Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can't install Plex win 7 - bonjour x86 faliure

plexberryplexberry Posts: 211Members ✭✭
Help needed!
HI

I have plex on my Mac Book Pro but can't get anything from my windows desktop.

SO now Plex is on Windows I have tried to install it but straight away I get stuck!!!

It says I must install Bonjour x86 and Visual Basic. It doesn't get to Basic because it fails on Bonjour x86. No reason for it.

I have the latest version anyway. I uninstalled it and and tried it. No luck. I reinstalled it and tried it. No luck.

Any ideas or knowledge of this problem would help someone desperate to get Plex up and running!

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • playstation87playstation87 Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Bonjour is a download from apple. I had no problems because it comes with an install of itunes or I believe you can install the bonjour service by iteself. Then do the plex install and it should prompt you to download the right visual basix stuff and then you should be good to go.
  • bonmotbonmot Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass
    I had the same problem on my Windows 7 box. I found a standalone download for bonjour print services from Apple, but that didn't do any good (unsurprisingly). I guess I'll try the iTunes approach. It seems like the Win installer should come with everything necessary to run, but maybe that's just me...

    Until I get this sorted, I'll be continuing to use my Mac Mini as the front and backend.
  • bonmotbonmot Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass
    bonmot wrote:

    I had the same problem on my Windows 7 box. I found a standalone download for bonjour print services from Apple, but that didn't do any good (unsurprisingly). I guess I'll try the iTunes approach. It seems like the Win installer should come with everything necessary to run, but maybe that's just me...

    Until I get this sorted, I'll be continuing to use my Mac Mini as the front and backend.


    I can verify that installing iTunes provided Bonjour to my Windows box, which then enabled the PMS installation to proceed as expected.
  • mfeingolmfeingol Director of Engineering Posts: 5,016Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
    If you're having issues with Bonjour failing to install, it's ultimately an Apple problem, but that doesn't help either of us.

    So if you can, please provide diagnostic details. E.g. download the bonjour.msi from Apple and install it using the logging command line detailed here. That way maybe we can figure out what's going wrong from the log.

    Currently, PMS won't operate without Bonjour, so unfortunately it's truly a prerequisite to get it installed.
  • plexberryplexberry Posts: 211Members ✭✭
    Thanks. I have done solo installs etc of Bonjour but with no luck.

    Dev Team: I will try the install later (when I get home) and report back.

    In the meantime if anyone knows any easy way to solve this. I'm presuming it's a clashing with another prog. But not sure what!

    Thanks
  • plexberryplexberry Posts: 211Members ✭✭
    mfeingol: Does this help?

    Installing using command 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe' and parameters ' -I "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCECE.tmp\Bonjour_x86\bonjour.msi" -q '
    Will attempt to elevate process.
    Process exited with code 1603
  • plexberryplexberry Posts: 211Members ✭✭
    I should also add that I have tried installing Plex on my main pc tower - which is a good spec pc - and it does the same thing. Despite having iTunes and Bonjour installed an up to date. Thats two pc's running Win 7 that it doesn't like...
  • mfeingolmfeingol Director of Engineering Posts: 5,016Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
    plexberry wrote:

    mfeingol: Does this help?

    Installing using command 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe' and parameters ' -I "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCECE.tmp\Bonjour_x86\bonjour.msi" -q '
    Will attempt to elevate process.
    Process exited with code 1603


    That's a very generic error code.

    But here's a question: if you have a SysWOW64 subdirectory, you're running Windows 7 x64 (aka the 64-bit version). Why are you trying to install the 32-bit version of PMS? Have you tried installing the 64-bit version?
  • slavikmeslavikme Posts: 1Members
    edited February 2011
    plexberry wrote:

    HI

    I have plex on my Mac Book Pro but can't get anything from my windows desktop.

    SO now Plex is on Windows I have tried to install it but straight away I get stuck!!!

    It says I must install Bonjour x86 and Visual Basic. It doesn't get to Basic because it fails on Bonjour x86. No reason for it.

    I have the latest version anyway. I uninstalled it and and tried it. No luck. I reinstalled it and tried it. No luck.

    Any ideas or knowledge of this problem would help someone desperate to get Plex up and running!

    Thanks in advance


    I believe the problem is that you are trying to install PMS x86 on Win7 x64.
    Anyway, try to download both version of PMS x86 and x64, and try to install each one of them. Good luck.

    Hope I helped. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.