Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sonos app Plex service unable to contact the Plex Media Server

haywoodmahaywoodma Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The message says Sonos app Plex service unable to contact the Plex Media Server. Please check your server settings at https://plex.tv and make sure that Remote Access is enabled.
When I go to the above web address and sign in, I don't see any option in settings on the web site to enable Remote Access.

However, on my local Plex server, remote Accress is enabled, firewall settings are correct, and port forwarding on my router is setup correctly.

I can connect remotely to my plex server from the plex app. I cannot connect to my plex server from the plex service within the Sonos app. I have authorized the Plex Account within the Sonos app.

What am I missing?

Tagged:

Answers

• nikcoultasnikcoultas Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

did you ever solve this one ?

• paganomt@gmail.compaganomt@gmail.com Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not that I have seen. I have the same issue. Does plex support answer or is this a user only forum?

• mariagwynmariagwyn Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have remote access successfully set up (and am using it right now from work). However, the Sonos app can read my library text file but cannot play the song, saying each time, "Unable to reach the Plex server." I spent quite a while on the phone with Sonos, and all they can see is repeated timeouts. I would really like to see this app fixed as I like to manage my music via Plex rather than Sonos.

• richo__86richo__86 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mariagwyn said:
    However, the Sonos app can read my library text file but cannot play the song, saying each time, "Unable to reach the Plex server." I spent quite a while on the phone with Sonos, and all they can see is repeated timeouts. I would really like to see this app fixed as I like to manage my music via Plex rather than Sonos.

I'm a bit saddened by how this connectivity issue is being ignored by Plex. This issue needs to either be addressed or the project itself formally abandoned.

It doesn't reflect well on such a great product and team, overall, to be pushing forward on new projects like Plex DVR Live, at the expense of the half-finished.

• rfkavanaghrfkavanagh Posts: 3Members ✭✭

While I'm not happy it's happening, I'm at least glad to see that this isn't just happening to me. It's been driving me crazy. I've only just jumped on board with Plex (on a Synology NAS), and so far it's been incredibly frustrating and caused me no end of problems. This lack of successful integration with Sonos is another big issue since it's one of the reasons I decided to go with Plex in the first place. I know it's in Beta, but some response would be nice.

• EynesburyGiantEynesburyGiant Posts: 1Members Plex Pass

From within my SONOS app I can see services such as Radio by tunein, Deezer, Spotify and PLEX (Plex server).
    Further down the list I can see Windows Media (Home Server). I can browse the folders on my server and play music from it successfully to the Sonos Play 5. If however I try this through the PLEX link it is unable to play anything and states unable to connect to PLEX. Remote access is enabled and I can play via PLEX to both a video and audio Chromecast to the TV and soundbar and Sonos line in.
    The problem definitely appears to be with PLEX.

• yarascavitchyarascavitch Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not sure if I read this somewhere or I'm imaging it, but have you tried turning off your DLNA server within Plex?
    I have been using Plex with Sonos for quite some time and have very rarely had issues with connectivity.
    Go to Plex Settings --> DLNA and remove the checkbox under "Enable the DLNA server" and give it a try again (maybe after restarting your Plex server for good measure.
    If still no luck, make sure that DNS Rebinding isn't a problem for you (see the bottom of this post.
    Good luck!

• chinchino88chinchino88 Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@yarascavitch said:
    Not sure if I read this somewhere or I'm imaging it, but have you tried turning off your DLNA server within Plex?
    I have been using Plex with Sonos for quite some time and have very rarely had issues with connectivity.
    Go to Plex Settings --> DLNA and remove the checkbox under "Enable the DLNA server" and give it a try again (maybe after restarting your Plex server for good measure.
    If still no luck, make sure that DNS Rebinding isn't a problem for you (see the bottom of this post.
    Good luck!

turning off the dlna server should have no effect on this. i should be able to stream via dlna to my oppo player and use my sonos system. it would be dumb to have to go into plex each time and enable dlna to stream through the oppo player.

sadly plex is trying to do too much nowadays and they have ruined the simplicity and success they were having.

• abiduabidu Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have the exact same issues with sonos and plex. Extremely frustrating!

• realTIMematrixrealTIMematrix Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass

same for me. remote access in setting is all green, port forwarding active, within plex app it is working but not within the sonos app.

• bdkwokbdkwok Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sonos sees my media on plex, but when I play a file I'll get the message 'unable to connect to Plex' after a few seconds. Remote access enabled, works in plex via browser.

• SteelyglintSteelyglint Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Turned off DLNA in Plex and presto my Sonos can see and play my music

FYI. Using WD PR2100 connected to Virgin Superhub 3.0