If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Item Failed conversion and Metadata error

missionspartamissionsparta Posts: 222Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm trying to sync from Windows 10 to a phone using the Windows 10 Mobile app. 90% of the time everything runs fine. And then every now and then, I'll have a sync set up to say sync 5 unwatched episodes of a certain show. They will all sync fine except one episode. The main sync screen for the sync setups will say that an Item Failed Conversion. When you go into the actual sync on with the error, it will show that episode that didn't sync to have a Metadata error. Going and looking on the server, the episode shows up fine, is in the right order, has a synopisis and the rest of the info, and plays fine. I have tried to refresh and reanylze the library, but that doesn't help. Does anyone know what is causing this or have any suggestions? Thanks

Answers

• missionspartamissionsparta Posts: 222Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ok, the only way to fix this is to move the file from a "watched folder" to an "unwatched folder", wait for it to disappear from the server, and replace it back to the "watched folder", and let it reconvert the file. This O ly happens with some of the TV shows (no movies), and is always fixed when I reconvert it. Any suggestions?

It just did it again on two more TV Show (red oaks) episodes. I have included a log if anyone can help me as to figure out what keeps causing this?

Ok. Going through the logs, I keep coming up with this error on the episodes that fail conversion because of metadata issues:

'We seem to be missing the hash for media item'

Can anyone tell me what that means?

edited November 2016

edited November 2016

edited November 2016

• Martin.SMartin.S Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can't help you, but have you tried whether the error also occurs with a device other than your Windows Mobile?

• Chris CChris C Posts: 11,826Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Very sorry this thread fell through the cracks. It's actually more appropriate in the Windows server forum (not the client app forum) since the issue is on the server side. I've gone ahead and moved it for you.

Looking at the Plex Media Server logs, I see logs like:

Nov 11, 2016 11:09:46.463 [10952] ERROR - Error opening file 'C:\Users\missi\Videos\TV\Red Oaks\Season 2\Red Oaks - s02e02 - Memorial Day.mp4' - 13
    Nov 11, 2016 11:09:46.463 [10952] ERROR - MDE: video has neither a video stream nor an audio stream
    Nov 11, 2016 11:09:46.463 [10952] ERROR - MDE: no compatible media decisions are available
    Nov 11, 2016 11:09:46.464 [10952] ERROR - Sync: unable to make a media decision for metadata item 3086

and

Nov 11, 2016 12:09:44.047 [10964] ERROR - Error opening file 'C:\Users\missi\Videos\TV\Red Oaks\Season 2\Red Oaks - s02e04 - _The Bris_.mp4' - 13
    Nov 11, 2016 12:09:44.047 [10964] ERROR - MDE: video has neither a video stream nor an audio stream
    Nov 11, 2016 12:09:44.048 [10964] ERROR - MDE: no compatible media decisions are available
    Nov 11, 2016 12:09:44.048 [10964] ERROR - Sync: unable to make a media decision for metadata item 3089

Based on those logs and and from your description of things, it definitely suggests that either (1) the files are corrupted or (2) they didn't get analyzed correctly. Since you mention that adding them fresh again works, it's almost certainly #2.

You can instruct your server to re-analyze one or more items. There isn't really a way to know ahead of time which of your items might have gotten bad info, so you might start just testing with one item that gives you problems and if that works, then you might choose to simply analyze the entire library. (Depending on the library size, that could take a while.)

Need help? Having trouble?
    » Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
    » Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

I apologize for before. I was getting frustrated and should have waited. Now a really stupid question.... How do I reanalyze just one item? I see how to do the entire library. And also, is there a way to reanalyze an item from a remote device (cell phone app)? I ask this because I am usually a way from home (trip, etc) when I realize I can't sync new shows because of this issue. Thanks a ton for your help.

• Chris CChris C Posts: 11,826Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The linked article covers how to analyze a library, multiple items, or a single item. Basically, the option will be available via the left actionbar when viewing the individual item (movie, TV episode). Analysis can only be initiated via the web app, but you can always just load the web app on your phone.

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums

Crap. I didn't see the highlighted link. Hahaha. My bad...having one of those weeks. L-)

Ok. I have tried to reanalyze the faulted episodes as well as refresh. That still fixes nothing. The only thing that does is to move the episodes from a monitored folder, refresh that show on the Plex server, move the episode back into the monitored folder, and refresh it again. And oddly enough this only occurs with TV shows; never with movies.

This sounds odd, but these shows are all recorded. Could it be looking for metadata before the recording ends and as the file isn't closed out yet, it fails with the "No video and audio" error? If so is there a work around for this?

When you say the shows are "all recorded", do you mean via our new (beta) DVR feature or using some other method? If it's the latter (some 3rd-party DVR functionality), then are you recording the files directly into your library? e.g. The new file gets created in your TV library content location and it's slowly built up as the recording progresses.

If that's the case, then it could definitely potentially cause problems. In that case, you might consider recording to a temporary location and then only once the recording (and thus the file) is complete would you move the file into your TV library location.

Now, if you were using our own beta DVR feature, then it should work fine. In that case, it could be useful to start out getting some info:

1. For an episode exhibiting the problem, save the XML file for the library item
    2. Perform an Analyze on the single item
    3. Grab the newest "Plex Media Scanner Analysis.log" log file
    4. Save a new XML file for the same file after analysis
    5. Attach both XML files (named appropriately) along with the analysis log file to a reply here

I'm using Playon to record directly into the library. I never though about it being an issue until today. Thanks for the help. I'm going to assume that's the issue. Though I don't understand why refreshing and/or reanalyzing the problem episodes won't fix it and only the 'move out and move back in' method solves the issue. I appreciate the time you spent on this with me. It would be nice if they could make an option that when this occurs, it maybe rechecks the file every hour or so (maybe a setting).

Yeah, not sure why doing an Analyze on the library item wouldn't sort things out, but it's also kind of just a guess about what the actual underlying cause is.

Seeing the previously-requested XML files/logs might still be useful. But your actual "fix" is likely going to be my suggestion of only adding the content to the library once it's completed recording (so that the file itself is complete).

Ok. I think the reason an Analyze doesn't sort things out, is because while it may fix the original problem, it appears that the server sends an error to your sync device (phone) when you first try to sync; and it also appears once an error is sent to that device pertaining to that episode that there is no way to reset that error. I say this because as I stated before, I am away from home often so it makes it hard to do the fix of moving the file in and out of the monitored folder impossible, as well as I do most of my syncing away from home. The only solution I have found that works from my phone is to delete the sync for that entire show, and then reset it up. Then and only then, will the error clear and allow me to sync the episode (since this seems to be the only way to clear the error). While I see that the issue on hand originally is that the episode is not closed out from recording when the server originally checks it, the issue remains on the mobile device because the error report does not clear. Is there a way to report this to the tech team and hopefully get this changed in an update for the Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 (UWP) apps where the error would be cleared and rechecked at the relaunch of a sync? Thanks once again for everyone's time. Love the product. Been well worth the money so far.