Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Where are the PMS logs on Windows?

mfeingolmfeingol Director of EngineeringPosts: 5,057Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
edited February 2014 in Windows
In case we ask you for a log file...

To find the PMS logs on Windows... Type the following text into an Explorer window or into the Start\Run textbox.

On Windows XP, Server 2003 and Home Server:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Plex Media Server\Logs

On Windows Vista, Server 2008, 7 and Server 2008 R2:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Logs

See https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201643703 for more information.

Comments

• JillHenJillHen Posts: 3Members
    mfeingol wrote:

Thanx for your useful sharing, I found my logs. :)
  • speed231speed231 Posts: 3Members
    mfeingol wrote:

I've installed "Plex-Media-Server-0.9.703.317-d4217ec-en-US" but there is no folder by this name in my "...\AppData\Local" folder?

I can see the "Plex Media Server" process in task manager but there is no icon in the systray either :(

Have rebooted, uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times.

Any ideas?
  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    speed231 wrote:

I've installed "Plex-Media-Server-0.9.703.317-d4217ec-en-US" but there is no folder by this name in my "...\AppData\Local" folder?

I can see the "Plex Media Server" process in task manager but there is no icon in the systray either :(

Have rebooted, uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times.

Any ideas?

Jump into your Explorer options and tell it to show "system and hidden files and folders"
  • XenorXenor Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass

I thought this might be a useful place to ask this question, but if you'd rather I post it as a new question please let me know and delete this reply.

I have noticed that the folders for Plex & PMS Plugin log files on my WHS 2011 server have gotten quite large. In fact they consume almost 20GB of data at this point, nearly 1/3 of the total space of the volume (I'm running it in Windows 8 Hyper VM).

I was able to find a few obvious files to delete (i.e. .old), but I was hoping that I could perhaps delete more files in the %AppData% directory to free up space on the server.

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but I did try a few searches and came up empty.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 24,797Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    MR Michael wrote on February 6 2014, 12:38 AM: »

I thought this might be a useful place to ask this question, but if you'd rather I post it as a new question please let me know and delete this reply.

I have noticed that the folders for Plex & PMS Plugin log files on my WHS 2011 server have gotten quite large. In fact they consume almost 20GB of data at this point, nearly 1/3 of the total space of the volume (I'm running it in Windows 8 Hyper VM).

I was able to find a few obvious files to delete (i.e. .old), but I was hoping that I could perhaps delete more files in the %AppData% directory to free up space on the server.

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but I did try a few searches and came up empty.

There is only one log file that can run away into loads of megabytes and gigabytes and that is the DLNA Neptune Server log file. You can switch off DLNA Neptune logging in Advanced Settings for DLNA

See 

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/81832-pms-0986-does-dlna-neptune-log-file-get-switched/

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/97318-42gb-plex-dlna-server-neptunelog-file/

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/72962-plex-dnla-server-neptune-logs-and-excessive-size/

• larraylarray Posts: 85Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ok.. I'm "perplexed" :)

I'm running Plex Media Server 0.9.9.8.436-8abe5c0, but I've run multiple versions over a fairly significant time on this server.  (Server 2008 R2)

Looking in %LOCALAPPDATA% I dont have \Plex Media Server\Logs

(%LOCALAPPDATA% resolves to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local)

Looking in my console I have the following checked:

Plex Media Server debug logging

Plex Media Server verbose logging

I've even turned them off and back on saving changes in between.

Looking at the running processes on my server the "Plex Media Server.exe" process is running under my user account (and that account matches the %LOCALAPPDATA% path above)

I've even forced a full file search across all 3 drives for "Plex Media Server.log"  In fact I've looked for all the logs listed in Plex Logs

• Plex DLNA Server.log — log related to DLNA access of the Plex Media Server
    • Plex Media Server.log — log for the Plex Media Server
    • Plex Media Scanner.log — logged results of media scans

Where oh where have my logs gone, where could they be? :) 

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 24,797Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    larray wrote on April 3 2014, 3:24 PM: »

Ok.. I'm "perplexed" :)

I'm running Plex Media Server 0.9.9.8.436-8abe5c0, but I've run multiple versions over a fairly significant time on this server.  (Server 2008 R2)

Looking in %LOCALAPPDATA% I dont have \Plex Media Server\Logs

(%LOCALAPPDATA% resolves to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local)

Looking in my console I have the following checked:

Plex Media Server debug logging

Plex Media Server verbose logging

I've even turned them off and back on saving changes in between.

Looking at the running processes on my server the "Plex Media Server.exe" process is running under my user account (and that account matches the %LOCALAPPDATA% path above)

I've even forced a full file search across all 3 drives for "Plex Media Server.log"  In fact I've looked for all the logs listed in Plex Logs

• Plex DLNA Server.log — log related to DLNA access of the Plex Media Server
    • Plex Media Server.log — log for the Plex Media Server
    • Plex Media Scanner.log — logged results of media scans

Where oh where have my logs gone, where could they be? :)

You probably changed the path

Load Plex Media Server Media Manager and go to settings page

http://localhost:32400/web/index.html#!/settings

Click on Plex Media Server General Settings

Click on Show Advanced Settings

and see what it says for 

The path where local application data is stored

I did.

And there they are!

How odd that a search of the local file systems could not locate them.

I recall now I moved it because finding it in %LOCALAPPDATA% was too much of a pain in the @#! :)

Thank you!

larray wrote on April 3 2014, 5:24 PM: »

I did.

And there they are!

How odd that a search of the local file systems could not locate them.

I recall now I moved it because finding it in %LOCALAPPDATA% was too much of a pain in the @#! :)

Thank you!

i stopped using windows search because of the way they changed it. No more positive search where you know NONE means NONE

I am using now the free tool 'Super Finder XT..'

I wish i knew about it before. In frustration i searched for a solution and stumbled on this tool a couple of months ago

Thanks - I will have to give that one a shot! I was trying FileSeek but it was looking inside files and not getting exact hits.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  • Hobbes2099Hobbes2099 Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been having some trouble with my PMS this afternoon and started looking for the log files. Thanks to this thread, I was able to find them
    C:\Users\Hobbes\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs for Windows 10, in case anyone is wondering.

Here's my question; all files show that they were last modified on 2015.
    Any idea what's going on? Why are log files not being updated? Is this an old installation and the actual log files are somewhere else on my HDD?

@Hobbes2099 said:
    I've been having some trouble with my PMS this afternoon and started looking for the log files. Thanks to this thread, I was able to find them
    C:\Users\Hobbes\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs for Windows 10, in case anyone is wondering.

Here's my question; all files show that they were last modified on 2015.
    Any idea what's going on? Why are log files not being updated? Is this an old installation and the actual log files are somewhere else on my HDD?

This is probably because you changed the default local data path for Plex Media Server.
    If you are able to load Plex Web and see your library in a browser - you can select the Settings button and then Server button and then General and click on Show Advanced- you can see the setting for the path of where the Plex Media Server app data is and the Logs folder would be under that

Linking to the general support page on log files
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files