Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video in Plex Web Media Manager

sander1sander1 Channel Developer/AdminPosts: 3,279Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
Bookmarklet for Safari on OSX
Hey all!
Elan already tweeted about this, but I thought I'd create a post about this too (at least until video playback is officially part of the Plex Web Media Manager). Get the bookmarklet (and some info on how to use it) here: http://plexapp.tv/bookmarklet/ and enjoy video from inside the Web Media Manager!
Requirements: Safari webbrowser on OSX.

pwmm_video.png

Update July 31, 2011
Fixed to work with new URI structure of the Web Manager.

To-do
  • Figure out how to add a stream quality setting.

Comments

• jamerson9jamerson9 Posts: 772Members ✭✭
    Very nice!
  • eitheeithe Posts: 135Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Sweet, thanks for sharing! Any chance it will work using Chrome?
  • wally007wally007 Posts: 1,162Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    eithe wrote:

Unfortunately it does not seem to work in Chrome. Too bad, as I'd rather use IExplorer than go back to Safari. :(

WebManager is going to be incredible once this is implemented. Hopefully we will be able to also set quality we would like to stream at. ( where is this version getting quality settings? I looked at javascript but didnt see annything obvious )
  • pooploserpooploser Plex Ninja Posts: 958Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    i use safari all the time and it's lovely, wanna share why not safari?
    edited January 2011
    pooploser wrote:

i use safari all the time and it's lovely, wanna share why not safari?

Well i left Safari with first version of Chrome for Mac, so my issues might have been addressed by now but:

- memory hog, not releasing memory even if page was closed ( had to quit and re-launch ), not to mention it had number of memory leaks
    - Crash prone, plus if one tab/web site crashed. it took down the whole app.
    - very few if any extensions
    - bookmark sync was pain to use with Xmarks, its very nicely built-in in Chrome.
    - integration with Gmail and Google calendar ( via extensions ) is very nice in Chrome.
    -Oh and really awkward placement of REFRESH button in Safari
    - and most importantly, I have to use Windows at work. Safari for Windows is just sad beast.

I dont want to turn this thread to Chrome vs Safari vs XXX, as I'm sure Chrome has its drawbacks that other people experience.

By the way, did you try using this script via Internet ? My 1mbps Upload cant handle it :-(
  • pooploserpooploser Plex Ninja Posts: 958Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    of course, was just wondering :) i hope too that the web manager video player will get some extended functions!! :)
  • lhodgkinslhodgkins Posts: 109Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hi sander1,
    Nice Job on the bookmarklet!! Am I correct in assuming this is for Safari on Snow Leopard only?? I cannot seem to get it to work on Safari on Leopard..

Thanks
  • sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,279Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    eithe wrote:

Unfortunately no, Chrome will not be able to play the transcoded streams produced by PMS.

wally007 wrote:

Hopefully we will be able to also set quality we would like to stream at. ( where is this version getting quality settings? I looked at javascript but didnt see annything obvious )

I didn't have a chance to look at that yet, for now it just takes a "medium" quality.

lhodgkins wrote:

Am I correct in assuming this is for Safari on Snow Leopard only?? I cannot seem to get it to work on Safari on Leopard..

I think it should work on Safari/Leopard too (I can't find any info on differences between Safari for 10.5 and 10.6).
  • slowrobotslowrobot Posts: 33Members
    This is awesome. I really want to use this to help troubleshoot an issue I'm having with the iOS clients. To do that, I need to match the quality setting (2mbit / 720p) I'm using on iOS. Do you know how I can do that? I'm perfectly happy to edit your main.js and host it on my internal network, but I'm not sure what to change the quality setting to. I see this "quality=5" in your start_url variable; is that where it's controlled? If so, do you know what value I should use to duplicate the 2mbit / 720p iOS client value? I understand I'll have to change the aspect of the player window too, but I can handle that. Thanks!
    sander1 wrote:

Unfortunately no, Chrome will not be able to play the transcoded streams produced by PMS.

I didn't have a chance to look at that yet, for now it just takes a "medium" quality.

Thanks. I thought it was limitation of Chrome as I could see that PMS started transcoding the video , just Chrome never played it :)
    Will Chrome / Quicktime combo work ?

Is "medium" 1.5mbps stream ?
  • sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,279Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 2011
    slowrobot wrote:

I see this "quality=5" in your start_url variable; is that where it's controlled?

Yes, that's correct. You can find the available values by going to http://x.x.x.x:32400/ and look at the transcoderVideoBitrates and transcoderVideoQualities values.

wally007 wrote:

Thanks. I thought it was limitation of Chrome as I could see that PMS started transcoding the video , just Chrome never played it :)
    Will Chrome / Quicktime combo work ?

Is "medium" 1.5mbps stream ?

I haven't tested an "embedded" Quicktime player, but I think it could work. And yes, "medium" is the 1.5mbps stream (I just called it "medium" as it is somewhere in the middle of all available streams).
  • slowrobotslowrobot Posts: 33Members
    sander1 wrote:

Yes, that's correct. You can find the available values by going to http://x.x.x.x:32400/ and look at the transcoderVideoBitrates and transcoderVideoQualities values.

Thanks! In case it helps anyone else, here's what I found testing a few quality settings (the bitrate and vertical pixels are based on the first chunk of my test file and obviously it's variable, so it's a rough estimate):

5: 640x360 920kb
    6: 1024x576 3363kb
    7: 1024x576 4766kb
    8: 1024x576 6589kb
    9: 1920x1080 8868kb

The iOS clients use quality=6 on the 2mbit / 720p option.
  • dkcpdkcp Posts: 120Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Tried it in Safari on W7x64 but no dice.
    edited January 2011
    dkcp wrote:

Tried it in Safari on W7x64 but no dice.

Works fine in Safari on Mac but wont work under in Safari in Windows 7 using Parallels.

Just had a look at http://videojs.com/ , I suppose if I knew Javascript at all it might work :)
  • David SnyderDavid Snyder Posts: 1,418Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2011
    Thanks very much for this - added it as soon as I saw the tweet and it works great!
  • nadocrewnadocrew Posts: 106Members ✭✭
    I am not sure if there was an update or something, but this doesnt work for me...
    nadocrew wrote:

I am not sure if there was an update or something, but this doesnt work for me...

I just did an update which might fix your problem.
  • nadocrewnadocrew Posts: 106Members ✭✭
    Still not working for me in Safari. The movie window pops up, but the video never plays. It just says loading in the bar with the controls and nothing happens. Any ideas?
  • Chris CChris C Plex Employee Posts: 11,646Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Did you ensure that you downloaded any updates? In the Plex client, go to Plex Online > More > Check for Updates and make sure everything's updated.
    nadocrew wrote:

Still not working for me in Safari. The movie window pops up, but the video never plays. It just says loading in the bar with the controls and nothing happens. Any ideas?

If the overlay with the videoplayer shows up, then the problem isn't in my javascript file(s). It can take a while before videos start playing.