If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[BUG?] Camera Upload renames files on Android

garretthollgarrettholl Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Camera upload renames files on Android.

The media from my phone has filenames that start with IMG_, VID_, or PANO_ by default. Upon upload, the files are renamed "yyyy-MM-dd HH.mm.ss.extension"

It doesn't seem necessary, isn't in any changelogs, isn't a date format I've ever considered using, and doesn't happen on iOS. I also don't remember it doing it when Camera Upload only supported images, but I didn't use it much at the time because of the lack of video support.

I've tested it with:

Device OS Plex Version Renames?
iPad iOS 9.3.5 4.2.1 no
LG G2 Android 5.0.2 4.32.1.498 yes
Nexus 6P Android 7.0 4.32.1.498 yes

Any thoughts? If renaming files is some sort of back-end necessity, can we specify a format?

Tagged:

Answers

• LordwindLordwind Posts: 111Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The same issue

Server: vSphere-based PMS with Ubuntu 14.04

Clients: Panasonic TX-PR50ST60 (2013), Samsung UE32J6300 (2015), Amazon TV, iOS, Android, PS4

Ertelecom: ▼▲ 30-100 Mbps 24x7

• chattinchattin Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yep, me too.

• chattinchattin Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Issue remains in today's Android update release, 5.0.0.

Disappointing!

• SpaceTacoSpaceTaco Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Seems to be a function of the file modification time.

I recently moved some pictures / videos from device storage to the SD card and noticed the files were uploaded with new file names different than the filenames on the device in the SD card. The new file names were based on the current date and time even though the files on the android SD card had a different date and time.

I might be able to deal with the photos as they generally have metadata with the capture date in them, but the videos do not. The original date they were captured with is lost when camera upload renames the file.

• SpaceTacoSpaceTaco Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone know if this is still an issue?
    I stopped using this feature because of this bug.

• MarinkMarink Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yep, I get it too, is there any workaround?

• UrmeyStarcherUrmeyStarcher Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Me also. Really problematic. Any updates on this?

• bcknappbcknapp Posts: 6Members Plex Pass

Having this problem too. I recently purchased plex pass but will not be continuing if it changes the file names of my photos.