Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku Ultra Audio Sync Issues

bloodlust01bloodlust01 Posts: 29Members ✭✭

Searching the forums has not given an answer that works. I purchased a Roku Ultra a few months ago and the audio of anything played threw Plex is like a roller coaster up and down in regards to sync. I have tried direct play and disabling it and also forcing the PMS to transcode the file which seems to be better then direct play but still will have audio issues. We have Netflix, Hulu and Sony Vue on the Roku Ultra all which work just fine and have not detected any audio sync issues. This would lead me back to something is wrong with the Plex app in regards to the Roku Ultra.

I use a older high end Sony receiver which is connected form the Roku Ultra via optical cable as HDMI inputs are not on my receiver due to age. Any suggestions or a work around that actually works would be GREATLY appreciated. Plex has become annoying and useless on this thing. :-(

Best Answers

Answers

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 3,612Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Before getting too deeply involved in troubleshooting this it "might" be related to problems that have been reported with the 7.2 version of the Roku firmware. Roku has, sort of, released 7.5 for the Ultras and many people say it fixes their sync problems. I have never had any sync problems on my Ultra so I cannot say for sure.

Right now the upgrade to 7.5 is not happening automatically so you have to go into your settings on the Roku and check for update.

Also if the Roku is left idle the upgrade downgrades back to 7.2 and has to be upgraded again to use 7.5.

I have no idea what Roku is actually doing with the upgrade as they first released it and then pulled it and now we are in a yo-yo situation. I "think" they have just failed to correctly an upgrade flag or some such and the upgrade problem will be fixed Monday or Tuesday.

• bloodlust01bloodlust01 Posts: 29Members ✭✭

I was not aware of that. I'll try the update manually and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

• boblinthewildboblinthewild Posts: 86Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is a very long thread on the Roku forums (https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91794&start=105) about audio sync problems starting with the Roku 4 and continuing with the new series (Premier, +, Ultra). Some people reported issues with Plex as the source, while many said the problem happens with other sources, too (e.g., Netflix and Amazon). I was one of the folks who had problems with Plex and with Amazon, and I returned my Roku Premier+ because of it.

I don't remember what version of the Roku firmware I was using, but it was the latest as of mid-Dec. It would be nice if v7.5 fixes the problem, but I saw no reports on the Roku forums about v7.5 helping.

• bartahome4927bartahome4927 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 9

Have a pair of TCL TV sets, which are the Roku TV's. My experience is actually somewhat reversed. I was dealing with weird audio sync issues from recorded programming that I couldn't narrow down last year beyond a certain family of networks having the problem. Which were fixed when Plex implemented their own player for Roku rather than using Roku's stock video player.

Only I've now had one of those TV's update to v7.5 and the audio sync problem is back, when or if you can get the video to play at all. All of the files that had playback issues a year ago are having problems again now. As well as most new recordings from that same family of networks.

Although this time we think we've narrowed down the cause of the problem I'm seeing. It seems the only programming which is having difficulty with audio sync(or getting playback at all) are all 59.94 FPS video streams recorded at 720p.

Last time changing the encoding(mpeg2 to h264) with Handbrake would fix the issue. This time, it seems the encoding doesn't matter as files that were fixed with Handbrake that time around are broken now.

It should be noted that a Plex "Optimized Transcode" seems to fix the playback and audio sync issue, but it seems to do so by dropping the frame rate to 30 FPS. I'd be curious to see if other people are seeing this problem crop up with regards to specific frame rates or resolutions, and if they manage to find any exceptions to that experience.

Edit: It seems after checking on the Roku Dev site, h264 only "officially" supports "23.976 fps or 29.97 fps" while HEVC claims "up to 60FPS" so the Roku Ultra shouldn't be having a FPS issue in theory.

• HRSCRHRSCR Posts: 246Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bartahome4927 said:
    Have a pair of TCL TV sets, which are the Roku TV's. My experience is actually somewhat reversed. I was dealing with weird audio sync issues from recorded programming that I couldn't narrow down last year beyond a certain family of networks having the problem. Which were fixed when Plex implemented their own player for Roku rather than using Roku's stock video player.

Only I've now had one of those TV's update to v7.5 and the audio sync problem is back, when or if you can get the video to play at all. All of the files that had playback issues a year ago are having problems again now. As well as most new recordings from that same family of networks.

Although this time we think we've narrowed down the cause of the problem I'm seeing. It seems the only programming which is having difficulty with audio sync(or getting playback at all) are all 59.94 FPS video streams recorded at 720p.

Last time changing the encoding(mpeg2 to h264) with Handbrake would fix the issue. This time, it seems the encoding doesn't matter as files that were fixed with Handbrake that time around are broken now.

It should be noted that a Plex "Optimized Transcode" seems to fix the playback and audio sync issue, but it seems to do so by dropping the frame rate to 30 FPS. I'd be curious to see if other people are seeing this problem crop up with regards to specific frame rates or resolutions, and if they manage to find any exceptions to that experience.

Edit: It seems after checking on the Roku Dev site, h264 only "officially" supports "23.976 fps or 29.97 fps" while HEVC claims "up to 60FPS" so the Roku Ultra shouldn't be having a FPS issue in theory.

The problem you have is same problem to everyone. The Roku update to 7.5 is rolling back. Seems a big BUG in OS

Check it out:
    https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=548557

• bartahome4927bartahome4927 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The TCL TV I have isn't part of that rollback as per that post. :(

But as it stands, rollback or not, Roku only "officially supports" up to 29.97 FPS video streams in h264. If you want 60 FPS (or 59.94 FPS) you need to be viewing in h265 (HEVC), which probably isn't the case with many/most upstream providers, particularly if the source is 1080 or 720 video.

So if you get that high frame-rate video to play, you'll likely see the audio play back at "normal speed," while the video plays back at/near 30 FPS(well below the frame rate it should be playing at). Which would give you audio that runs off well ahead of the video, even though you're not hearing anything weird, such as the chipmunks. It does make for one heck of a demonstration of bad a/v sync all the same.

• bloodlust01bloodlust01 Posts: 29Members ✭✭

My issues seem to lie directly with Plex app. We use Netflix and Hulu and we have not seen any sync issues. If I set the Plex app to "force transcode" on the roku it does seem to help, But not totally. If we direct play, The whole media piece is whacked.

@ljunkie said:
    I can confirm that 7.5.1 on the new models (Premiere/Premiere+/Ultra) have an audio sync issue with DTS. I have file an issue with Roku a couple weeks ago, but haven't heard anything yet. It did not affect the 7.2.2 firmware, but it looks as though they have released 7.5.1 again for everyone if you manually update. The only workaround for now, and it's not a good one, is to disable DTS in the Roku audio settings. I'll update this thread when I have any more info to share.

I can confirm this isue but I have more info for you.

Audio sync yes, but happens with AC3 audio too,

There is not a problem with Plex only, it is in the Native Roku Player too.

My situation in this moment like all users with Premiere/Premiere+/Ultra, is turn off the Roku and follow your updates and use the device when the situation is fixed.

BTW, is not and audio sync problem, is a VIDEO sync problem, if you pay attention in all files if you have subtitles in srt format they keep the same sync of the audio, but the video comes faster that the audio when is loaded to play, and yes, maybe codec problems, in fact at the moment to play always the video comes cut, it never start at the moment is comming without around 2-3 seconds cut.

I can confirm that I don't have this issue in any other devices that I use to play my personal library (LG TV, AppleTV4 for example)

We still need the feature of passthought the audio in any flavor to our A/V to enjoy the movies like need to be.

The problem now is huge! Because happends not only in 4K content, happend in any size or definition, even SD files at 480p.

My bad was bought an item that.
    1- For stupid company policies the APP is not available in all countries. I can download the app which is part of the devices features because I am outside of USA.

2- Audio problems all the time and lost support for 7.1 Audio support for 5.1 only in a 2017 device with 4K support, really?

3- Terrible customer service. Almost a month and the problem still there....

• johnny15johnny15 Posts: 264Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm seeing audio sync issues on my Roku Premier+ with my PlexDVR content. I believe my Premier+ is still on 7.2...I haven't seen the 7.5 OS upgrade yet. If I switch to 2.0 channel audio, it's fine. The 5.1 audio is what ends up out of sync.

• david.keller@mndc.comdavid.keller@mndc.com Posts: 10Members ✭✭

I am having audio sync problem on my Ultra with DTS streams on 7.5.1 version. Rolled back to 7.2.2 and audio back in sync. Hope it get fixed soon, before Roku disables downgrades to 7.2.2.

• sshuda0622sshuda0622 Posts: 1Members

I am having similar problems with my ROKU Ultra running 7.5.1 build 4095-29 firmware. I believe the audio sync problem is specific to ROKU. I spent 2 hrs chatting with them today to try to resolve the issue. First, when using ROKU Media Player (RMP), MKV files are not recognized if trying to stream from a DNLA media server directly to the ROKU. Second, if you connect to the USB port on the ROKU, you can see and play MKV files. However, the audio does not sync with the video. In my case, the audio plays in advance of the audio. This is not the case when playing MP4 files. Everything seems to play properly.

The problem I have with PLEX is when using the PLEX app on ROKU. It just will not pass anything but Dolby Digital audio streams to my receiver. The only thing I get is plain Jane Dolby Digital. When you go into the setup for the playing the video, it recognizes the correct audio stream (i.e. DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-MA, Dolby True-HD or Dolby Atmos), but it will only pass Dobly Digital. Not very useful when you have a 7.2 system with Dolby Atmos speakers.

Anyone have similar problems? If so, have you been able to find a solution?

I find something that maybe help and works for me (patch)

When the movie is playing out of sync I push the up buttom, the movie pause, then the ok button. I do this 3 times and this fix the sync problem, yesterday I use this with 4 movies and solve the problem.

Of course it is a issue and 7.1 HD aundio is in the to do list of Roku, is not available yet only 5.1

• WknThDgWknThDg Posts: 2Members

@HRSCR said:
    I find something that maybe help and works for me (patch)

When the movie is playing out of sync I push the up buttom, the movie pause, then the ok button. I do this 3 times and this fix the sync problem, yesterday I use this with 4 movies and solve the problem.

Of course it is a issue and 7.1 HD aundio is in the to do list of Roku, is not available yet only 5.1

Nice find!
    I found that just pressing the Play/Pause button 6x works for me.
    When using this w/Plex and videos that have DTS audio, the video advances so it syncs with the audio & subs perfectly.

• sshuda0622sshuda0622 Posts: 1Members

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to return the Ultra. Without support for DTS HD audio formats, the unit is of no value to me and I don't want to wait for ROKU to "maybe" incorporate support. I am looking at a Zidoo X9S. It looks like it has all the 4K HDR+ video support including H.265 HEVC as well as support for DTS-HD audio. And the price looks reasonable as well.

Check it out: http://www.zidoo.tv/Product/index/model/X9S/target/rRwtRFydZ4xKKmVViAFMcQ==.html

Best of luck.

• david.keller@mndc.comdavid.keller@mndc.com Posts: 10Members ✭✭

@sshuda0622 said:
    Thanks for the feedback. I decided to return the Ultra. Without support for DTS HD audio formats, the unit is of no value to me and I don't want to wait for ROKU to "maybe" incorporate support. I am looking at a Zidoo X9S. It looks like it has all the 4K HDR+ video support including H.265 HEVC as well as support for DTS-HD audio. And the price looks reasonable as well.

Check it out: http://www.zidoo.tv/Product/index/model/X9S/target/rRwtRFydZ4xKKmVViAFMcQ==.html

Best of luck.

For this price, I would go with new Shield. Seriously considering of doing that myself.

edited January 16

The best option right now is Nvidia Shield, I'm looking in many forum, reviews, etc. Nvidia always wins at the end of the day.

• charlie2alphacharlie2alpha Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@HRSCR said:
    The best option right now is Nvidia Shield, I'm looking in many forum, reviews, etc. Nvidia always wins at the end of the day.

Funny, I was going to post the exact same thing. From Roku 4 and onward Roku can't seem to get their act together, lots of HDMI/HDCP issues, 4K/HDR issues and audio sync problems. At the same time Nvidia is solidifying its position in the high end part of the market, for the mid/lower segments they do not have a competitive product at the moment.

• scottrusscottrus Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Glad to find this thread. I recently purchased a bunch of new gear including a Roku 4 Ultra. I'm seeing the same audio sync issues with Plex on some content. So far I haven't seen any other sync issues with Netflix or HBO. It seems to be that 7.5.1 doesn't fix the issue?

• scottrusscottrus Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Confirmed I am running 7.5.1 and that only DTS encoded audio tracks had an issue. Work around for me was to go into the Roku Ultra Audio settings and limit the Roku to DD, DD+ output only. DTS audio now gets output as DD/DD+ instead. No more audio sync problems on 7.5.1 now.

@scottrus said:
    Glad to find this thread. I recently purchased a bunch of new gear including a Roku 4 Ultra. I'm seeing the same audio sync issues with Plex on some content. So far I haven't seen any other sync issues with Netflix or HBO. It seems to be that 7.5.1 doesn't fix the issue?