If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku Ultra handling of DTS-HD in mkv - brought over from reddit

repentancerepentance Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/5ajyzy/roku_ultra_transcoding_some_dts_tracks/

That's the thread I started in r/PleX for background. I was encouraged to make a post here to continue looking into the situation.

1) Is the Roku Ultra transcoding audio? PMS insists it is in directplay mode yet DTS-HD tracks are being converted to DD+ somewhere.

2) Why are some of my DTS-HD tracks being played back properly (the core only), which, according to LJunkie, is unexpected until Roku fixes the bug.

I enabled debug and remote logging and played back two files - one plays the DTS core, the other transcodes to DD+. Time was 8:22-8:24PM USA central time.

Best Answer

Answers

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,944Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited November 2016

First off, wow INFO Measured bandwidth: 121.6 Mbps (121583 kbps). You have an excellent connection upstream :)

Back to the subject at hand. I've parse the logs and I see three playback attempts, and all three did Direct Play, so there was zero transcoding being done from the PMS. This is a surprising turn of events as we haven't been able to Direct Play any media with DTS-HD audio. Normally you'd see this in the logs DEBUG roVideoPlayer::statusMessage: (unhandled) Trying to pass through sample bigger than buffer., but your Roku seems to work, other than the fact you are seeing DD+ instead of DTS-HD.

1. Are you able to share the two files in question so we can try to replicate it over here? (google drive, dropbox, etc)
    2. Can you also enable remote logging, exit the channel and open it again. This will send us the info about the current firmware version.
    3. Is the Roku hooked up through HDMI or do you have the S/PDIF connected?
  • repentancerepentance Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Cool. :)

I'm happy to share. Is there a way to do that from within PMS? Add you as friend?

I enabled remote logging and exited the channel then played a couple videos just for good measure. 1 played DTS core, the other DD+, both DTS-HD 7.1 tracks.

didn't see the update.

Roku is connected via HDMI to a Denon 3312 receiver.

roku audio settings I left untouched - default is "auto" when connected via HDMI.

• sylvainsfsylvainsf Posts: 21Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Did you ever get this working? I have the same issue where PMS is streaming TrueHD & DTS-HD MA to the Roku Ultra, then the Roku Ultra (connected directly via HDMI HDCP 2.2 to my Denon AVR-S510BT) is outputting DD+.

@sylvainsf said:
    Did you ever get this working? I have the same issue where PMS is streaming TrueHD & DTS-HD MA to the Roku Ultra, then the Roku Ultra (connected directly via HDMI HDCP 2.2 to my Denon AVR-S510BT) is outputting DD+.

I don't know. I stopped using Roku.

• sylvainsfsylvainsf Posts: 21Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah after more research I opted for an Nvidia Shield to replace it. :neutral: