Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Netflix Plugin

I am new to Plex and I didn't see this topic so please forgive me if it is a duplicate. I have installed plex on my windows PC and on my HTC Inspire, I downloaded the netflix plugin, and when i went to run the plugin it said that silverlight was required. What am I missing?

Comments

• spenwhitspenwhit Posts: 6Members
    Same thing for me. Says silverlight required I have silverlight installed on my windows machine hosting the server.
  • yenkomuscleyenkomuscle Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass
    Where can I find the Netflix plugin?
  • BerdoBerdo Posts: 3Members
    In the Plex Media Manager you have to go to the settings, under advance, and check the box to disable capability checking. Then go back to your phone and reload the plugins. There will be a ton more including hulu and netflix.
    Hulu doesn't work either. I can navigate the shows but the video errors out and says invalid rtsp url. Droid X with windows server on windows 7.
  • IronosityIronosity Posts: 3Members
    Just a heads up for any other noobs... I had to restart the Plex app on my android device AFTER installing plugins to get them to show up on main page.

ironosity
  • yenkomuscleyenkomuscle Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass
    Berdo wrote:

In the Plex Media Manager you have to go to the settings, under advance, and check the box to disable capability checking. Then go back to your phone and reload the plugins. There will be a ton more including hulu and netflix.

Thanks a lot.. on an unrelated note. Would any of you be able to describe how to set up 3g streaming on windows. I don't mean to take over your thread but I have no idea.
  • BerdoBerdo Posts: 3Members
    Yeah I am not getting Hulu to work either. The movie streaming capabilities are enough for me to be happy but I would like to know why the netflix plugin doesn't work.
    edited February 2011
    Ironosity wrote:

Just a heads up for any other noobs... I had to restart the Plex app on my android device AFTER installing plugins to get them to show up on main page.

ironosity

eating my foot
    edited February 2011
    spenwhit wrote:

Oh I had to restart my brain to figure out if you were patronizing us noobs.

Nope, just assuming that there are others that are as dumb noob as me but not willing to admit it by posting the question. I installed the netflix (and other) plugin but couldn't figure out how to launch it. Finally I restarted that app and could see my plugins listed on the home page.

Not that it did any good since it still doesn't work. I hope it does eventually. I purchased this app soley for the purpose of streaming netflix and hulu to my phone, seeing as blasted Netflix won't make an app for the device, and even when it does it sounds like it will be device specific and not support any older phones (Original Droid owner runing 2.3 here).

Here's hoping.
    darrin wrote:

Q: How can I get Netflix and Hulu on my Android phone?

First off - I'm sorry but at this point you can only get Netflix or Hulu working if you are running PMS on Mac.

That said if you're on a Mac...

Does this imply that in the (hopefully near) future netflix will be supported under windows?

Ironosity
  • darrindarrin Plex Dev Team Posts: 2,044Members
    Ironosity wrote:

Does this imply that in the (hopefully near) future netflix will be supported under windows?

Ironosity

Ha - I didn't mean to imply anything. Let's just say we'd love to have all our plugins working on PMS for Windows... but don't start holding your breath yet.
  • morganducksmorganducks Posts: 1Members
    Netflix would be the clincher for me to buy Plex for Android. Hell, I would even pay MORE.
  • elanelan Sheriff of Plexville MauiPosts: 9,001Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited February 2011
    Ironosity wrote:

We will look into supporting Webkit-based plug-ins (which includes Netflix and Hulu) under Windows in the future.
  • TheNinjaTheNinja Posts: 3Members
    edited February 2011
    Settings, Advanced? Where the hell is all that? Obvious you guys didn't hire a UI person to do your interface.

Yeah, I think I will check back in a year, when this thing has "matured".
  • bloodymurderlivebloodymurderlive Posts: 2Members ✭✭
    elan wrote:

We will look into supporting Webkit-based plug-ins (which includes Netflix and Hulu) under Windows in the future.

As long as the plug-ins remain on hold indefinitely, I will hang on to my cash ... also indefinitely.

Man, what a buzz kill ...
  • JinxtJinxt Posts: 1Members ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    W.T.F.?

So you guys released a windows version of your software, called it by the same name as your Mac software but they have different feature sets since the plugins are not cross-compatible?

Shame on you guys.

I want a refund. My 15 minutes are up so I can't refund through the Android Market. You guys need to pull Plex from the Android market and pull the broken Windows version from your site now, fix your crap and then re-release it later. That is total B.S. and it is false advertisement. I was led to believe that the Windows release meant that your Mac-only software was now cross-compatible. That is not the case. I want my $5 back.
  • elanelan Sheriff of Plexville MauiPosts: 9,001Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    TheNinja wrote:

Settings, Advanced? Where the hell is all that? Obvious you guys didn't hire a UI person to do your interface.

Yeah, I think I will check back in a year, when this thing has "matured".

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for checking it out. Indeed, if your only goal is get Netflix or Hulu to work, then it's not for you at the moment.

As long as the plug-ins remain on hold indefinitely, I will hang on to my cash ... also indefinitely.

Man, what a buzz kill ...

Thanks for voting with your wallet, and I personally apologize for ruining your state of euphoria.
    edited February 2011
    Jinxt wrote:

W.T.F.?

So you guys released a windows version of your software, called it by the same name as your Mac software but they have different feature sets since the plugins are not cross-compatible?

Shame on you guys.

I'm really sorry you feel that way, but I have to point out a few things:

1) The Plex Media Server for Windows has incredibly rich support for local content, which is very useful to many people.

2) The plug-ins are completely compatible, we just don't support the Flash-transcoding feature in the server yet.

3) The plug-ins that don't require Flash/Silverlight do work on Windows just fine.

4) The server is free.

Jinxt wrote:

I want a refund. My 15 minutes are up so I can't refund through the Android Market. You guys need to pull Plex from the Android market and pull the broken Windows version from your site now, fix your crap and then re-release it later. That is total B.S. and it is false advertisement. I was led to believe that the Windows release meant that your Mac-only software was now cross-compatible. That is not the case. I want my $5 back.

First of all, we'd be happy to give you a refund for your $4.99, it's never our policy to take your money if you're not happy with your purchase. Please contact android@plexapp.com and we'll process it for you.

Secondly, I'm not sure why you feel that we're trying to advertise falsely. The Android application does work with these plug-ins, if you're using a Mac Plex Media Server. If you go to download the Windows Media Server, you'll see this:

20110219-naism14sy9xepxtx5yhg1rrnew.jpg

I see from your post count that you're new to Plex and the community in general, and I'd like to welcome you. We run things a bit differently around here than other forums you may have visited in the past. We're a friendly bunch, and we try to be nice and helpful to each other.

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for checking the Android app out!
  • TheNinjaTheNinja Posts: 3Members
    elan wrote:

I'm really sorry you feel that way, but I have to point out a few things:

1) The Plex Media Server for Windows has incredibly rich support for local content, which is very useful to many people.

2) The plug-ins are completely compatible, we just don't support the Flash-transcoding feature in the server yet.

3) The plug-ins that don't require Flash/Silverlight do work on Windows just fine.

4) The server is free.

First of all, we'd be happy to give you a refund for your $4.99, it's never our policy to take your money if you're not happy with your purchase. Please contact android@plexapp.com and we'll process it for you.

Secondly, I'm not sure why you feel that we're trying to advertise falsely. The Android application does work with these plug-ins, if you're using a Mac Plex Media Server. If you go to download the Windows Media Server, you'll see this:

20110219-naism14sy9xepxtx5yhg1rrnew.jpg

I see from your post count that you're new to Plex and the community in general, and I'd like to welcome you. We run things a bit differently around here than other forums you may have visited in the past. We're a friendly bunch, and we try to be nice and helpful to each other.

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for checking the Android app out!

You guys sound like a touchy-feely, PC, group-hug type of organization, so I will try not to hurt your feelings.

First of all, I am going to guess that a significant number of people that purchased your app on the Android Market didn't purchase the app for:

At the same time, I wouldn't say that you guys committed any false advertising. But, selling an app in the Android Market that is a crippled version of what is available on the iPhone doesn't seem right. Let's face it, if you're paying for an app, you don't expect major features (like Netflix, as an example) to be left out, especially if it's supported on the iPhone. IMHO, you should be offering a "Lite" or Trial version for now. Sure, I know it's a "business decision", and you need to start showing a return for your time on development, but how many refunds are you processing right now? Maybe alot. Maybe not. You're also losing potential customers in the event that you ever get this app fully working for Android.

For me, I am looking for more Android support in the future, but when I see responses like:

"Ha - I didn't mean to imply anything. Let's just say we'd love to have all our plugins working on PMS for Windows... but don't start holding your breath yet."

I am not so optimistic.

Hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings. :-)

Thanks.