If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Still no gapless playback?

I first discovered plex nearly a year ago. I love the GUI and use it most days for streaming TV and films. One thing that annoyed me was that I couldn't use it for music as it has no gapless playback. I listen to a lot of mixed albums so it's pretty essential to me. I was told at the time it was on the todo list.

I had the thought today to check back in and see if this basic feature is now included. Nope. It's been nearly a year and still no gapless playback. Come on PLEX!!!! What's going on?

Answers

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 9,757Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Gapless playback is not nearly as easy to add as you may think. You must remember that Plex is a server/client based system and as such it is quite difficult, but not impossible, to add gapless playback.

Unfortunately, no one knows what the position is on gapless playback, Plex do not inform us of any pending features or when they will be released.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • riskywhatriskywhat Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Surely it just involves pre-loading the next track before the one that is playing finishes? I haven't done any programming since I was at college (long time ago lol) but it doesn't seem like it's something that would be incredibly difficult to implement

• Dag.SDag.S Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I love using Plex for streaming music because of the "TV front end", but it is really, really annoying that they cannot implement gapless playback. Actually, gapless playback is the only thing Plex is missing to become the perfect streaming software in my (relatively) hi end music system.

Squeezebox, which is also a client/server based system, has had gapless playback for many years.
    Why not gapless playback on Plex?