Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Manager for FreeNAS

You know what would be really, really great? A version of the Plex Media Manager i can run from my Freenas box. Would be rather ideal (and saving me some money due to lower electricity bills). Don't know if this is possible, but would sure be awesome!

Comments

• Svein_JarleSvein_Jarle Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass
    Second this! This would be awesome, and it would speed up my Plex-system tremendously.
  • TruBrewTruBrew Posts: 41Members
    While I agree that is sounds like a good idea, I don't think it would be possible. Just off the top, the point of freeNAS is to use very little resources, and many peoples systems would not likely be able to handle it. It also seems like it would be a risk to have your freeNAS system connecting to the internet, I sure don't want anything to happen to my files. I don't know how many people use it to store their media, but I bet its not a huge percentage. I would also bet its just not possible. I don't think FreeNAS allows third party apps. Saying all of that, if the devs found a way to build it, I would use it.
  • MrBritneyBeersMrBritneyBeers Posts: 5Members
    A Synology NAS client would be great too! Right now im in doubt if I should choose a Plex solution (Mac mini + NAS) or XBMC solution (only NAS).

Its a shame that Plex cant run directly on my NAS, streaming to my Apple TV 2 like XBMC is able to.
  • aqntbghdaqntbghd Posts: 275Members ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    I made a similar request for may wonderfull cheap linux *LG* NAS :) but well.... it hasn't happenned yet... I think the main problem is : How to make a PMS on a machine that lacks any user interface ?
  • captaintatercaptaintater Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass
    aqntbghd wrote:

I think the main problem is : How to make a PMS on a machine that lacks any user interface ?

First of all, +1 for a FreeNas based Plex media server.

Secondly, Since FreeNas has no user interface, would it be possible to some how run a user interface on a connected computer. From that computer you would manage the media server that runs off of the FreeNas.

I don't know if I am explaining this clearly. Basically, the FreeNas acts as a free standing media server that serves plex to any connected device (ATV, Mac, LG device, etc.), but to manage that Plex Server you connect via laptop or something, maybe using Chrome, sort of like on the windows Plex server. Only difference is that Chrome is running on a different machine than the server, but is managing information that is stored on the server.

Does that make sense?
  • engessaengessa Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

First of all, +1 for a FreeNas based Plex media server.

Secondly, Since FreeNas has no user interface, would it be possible to some how run a user interface on a connected computer. From that computer you would manage the media server that runs off of the FreeNas.

I don't know if I am explaining this clearly. Basically, the FreeNas acts as a free standing media server that serves plex to any connected device (ATV, Mac, LG device, etc.), but to manage that Plex Server you connect via laptop or something, maybe using Chrome, sort of like on the windows Plex server. Only difference is that Chrome is running on a different machine than the server, but is managing information that is stored on the server.

Does that make sense?
    FreeNAS has a userinterface! It's build to be made remotely manageable via webpages so that shouldn't be a problem. I did contact Elan via twitter about this and this was his response:

There hasn't been that much demand for it, < 1/10 of the requests compared to UnRAID/ReadyNAS/QNAP/Synology. Not impossible, though

Plex on Freenas 8 will take a lot of work but on Freenas 7 it should be doable. But apparently there is very little demand for it :(
  • KristijanKristijan Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Would love to see this as well, +1 from me.

-Kristijan
  • misterredmanmisterredman Posts: 23Members ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Would be nice to have PMS directly on FreeNAS! +1

http://blog.freenas.org

I'd like to add that then new version of FreeNAS, version 8 will have a plug in system that will easily let the user add software to their setup.

Right now they are accepting suggestions for the plugins and ports:

http://blog.freenas.org/2011/06/requesting-software-for-81-plugin.html
  • neleknelek Posts: 65Members

FreeNAS has a userinterface! It's build to be made remotely manageable via webpages so that shouldn't be a problem.

Rather than reinvent the wheel with regards to UI on every NAS system again, I'd rather see a desktop management client (basically a stand alone version of the Library Manager in Plex media server) which can connect to a Plex server daemon running on the NAS box of choice. This would be far more ideal, since NAS boxes usually are constrained in resources, and you don't have to rebuild the entire managment UI in a web environment.