Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[RESOLVED] C runtime library error

elanelan CTO and Co-founderMauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 6,981 Plex Employee
Posting for a user from email:

I installed the 64bit retail version of the Plex Media Server fine. I opened the application and I received a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library error, highlighting in particular the python.exe file. It says "An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly." I close the error message, and the same one immediately pops back up. I can still configure the Server despite this error message.

I thought it may be a compatibility issue, so I installed the 32bit version instead and had the same error. (I'm running Windows 7 64bit).

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 6,981 Plex Employee
    Can you visit this page and lend me a hand?

And install Process Explorer (from here)

It says:

When you get that popup, start up Process Explorer and you'll see multiple instances of msvcr80.dll. Find the one that is not in the SxS area and delete it and these errors will go away.

Let me know if this makes sense, and if you find the *rogue* copy of the DLL, or if it's something we should look into in our binaries.

• JaymzMacJaymzMac Members Posts: 6
    Hi Elan,

I downloaded and installed Process Explorer and there were no instances of msvcr80.dll while I was receiving the C Run-Time Error R6034.

James.
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 6,981 Plex Employee
    Can you save the Process Explorer trace as a text or XML file and upload it here? That way we can have a better look at it.

• mfeingolmfeingol Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,091 Plex Employee
    JaymzMac wrote:

I downloaded and installed Process Explorer and there were no instances of msvcr80.dll while I was receiving the C Run-Time Error R6034.

For what it's worth, the Python.exe that ships with Plex Media Server for Windows depends on msvcr100.dll, not msvcr80.dll. But yes, posting the Process Explorer trace would be a great next step.
    This text file contains a list of all the processes running when the error occurs, and then details the DLLs for the Plex Media Server.exe process and for the python.exe process.

Hope this helps.
  • mfeingolmfeingol Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,091 Plex Employee
    JaymzMac wrote:

This text file contains a list of all the processes running when the error occurs, and then details the DLLs for the Plex Media Server.exe process and for the python.exe process.

JaymzMac:

As a next step, you should download Process Monitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645, run it, tell it to filter on ProcessName = python.exe, launch Plex Media Server (i.e. reproduce the error), then save the trace from Process Monitor and post it here.
    mfeingol wrote:

JaymzMac:

As a next step, you should download Process Monitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645, run it, tell it to filter on ProcessName = python.exe, launch Plex Media Server (i.e. reproduce the error), then save the trace from Process Monitor and post it here.

mfeingol:

See attached for the logfile created from Process Monitor. I saved it in XML format, let me know if this is a problem. I should also be able to save it in CSV format, if necessary.
    JaymzMac wrote:

mfeingol:

See attached for the logfile created from Process Monitor. I saved it in XML format, let me know if this is a problem. I should also be able to save it in CSV format, if necessary.

Oddly, Process Monitor seems to only want to open a PML file. Sorry for the hassle.
    mfeingol wrote:

Oddly, Process Monitor seems to only want to open a PML file. Sorry for the hassle.

No problem. I've uploaded the PML file but I had to zip it first because I didn't have permission to upload the file directly. Hope this isn't an issue.

James.
    edited February 2011
    JaymzMac wrote:

No problem. I've uploaded the PML file but I had to zip it first because I didn't have permission to upload the file directly. Hope this isn't an issue.

Thanks for posting. My guess from looking at the log is that C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.8\miktex\bin\msvcr90.dll is the cause of the problem. MiKTeX shouldn't be redistributing this file themselves, nor putting a directory containing this file into the path. I'd recommend the following:

1) Remove that directory from your system path, or rename/delete that copy of msvcr90.dll.
    2) Install the VC++ 2008 SP1 redist from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displayLang=en
    3) Try again

Hopefully both PMS and MiKTeX will now work. If one of them has a problem, you might also try installing the non-SP1 redist from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en, although that shouldn't be necessary.
    mfeingol wrote:

1) Remove that directory from your system path, or rename/delete that copy of msvcr90.dll.
    2) Install the VC++ 2008 SP1 redist from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displayLang=en
    3) Try again

Fixed. Thanks mfeingol.
  • woedswoeds Members Posts: 7
    I'm having the exact same problem using the 32bit version on Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

-checked my %path% variable for strange directories
    -used process explorer to look for rogue dll's.
    -used process monitor to look for any weird entries.

All came up clean. Any idea's?
    Nevermind, managed to fix it somehow.
  • bertybassettbertybassett Members, Plex Pass Posts: 85 Plex Pass
    woeds wrote:

Nevermind, managed to fix it somehow.

How did you fix it as I am getting this too!
    edited February 2011
    Not sure what did it exactly. I uninstalled everything, rebooted, reinstalled Plex, reinstalled this, rebooted again and then it worked :)
    edited February 2011
    Cr*p, I tried another reinstall because of this problem, and now the original problem is back again :/ This is what Windows tells me
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: Plex Media Server.exe
    Application Version: 0.9.1.17
    Application Timestamp: 4d5c8724
    Fault Module Name: MSVCR100.dll
    Fault Module Version: 10.0.30319.1
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba1dbbe
    Exception Offset: 0008ae6e
    Exception Code: c0000417
    Exception Data: 00000000
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1043
    Additional Information 1: c296
    Additional Information 2: c296ab078d6d56760fedb29939bc53af
    Additional Information 3: 80d9
    Additional Information 4: 80d95b4e5f96c3646b9d6d2e85f43dbc

I've also attached the filtered output from Process Monitor
    woeds wrote:

Cr*p, I tried another reinstall because of this problem, and now the original problem is back again :/ This is what Windows tells me

I've also attached the filtered output from Process Monitor

Looks like the problem is occurring with Plex Media Server.exe, but your Process Explorer log only includes Python.exe. Can you attach a log for Plex Media Server.exe?
  • KingManonKingManon Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    mfeingol wrote:

Thanks for posting. My guess from looking at the log is that C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.8\miktex\bin\msvcr90.dll is the cause of the problem. MiKTeX shouldn't be redistributing this file themselves, nor putting a directory containing this file into the path. I'd recommend the following:

3) Try again

Hopefully both PMS and MiKTeX will now work. If one of them has a problem, you might also try installing the non-SP1 redist from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en, although that shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks this helped me too. I made a search on my whole computer and deleted all occurrences of msvcr90.dll (except in windows dir) and installed the VC++ 2008 SP1 redist.
    mfeingol wrote:

Looks like the problem is occurring with Plex Media Server.exe, but your Process Explorer log only includes Python.exe. Can you attach a log for Plex Media Server.exe?

The actual error I get upon running PMS is related to python.exe. It is identical to the one described in the opening post
    If I then try to exit PMS by rightclicking on the system tray icon, I see the crash info I pasted in my previous post.
    woeds wrote:

The actual error I get upon running PMS is related to python.exe. It is identical to the one described in the opening post
    If I then try to exit PMS by rightclicking on the system tray icon, I see the crash info I pasted in my previous post.

woeds:

Sorry, misread. I'm not sure what to say about the Python issue. Can you post the exact error text or a screenshot of what you're seeing? The log does appear to be free of CRT side-by-side issues, and I see nothing obvious in there.

Also, can you post the crash dump from the PMS process?