched item.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201998867-Investigate-Media-Information-and-Formats (how to find XML Infomation)

I really apologize for the issues you are all having. There should be marginal improvements to matching by 1.0.3 and drastic improvements to the agent by 1.1.0

• chrisallenchrisallen New ZealandMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 636 Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

This issue is fixed in the new PMS 1.0.3 release

Answers

• schjeldeschjelde Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

Have this too.
    Changed language from Danish to english and now tv shows gets meta again. Not needed in ver 1.00

• warham30warham30 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

Thanks for answer!

• benzo8benzo8 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

Is this still an ongoing issue? I update to plexmediaserver_1.0.2.2413-7caf41d_amd64 yesterday (?) and this morning neither of my downloaded shows are picking up metadata.

• Buccie22Buccie22 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass

In Italian does not download Metadata none at all , with the ' new update before it was all ok

• Buccie22Buccie22 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

The others have the same problem and I hope resolve as before

• sicasica Members, Plex Pass Posts: 68 Plex Pass

@Peter_W any ETA for a fix?

• Peter_WPeter_W Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,877 Plex Ninja

No, sorry again but I haven't heard anything more.

• pruitt62pruitt62 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 464 Plex Pass

Same problem here. My fault for trusting a new version, I guess. I avoided 1.01, guess I should have avoided 1.02 as well. Very disappointing. :(

• murdofmurdof Members, Plex Pass Posts: 81 Plex Pass

I have Fargo TV Series - Season 1 and Season 2.
    Season 2 is picked up as Season 1 from TVDB.

Is this the same issue?

• maxflixmaxflix Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 153 Plex Employee

Hey everyone -

I need your help pinpointing this issue. Do you know if the item is matched and doesn't have any metadata or if the item just isn't matching?

Also, are all of you using non-english libraries?

• Eurisko69Eurisko69 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 78 Plex Pass

I have an English library. Some it can't find a match even with a manual search. Some I can manually match, yet it still doesn't actually do anything or update the metadata when I manually choose the match. Going back to 1.0.0 fixes the issue for me. Since I'm on 1.0.0 I can't gather logs at the moment.

• mkkrkhmmkkrkhm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Hi guys, same issue here. Added three English shows and they won't match. Automatically or manually.

Thanks for your help!

@maxflix said:
    Hey everyone -

I need your help pinpointing this issue. Do you know if the item is matched and doesn't have any metadata or if the item just isn't matching?

Also, are all of you using non-english libraries?

The items were not matching. That's what the basic problem was. Even doing a manual match on IMDB does not work. These are all English libraries.

Like most, I've downgraded back to 1.00 now. Without the ability to match new content, 1.02 is useless to me.

@pruitt62 - We don't use IMDb for TV matching. Did you mean TVDB or are you using a movie library and things aren't matching for you?

And if folks could give an example file path (like C:\Some\Dir\Structure\Show Name\Season X\Episode_Name_SXXEYY.mkv) along with their library language that would be very helpful

@maxflix said:
    @pruitt62 - We don't use IMDb for TV matching. Did you mean TVDB or are you using a movie library and things aren't matching for you?

Yes. that is correct. My mistake. I meant TVDB. Movies were matching fine.

• kaizo33kaizo33 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 25 Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

an example :
    /volume1/seriestv/12 monkeys/S02E01 - L'année du singe.mkv

french language
    on pms 1.0.0 : scan works fine (i have picture, text etc...)
    on pms 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 : nothing match (i have no picture, no text..)

for tests, i delete all pms folder, i reinstall pms 1.0.0, test
    i have do this for any version (1.0.0, 1.0.1 and 1.0.2) delete , install test

• benzo8benzo8 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

For me, the series were (already) matched, but individual episodes wouldn't receive metadata, even though they claimed to be doing so. "Refresh" won't get the metadata either. I'm using English libraries.

(I did make some progress this morning, by unmatching and then rematching a series, the entire series metadata was downloaded, including the offending episodes. I await the next automatic download to see if it works on its own again.)

edited July 2016 Accepted Answer

Alright everyone - I think I have officially root caused the problems folks are seeing:

1. If you are unable to do anything with TVDB then the problem is likely due a bad auth sequence. Please try restarting PMS and that should fix your problem for 24 hours until the token expires.

2. For data not matching: Please try one or both of the following when attempting a manually/fix incorrect match (these are just workarounds for now) -
      a. Leave the year empty

3. If you are not seeing any metadata, but the item is matched (ie. has a guid in the info XML that does not look like local://*) then this is likely because there is currently not a fallback to English data in place for non-English libraries.

If you are having issues with matched items not receiving metadata in an English library, please contact me with your XML Information and logs from an attempt to refresh the matched item.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201998867-Investigate-Media-Information-and-Formats (how to find XML Infomation)

I really apologize for the issues you are all having. There should be marginal improvements to matching by 1.0.3 and drastic improvements to the agent by 1.1.0

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 978 Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

@maxflix said:

1. For data not matching: Please try one or both of the following when attempting a manually/fix incorrect match (these is just a workaround for now) -
      a. Leave the year empty

2. If you are not seeing any metadata, but the item is matched (ie. has a guid in the info XML that does not like like local://*) then this is likely because there is currently not a fallback to English data in place for non-English libraries.

I'm having the problem in Windows 2012 r2 PMS 1.0.2 using English settings by default. But if I remove the year, and reselect english from the drop down (for each item matched or unmatched) it's downloading the metadata. I don't think it's just there is no English data in place, but a flaw in the search not populating the search language variable with the defaults.

I'd like to see someone who uses non-english by default check if reselecting their preferred language in the search gives them metadata.

[EDIT]
    Doesn't appear to be perfect work around. You can refill episodes missing metadata by rematching at the Series level using the steps above for English. However, non-English character titles do not work with this method. For example, I can fill in the latest episode metadata for American Ninja Warrior using this method, but I cannot get metadata for Pokémon no matter what I try.

[EDIT 2]
    Looks like I was wrong. The issue only happened with a few items that didn't attempt to search with a date. The rest did not update because they had a year. Pokémon example is still relevant.