If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[BUG] iOS players no longer appearing in Plex Web's cast drop down

kirichkovkirichkov Posts: 7Members ✭✭

I'm no longer able to control and fling media to iOS devices from the Plex Web App.

iOS Plex App is updated to the latest version. Plex Media server is running on Linux and is also up to date - version 1.3.3.

I'm able to fling media from iOS app to iOS app, running on a different device. I can also fling media from iOS to Plex Web App.
Other Plex Web App instances, Plex for Playstation appear in the web app, only the iOS players are missing from the drop down.

Answers

• neocharlesneocharles Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any update with this, by any chance?

• markus101markus101 Posts: 182Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I've been investigating the inverse of this, where iOS devices are showing all the time, even with Advertise as Player turned off in the iOS. I haven't seen any cases where it's not showing up when it should in my testing.

Are the iOS devices on the same network as the the web client?
    Are they connected to the same server?
    If you're able to the contents of two responses would be helpful /clients and /resources the easiest way to get that would be from the developer's console under the network tab.

• kirichkovkirichkov Posts: 7Members ✭✭

To start backwards: yes, all clients connect to the same server. I have only one plex media server.

For the first question, my case is the following:
    I have the server on one subnet - 192.168.1.0/24; the players - iOS, PS4 and web - are on 192.168.2.0/24 subnet. Web and PS4 appear, iOS does not. I've tried multiple iOS players (devices) on 192.168.2.0/24 and they see each other, but the web (also 192.168.2.0/24) does not see either devices.

I've also checked the XML that the media server serves with the list of clients, and the iOS devices do not appear there, so I ruled out the possibility this being a bug in the iOS app.

The two networks in question are interconnected via VPN and routed. Multicast does not pass through so I believe this is why GDM doesn't work but I'm guessing all clients register manually to the server if it's specified by IP/hostname.

I'm sure this worked in the 1.2.x version of the media server as I've used it multiple times to control my iOS player from the web player. Unfortunately I skipped 1.3.0, 1.3.1 and 1.3.2, I jumped from (I think) 1.2.7 to 1.3.3, so I can't pinpoint in which version this stopped working.

Whenever the media server and the iOS players are on the same network, they do appear in the drop down.

I've also tried enabling public access to the server, but it makes no difference whatsoever.

Let me know if I can provide you with any more information or if you want me to test somethain't.

• markus101markus101 Posts: 182Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the details.

I've also checked the XML that the media server serves with the list of clients, and the iOS devices do not appear there, so I ruled out the possibility this being a bug in the iOS app.

The web client relies on /clients to populate the lsit of clients, so it not being there would explain why it's not appearing

What about the https://plex.tv/api/resources request from the web app?
    Do you see the iOS devices listed there?

all clients register manually to the server if it's specified by IP/hostname.

Are you manually specifying the server in the iOS client?

@markus101 said:
    What about the https://plex.tv/api/resources request from the web app?
    Do you see the iOS devices listed there?

Yes, the iOS app is listed in https://plex.tv/api/resources. I opened the Media Server's interface, and used developer tools - there's a request to plex.tv/api/resources and the iOS client is indeed listed there.

all clients register manually to the server if it's specified by IP/hostname.

Are you manually specifying the server in the iOS client?

No, I'm using my plex account which auto-populates the server. I don't see an option to manually add a server in the iOS app using IP address, and according to this thread this hasn't been possible for over a year.

Asking a few people about this, but I wanted to confirm that the iOS devices have Advertise as Player enabled for them (I'm not sure what the default is). The fact that they show up when you're on the same LAN might be related to GDM and the issue I mentioned before (they're showing up regardless of the Advertise as Player setting).

No, I'm using my plex account which auto-populates the server. I don't see an option to manually add a server in the iOS app using IP address, and according to this thread this hasn't been possible for over a year.

I just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly, through plex.tv explains why it shows up in /api/resources though.

@markus101 said:
    Asking a few people about this, but I wanted to confirm that the iOS devices have Advertise as Player enabled for them (I'm not sure what the default is). The fact that they show up when you're on the same LAN might be related to GDM and the issue I mentioned before (they're showing up regardless of the Advertise as Player setting).

Yes, I made sure it's on. I also tried turning it off, restarting the app, turning it on, but makes no difference when on a different subnet.

I just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly, through plex.tv explains why it shows up in /api/resources though.

If there's a way to add a server manually I don't mind testing this approach.

The fact that GDM isn't working, may be an issue, but in the plex server logs (debug to be sure), the server should be receiving requests to /player are you seeing those requests from your clients? I'm particularly interested in requests from the iOS clients, but knowing whether other clients appear as well may help narrow things down.

The fact that GDM isn't working, may be an issue, but in the plex server logs (debug to be sure), the server should be receiving requests to /player are you seeing those requests from your clients? I'm particularly interested in requests from the iOS clients, but knowing whether other clients appear as well may help narrow things down.

GET /player/proxy/poll

I'm seeing these but coming from the Plex Web app, I don't see any, coming from the iOS app

From the iOS app, when I start playback and cast it to the the Plex Web App I see:
    GET /player/playback/playMedia
    GET /player/timeline/subscribe
    GET /player/timeline/unsubscribe

I just tested it with the just-released version 4.7 of the iOS app and it still doesn't show up in the cast menu.

• udo.christudo.christ Posts: 416Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For me iOS devices only appear on the list of players (URL) when i enable "act as a remote player" and force-quit/restart the iOS app afterwards. Seems this flag is only checked upon application start somehow.

I got a test network and server setup and tried to reproduce it and seem to be having the same issue (two VLANs with Plex being the only port open from the client VLAN to the server) and saw the same results from my Android phone, but I wasn't able to test with a web client to see if there is a difference there as well.

I'll see what else I can find out after doing some more tests.

Just to update - I upgraded to media server 1.4.3 and the issue is still present.

• landtlandt Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just switched from a local LAN to Remote server and now I also have this issue on the latest PMS version. 0 clients reported by the Server, whether I'm using iOS or tvOS.

This is important as my HomeAssistant automations refuse to work while this is a problem.

Server 1.7.5.4035 and latest iOS app - issue is still there.