Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PS4 Pro support?

KevinChaosKevinChaos Members Posts: 1

Are there any plans to support 10-bit H.265 video (and mkv container) in the Playstation app when PS4 Pro releases? I would love to use Plex on my PS4 Pro to Direct Play/Direct Stream all of my 4k media instead of using the Plex app on my Samsung TV. My computer cannot handle transcoding 4k files.

Answers

• kay.onekay.one Plex Engineer Vancouver, CanadaMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 321 Plex Employee

We are working with Sony to add support for 4K playback in PS4 Pro,

Based on the documentation that I have seen 4K playback support will be limited to AVC encoded content Profile High Level 5.1 at 26Mbits/s.

we still have to test it using the actual device but it doesn't look like we will be getting MKV or HEVC (h265) support.

• joeldeluxe94joeldeluxe94 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

@kay.one said:

Based on the documentation that I have seen 4K playback support will be limited to AVC encoded content Profile High Level 5.1 at 26Mbits/s.

we still have to test it using the actual device but it doesn't look like we will be getting MKV or HEVC (h265) support.

Why not HEVC support? Isn't Netflix already using it on Sony 4k TVs? :)

• kay.onekay.one Plex Engineer Vancouver, CanadaMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 321 Plex Employee

@joeldeluxe94 said:

Well a couple of reasons, Sony TVs use Android TV as far as I know which is an entirely different platform. Also in many cases, Netflix will get access to features earlier/exclusively on many platforms.

• joeldeluxe94joeldeluxe94 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

@kay.one said:

@joeldeluxe94 said:

Well a couple of reasons, Sony TVs use Android TV as far as I know which is an entirely different platform. Also in many cases, Netflix will get access to features earlier/exclusively on many platforms.

Will this change things? https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/10/12/ps4s-media-player-v2-50-update-360-video-and-photos-flac-and-upscaled-music-support/

unfortunately most likely not, the media player we have access to is much more limited than the built in media player users can use, there are many codecs already supported by the native player/dlna (mp3,mkv, etc) that we don't have access to.

I personally wouldn't hold my breath for native flac support in the plex app.

• dent^dent^ Members, Plex Pass Posts: 86 Plex Pass

Hello, does anyone know if the ps4 pro supports HEVC yet? Also how is the audio support? I have a DTS HD, DTS, Dolby digital and Dolby digital trueHD compatible home theatre. I also have a lot of blu ray movies which have those kind of audio codecs. Does the ps4 directplay that kind of audio formats?

• jfsikorajfsikora Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

@dent^ said:
    Hello, does anyone know if the ps4 pro supports HEVC yet? Also how is the audio support? I have a DTS HD, DTS, Dolby digital and Dolby digital trueHD compatible home theatre. I also have a lot of blu ray movies which have those kind of audio codecs. Does the ps4 directplay that kind of audio formats?

Nope... Plays everything in 1080p sadly.

• RED_VINYLRED_VINYL Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Hi everybody

I recently downloaded the Plex app for PS4 but I'm a bit disappointed because it won't load beyond the login screen. After installing PLEX on the evening of purchase I noticed that it loaded terribly slow. When I eventually had to enter my pincode to acces my library, I noticed I was unable to. Plex works (and worked) fine on all my other devices (PS3, Ipad, Iphone, Imac, Windows and Samsung galaxy tab)

I recently tried uninstalling the app, rebooting my PS4 and then reinstalling but that didn't help. I'm really confused as to why Plex decides to not function properly on my PS4.

I run the following system:
    Synology DS214 play NAS connected with cable to my router
    Broadband router
    PS4 Pro connected with cable to my router

Does someone else have the same problem?

@RED_VINYL said:
    Hi everybody

I recently downloaded the Plex app for PS4 but I'm a bit disappointed because it won't load beyond the login screen. After installing PLEX on the evening of purchase I noticed that it loaded terribly slow. When I eventually had to enter my pincode to acces my library, I noticed I was unable to. Plex works (and worked) fine on all my other devices (PS3, Ipad, Iphone, Imac, Windows and Samsung galaxy tab)

I recently tried uninstalling the app, rebooting my PS4 and then reinstalling but that didn't help. I'm really confused as to why Plex decides to not function properly on my PS4.

I run the following system:
    Synology DS214 play NAS connected with cable to my router
    Broadband router
    PS4 Pro connected with cable to my router

Does someone else have the same problem?

Nope, but you may want to create your own thread since it has nothing to do with this discussion otherwise you won't get any help. Good luck.

• RED_VINYLRED_VINYL Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Nope, but you may want to create your own thread since it has nothing to do with this discussion otherwise you won't get any help. Good luck.

I tried but nobody ever replied...
    Thread can be found here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/249300/plex-wont-load-beyond-start-screen-on-ps4-pro

:/

@RED_VINYL said:

I tried but nobody ever replied...
    Thread can be found here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/249300/plex-wont-load-beyond-start-screen-on-ps4-pro

:/

Don't feel bad, I posted a question a year ago and today it is still unanswered. lol Support doesn't seem to be the greatest in the PS4 forum...

• KarlDagKarlDag Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,537 Plex Pass

Dev already said that as far as he knew HEVC want available to 3rd party apps, so don't expect it.

edited December 2016

@KarlDag said:
    Dev already said that as far as he knew HEVC want available to 3rd party apps, so don't expect it.

The was back at the start of October before the console even was released. Perhaps an update from the developer would be nice. Surely more information is available at this point. Actually any information regarding a PS4 Pro update would be nice.

• emma24xiaemma24xia Members Posts: 76 ✭✭

PS4 Pro only supports to play 4K video encoded with H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level5.1, you can use the Plex Media Server to transcode H.265 codec, however, you must have a computer with powerful CPU, because the transcoding process will be very processor intensive.

• ferrar1sferrar1s Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

So do the limitations Sony impose mean that HD Audio (LPCM or Dolby TrueHD or Master HD) from ripped blu-rays is not possible ie. even if the sound settings aon the PS4 are set to LPCM the sound is restricted to SD audio (SD LPCM, Dolby Digital or DTS)?

• technoCoretechnoCore Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

So does Plex on the PS4 Pro play 4K anything? I understand the media player Plex has access to is hobbled, but sounded like it did support a hobbled 4K. Are we still waiting on initial support for 4K or better support for 4K?

• KarlDagKarlDag Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,537 Plex Pass

As far as I know, no. And the latest update made my PS4 Pro Plex even buggier and useless than it was...

• theantipoptheantipop Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Also curious if there is progress with Plex 4K streaming on the PS4 Pro. Any updates??

• theantipoptheantipop Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

@kay.one said:

Any updates?

• logan_izer10logan_izer10 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@theantipop said:

@kay.one said:

Any updates?

+1