Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex server instantly crashing.

tikkitotikkito Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass
edited January 30 in Windows

As soon as I open plex server it crashes and dumps two logs. The icon stays in my taskbar until i mouse over it, then it disappears.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607, OS Build 14393.726

Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.276 [8296] INFO - Plex Media Server v1.3.3.3148-b38628e - Microsoft PC x64 - build: windows-i386 english - GMT -05:00
Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.276 [8296] INFO - Windows version: 10.0 (Build 14393), language en-US
Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.276 [8296] INFO - 4 3500 MHz processor(s): Architecture=0, Level=6, Revision=15363 Processor Identifier=Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel
Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.276 [8296] DEBUG - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Server.exe" 
Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.276 [2576] DEBUG - Plex for Windows Store application is not installed
Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.276 [2576] DEBUG - BPQ: [Idle] -> [Starting]
Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.276 [2576] DEBUG - Opening 20 database sessions to library (com.plexapp.plugins.library), SQLite 3.13.0, threadsafe=1
Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.276 [2576] INFO - SQLITE3:4DF48348, 283, recovered 104 frames from WAL file C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-in Support\Databases\com.plexapp.plugins.library.db-wal
Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.291 [2576] DEBUG - Running migrations.
Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.291 [2576] DEBUG - ChangestampAllocator: initialized to 1268264
Jan 28, 2017 17:17:22.385 [10252] DEBUG - Job running: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\CrashUploader.exe "--directory=C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Crash Reports\1.3.3.3148-b38628e" --version=1.3.3.3148-b38628e "--platform=windows-i386 (10.0 (Build 14393))" --serverUuid=1bca13a2684e31acf47b0d237d40b22f87bfd1fe --userId=xxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com --url=https://crashreport.plexapp.com 

Answers

  • kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,274 Plex Pass

    Where are my log files?

    How do I properly name my media files?

    NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

    Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

  • SdoppelSdoppel Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

    The developers are blaming a recent Windows Update for it.
    If you're not using multi-monitor, you can uninstall update KB3216755 for now.

    Don't consider this a permanent solution because Win10 Updates are usually very important in the long run.

  • kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,274 Plex Pass

    @Sdoppel said:
    The developers are blaming a recent Windows Update for it.
    If you're not using multi-monitor, you can uninstall update KB3216755 for now.

    Don't consider this a permanent solution because Win10 Updates are usually very important in the long run.

    He hasn't mentioned anything about the problem yet. I understand you are angry that the latest Windows update causes conflicts with Plex, but injecting that into every thread is not helpful in diagnosing the problem.

    Where are my log files?

    How do I properly name my media files?

    NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

    Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

  • sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 28,112 Plex Team Member

    @tikkito The last crash on server id 1bca13a2684e31acf47b0d237d40b22f87bfd1fe is caused by the windows issue - that was reported here https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/41309cf3-2ca5-4b75-9d3f-3cc9ebba8ac0/windows-media-foundation-bug-dmp-analysisdmp?forum=mediafoundationdevelopment

    @Sdoppel

    The developers are blaming a recent Windows Update for it.

    Are you saying that windows OS would not have any bugs introduced by the patches that get released?

    The investigation into the crash dumps indicate that they are caused by bugs in the windows code. If there is a way round that, I am sure it will be looked into by the plex development team

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows
     
  • SdoppelSdoppel Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

    @kegobeer-plex said:

    @Sdoppel said:
    The developers are blaming a recent Windows Update for it.
    If you're not using multi-monitor, you can uninstall update KB3216755 for now.

    Don't consider this a permanent solution because Win10 Updates are usually very important in the long run.

    He hasn't mentioned anything about the problem yet. I understand you are angry that the latest Windows update causes conflicts with Plex, but injecting that into every thread is not helpful in diagnosing the problem.

    Honestly, the dump is similar to one of our machines so based on my limited knowledge and the same symptom tikkito is experiencing, it must have stemmed from the Windows Update bug. I told him what the problem is, where it is from and how he could temporarily fix it, and the stance of the developers.

    How is it not helpful?
    For the sake of the developers I have excluded possible other solutions that the user could achieve better stability from. Maybe I should have? Would you, then, consider that helpful?

    @sa2000 said:
    @tikkito The last crash on server id 1bca13a2684e31acf47b0d237d40b22f87bfd1fe is caused by the windows issue - that was reported here https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/41309cf3-2ca5-4b75-9d3f-3cc9ebba8ac0/windows-media-foundation-bug-dmp-analysisdmp?forum=mediafoundationdevelopment

    @Sdoppel

    The developers are blaming a recent Windows Update for it.

    Are you saying that windows OS would not have any bugs introduced by the patches that get released?

    The investigation into the crash dumps indicate that they are caused by bugs in the windows code. If there is a way round that, I am sure it will be looked into by the plex development team

    After your product started having this issue, my team tried other solutions of which none of them had this problem. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you some names. I'm not suggesting that all media server apps should work the same way, but when this is the only product having problems after the said update among the competitors, maybe the way it's coded isn't the best. Who knows.

    And no, I did not say that. Where did I say Windows OS would not have any bugs introduced by updates? Who would even claim that? Point me where I said that or implied that here. Please.
    We all used many applications in the past, and never have I ever heard of a commercial application that would entirely halt before even running because of an update within the same version of Windows, and let the issue be practically dismissed by the developer. Maybe I've only used reliable software. Maybe I should not have expected stability from Plex.

    I'm sorry your engineers could not find a way around.
    I'm just stating facts here without siding anyone.

  • kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,274 Plex Pass

    @Sdoppel said:
    I'm sorry your engineers could not find a way around.
    I'm just stating facts here without siding anyone.

    It worked before the update, and now it doesn't work. You speak as if the developers had advance knowledge of what Microsoft was working on and went ahead and wrote their code anyway. And the idea that Plex developers have "practically dismissed" the issue is ludicrous. I'm sure you haven't seen a single developer comment on the issue (because developers rarely post on this forum), and the Plex team member that has commented on it already stated the team will look into it.

    Unless your team found software that accesses exactly the same memory registers and interfaces exactly the same way with the OS, comparing them is of no value.

    I'm also just stating facts and not siding with anyone. In my experience Plex is hardly the first piece of software that has had issues with Microsoft updates. But like those other examples, I'm positive the developers will develop a fix for it.

    It does seem to me that you've already passed judgement on Plex.

    Where are my log files?

    How do I properly name my media files?

    NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

    Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

  • sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 28,112 Plex Team Member

    Sorry - you did not say it but implied that this could not be a windows bug.
    The developers will be looking into ways to get round the problem - which appears to be relating to the Media Foundation API,

    I am going to PM a number of you zipped exe that will try out the API and see what we get.
    And also will need to know if the Windows DVD Player App is installed

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows
     
  • SdoppelSdoppel Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

    @kegobeer-plex said:

    @Sdoppel said:
    I'm sorry your engineers could not find a way around.
    I'm just stating facts here without siding anyone.

    It worked before the update, and now it doesn't work. You speak as if the developers had advance knowledge of what Microsoft was working on and went ahead and wrote their code anyway. And the idea that Plex developers have "practically dismissed" the issue is ludicrous. I'm sure you haven't seen a single developer comment on the issue (because developers rarely post on this forum), and the Plex team member that has commented on it already stated the team will look into it.

    Unless your team found software that accesses exactly the same memory registers and interfaces exactly the same way with the OS, comparing them is of no value.

    I'm also just stating facts and not siding with anyone. In my experience Plex is hardly the first piece of software that has had issues with Microsoft updates. But like those other examples, I'm positive the developers will develop a fix for it.

    It does seem to me that you've already passed judgement on Plex.

    Check again. I already read three separate threads before submitting my first post. Where this issue was mentioned, all of them were responded by a Plex team member who delivered what the developers said and clearly it was well implied that it was "out of their hand". Look again what they said when pointing to the reported thread on the Windows forum. Your certainty was wrong and you just assumed that I didn't read them. This is not a fact. It's an assumption.

    And no, you're not just stating facts because you said my topic wasn't helpful prior to your claim. That was an opinion.

    You claim that you want to be objective when all you did was give people your assumptions and opinions claimed as facts. My post was very clear on explaining the origin of the issue, and how they could temporarily avoid it.

    I get it, you like Plex and you paid for it. I mean, your name has "plex" in it. I'm sorry if my tone sounded like I was trying to make your purchase seem less validated. We like Plex too which is why I still bother to stay in the forums. I have no vile intention. If I did, I would have reached the users with the issue to switch to specific solutions, and let the problem be without suggesting a temporary workaround.

    @sa2000 said:
    Sorry - you did not say it but implied that this could not be a windows bug.
    The developers will be looking into ways to get round the problem - which appears to be relating to the Media Foundation API,

    I am going to PM a number of you zipped exe that will try out the API and see what we get.
    And also will need to know if the Windows DVD Player App is installed

    I've received your PM. I"ll get on it, but allow me to take some time. All of our servers are already running on production mode with different solutions so it might take some time to reroute clients to make one of them available for testing.

  • sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 28,112 Plex Team Member
    edited January 29

    @Sdoppel said:
    I've received your PM. I"ll get on it, but allow me to take some time. All of our servers are already running on production mode with different solutions so it might take some time to reroute clients to make one of them available for testing.

    Thanks

    Have one feedback so far that the test app using the Media Foundation API AreDvDCodecsEnabled crashed

    Would like to establish if the issue arises when the Windows DVD Player for Windows 10 is installed and the KB

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows
     
  • SdoppelSdoppel Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

    @sa2000 said:

    @Sdoppel said:
    I've received your PM. I"ll get on it, but allow me to take some time. All of our servers are already running on production mode with different solutions so it might take some time to reroute clients to make one of them available for testing.

    Thanks

    Have one feedback so far that the test app using the Media Foundation API AreDvDCodecsEnabled crashed

    Would like to establish if the issue arises when the Windows DVD Player for Windows 10 is installed and the KB

    My peer ran the file on his own personal setup (he also has the update installed and the machine is under the same network), and it returned blank results. Command Prompt was launched through Administrator privileges. The machine appears to also have Windows DVD Player installed. Everybody claims no one even launched it once, though.

  • sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 28,112 Plex Team Member

    Thanks

    Feedback so far from the other users is that test app which runs the API AreDVDCodecsEnabled crashes with KB3216755

    In all cases so far the Windows DVD Player app was installed

    It should display text with.a result code - if not then probably crashed

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows
     
  • tmorgan4tmorgan4 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

    @sa2000 said:
    Thanks

    Feedback so far from the other users is that test app which runs the API AreDVDCodecsEnabled crashes with KB3216755

    In all cases so far the Windows DVD Player app was installed

    It should display text with.a result code - if not then probably crashed

    I uninstalled Windows DVD player to no success. I also found I couldn't install it as I only had it free as I upgraded from Windows 8.1 w/ Media Centre. So I suggest people don't remove it as it doesn't help.

    I then decided to use System Restore to roll back from the 14393.726 (KB3216755) update and disabled Insider Previews and Plex is working again. I also got my free DVD player back.

  • tikkitotikkito Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

    Just wanted to let everyone know that uninstalling that windows update fixed it for me. Now I have to find a way to block that update

  • sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 28,112 Plex Team Member

    Plex Media Server 1.4.1 is now available which has a change that avoids the crashes in the faulty windows DLL CompPkgSup.dll that a lot of users encountered after installing windows update Cumulative Patch KB3216755

    Version 1.4.1 is initially being made available to Plex Pass users.

    The Release Notice is available here
    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1370306/#Comment_1370306

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows
     
  • brianwescombebrianwescombe Members Posts: 2

    Public release update 14393.953 also has problems with this dll file

Sign In or Register to comment.