Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex freezing / buffering on Samsung 2016 (KS8000 series)

All,
Recently, the Plex App has started to freeze / buffer a whole lot - making things unwatchable. Nothing has changed on the network side. Any thoughts?

Direct playing everything to the Samsung TV KS8000.

Plex App: 3.0.6
Tizen: 2.4
TV Firmware: 1162
PMS: 1.3.3.3148

Answers

• jverdoornjverdoorn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I changed the quality on the Plex APP on the TV down to 20mbps. I assume this starts transcoding and removed buffering while watching a large movie file. Not sure why the APP/TV will not play direct play with out causing buffering.

• cordo79cordo79 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

So many weeks after i have stuttering or buffering during movies only if i have an active subtitle.
    when i disable it it runs ok 4k and other.

With subtitle i have also buffering on 1080p. but not very often. 4k video buffering every 4 seconds.

• LesferatuLesferatu Members, Plex Pass Posts: 15 Plex Pass

I mentioned this issue before in other topics, but i got no feedback from the devs :(

I presume that the buffering comes from direct streaming. Whenever you enable subtites, the mode switches from direct play to direct stream. When i attempt to direct play a 4k video with a decent bitrate, the network throughput reaches ~20-25mbit/s. However, if i enable subtitles, the video gets direct streamed and the throughput drops to ~5mbit/s, which is not sufficient.

The CPU usage on my PMS host is about 10% when direct streaming, so i have no clue where this bottleneck comes from.

My Setup:
    Samsung KS7090 (2016 Model)
    PMS: 1.5.5 on a Mac Mini
    Network: Wired