Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Supported File formats/codecs

tig3rclawtig3rclaw Posts: 34Members
For MediaLink enabled Tvs
Hello

I was just thinking, that maybe someone from LG could help us out in finding an answer on this question:
- what are the supported movie formats for Media Link?

A lot of people are interested in Media Link, because it really adds something extra to the tv.
However does it support things like:
- MKV
- WMV
- AVI
- ISO
- WMVHD
- AVCHD
- VIDEO_TS folder structures
- BlueRay Folder structure
- TS
- M2TS
- MPEG (MPG)

A lot of movie lovers, would have movies in formats like ISO, VIDEO_TS, MKV.
Can he handle these kind of formats?

If not, could this be established with firmware updates, or is the hardware limited in its capabilities?

For myself these are some key things, because it could mean I have to keep a dedicated mediaplayer or not besides my tv.
And this could also be one of the reasons to buy this tv or not?
«134

Comments

  • seb62085seb62085 Posts: 63Members
    I have attached a list of media supported by Smart TVs.
  • lgtclgtc Posts: 474Members
    edited April 2011
    thanks, Scott

    A quick overview of the support list:

    File Extensions
    .divx
    .wmv
    .avi
    .mp4
    .mkv
    .ts

    Video Codecs
    H.264/AVC
    DivX 4/5/6
    VC-1
    XViD
    MPEG2
    MPEG1

    Audio Codecs
    MP3
    AAC
    DD
    PCM
    WMA


    In addition...

    It will play m2ts and vob. But, limited support of vob.

    I doubt we will ever support iso, bd, dvd structures on the TVs. There are technical issues, but i would think mainly because we make BD/DVD players. Could be some legal headaches involved with those also.
  • tig3rclawtig3rclaw Posts: 34Members
    thank you for your replies. This seems nice, but it also gives me the feeling that it is still limited in its capabilities.

    I can understand, that LG also tries to sell BD/DVD players, which is very logic.
    However people like me are looking for an all-in-one device, which will reduce the amount devices needed besides the tv.
    It would be a big selling point for me, because a 80% working PLEX and passive 3d is huge.
    But now it feels like a 45% working PLEX, where people are lucky if there movie plays.

    So besides that I was also sad, that there wasn't a proper USB recording on the LW6500 and LW5600, like the higher models have.
    Especially now because the higher models are postponed. A feature like this can not be added with a firmware update, correct?
  • seb62085seb62085 Posts: 63Members
    M.Koster wrote:

    So besides that I was also sad, that there wasn't a proper USB recording on the LW6500 and LW5600, like the higher models have.
    Especially now because the higher models are postponed. A feature like this can not be added with a firmware update, correct?

    what USB recording feature are you referring to? which higher models?
  • RockStarRockStar Posts: 2,027Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    any news regarding DTS?
  • seb62085seb62085 Posts: 63Members
    RockStar wrote:

    any news regarding DTS?

    nothing yet... :(
  • PlexLarsPlexLars Posts: 310Members ✭✭
    Scott - LG wrote:

    nothing yet... :(

    No DTS and no PGS support basically means you do not support BluRay, wich again means that I do not understand why I should purchase a MediaLink device.
  • krazzerkrazzer Posts: 22Members

    I doubt we will ever support iso, bd, dvd structures on the TVs. There are technical issues, but i would think mainly because we make BD/DVD players.


    The whole point i bought a new LG TV with SmartTV is because you lose the hassle of having an extra BD/DVD player or MediaCenter PC/Box...
    So this is very weird argument in my opinion.
  • tig3rclawtig3rclaw Posts: 34Members
    Scott - LG wrote:

    what USB recording feature are you referring to? which higher models?


    in Europe the high models where listed with USB recording to record the DVBC tuner.
    So people would be able to pause a tv channel or record it.
    (I know this has nothing to do with Media Link, but ok)

    This was for the nano models, but they are postponed now, which is logical, but also sad :(
    Is this a hardware thing or maybe something that can be enabled through a firmware update
  • tig3rclawtig3rclaw Posts: 34Members
    edited April 2011
    krazzer wrote:

    The whole point i bought a new LG TV with SmartTV is because you lose the hassle of having an extra BD/DVD player or MediaCenter PC/Box...
    So this is very weird argument in my opinion.


    I so agree to this.

    I find it hard to see the big advantage of this.
    Because now it only seems like a nice DNLA skin.

    So if I buy a tv from a competitive brand, which support DNLA, then it probably will support the same formats and perhaps even more.

    The big news last year was, when they announced plex and LG working together, that people wanted to believe they would have a FULL plex client on their tv.
    And with a server somewhere else in the house, then they would have exactly the same functionality they have now, with their separate MAC mini PLEX client.

    So I am really wondering what PLEX (through Media Link) is offering extra
  • seb62085seb62085 Posts: 63Members
    M.Koster wrote:

    in Europe the high models where listed with USB recording to record the DVBC tuner.
    So people would be able to pause a tv channel or record it.
    (I know this has nothing to do with Media Link, but ok)

    This was for the nano models, but they are postponed now, which is logical, but also sad :(
    Is this a hardware thing or maybe something that can be enabled through a firmware update

    no wonder... European models. Nick and I only support US models as we work for LG USA... for assistance with any European models you will need to contact LG in your country. Jealous of the feature though. its probably a hardware thing
  • tig3rclawtig3rclaw Posts: 34Members
    Ok Scot, but how would you compare the plex (media link) client with a normal DNLA client, which normally is present in a TV.

    I know Panasonic, Sony, Samsung all support DNLA, and I get the feeling that DNLA supports exactly the same formats for video codecs!
  • seb62085seb62085 Posts: 63Members
    M.Koster wrote:

    Ok Scot, but how would you compare the plex (media link) client with a normal DNLA client, which normally is present in a TV.

    I know Panasonic, Sony, Samsung all support DNLA, and I get the feeling that DNLA supports exactly the same formats for video codecs!

    its not that DLNA supports X codecs and MediaLink supports Y codecs... it has nothing to do with either, but depends on the playback device, in this case the TV.

    The major difference is that PLEX will give you the beautiful interface with all the metadata that its famous for, similar to what programs like XBMC will give you on a computer.

    the DLNA player will list files in a basic GUI, like any of the Panny, Sony and Samsung TVs. kind of like looking at a list of files (thumbnails as well) as one would in Windows.

    Again, the difference is the interface.
  • ac4ltac4lt Posts: 145Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Scott - LG wrote:

    its not that DLNA supports X codecs and MediaLink supports Y codecs... it has nothing to do with either, but depends on the playback device, in this case the TV.


    So, does the STU6000 support playback (in an mkv container) of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA? Also will it support PGS subtitles in mkv? The LG website is not particularly clear on this. Presumably media link and the dlna client use the same player so hopefully that can be used to gauge the playback capabilities for when media link arrives.
  • lgtclgtc Posts: 474Members
    edited May 2011
    M.Koster wrote:

    I so agree to this.

    I find it hard to see the big advantage of this.
    Because now it only seems like a nice DNLA skin.

    So if I buy a tv from a competitive brand, which support DNLA, then it probably will support the same formats and perhaps even more.

    The big news last year was, when they announced plex and LG working together, that people wanted to believe they would have a FULL plex client on their tv.
    And with a server somewhere else in the house, then they would have exactly the same functionality they have now, with their separate MAC mini PLEX client.

    So I am really wondering what PLEX (through Media Link) is offering extra



    Yes, that's exactly what it is. A nicer version of DLNA. That's what is extra.

    In the picture on the left is the DLNA player built into the TV...on the right is MediaLink.

    SmartTV_DLNAvMediaLink.jpg

    What codecs do the others play this doesn't? LMK and I'll look into it.

    I just don't see any chance our TVs will play cracked DVDs or BDs directly on the TV. You guys have more faith in Movie Industry lawyers than I do. We can't even output full res on component anymore.
  • blodsbrorblodsbror Posts: 140Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Apart from mixing down DTS to 2 channel stereo, is the plex server just pushing the movie untouched to the LG TV ?. Or is it possible to have movies transcoded on the fly ?.
    And was it correct that there was Fast Forward / Rewind issues with Plex on the LG TV's ? Or was that specific to a video\audio format. If so..unfortunately that is a deal breaker unfortunately.
  • JermsJerms Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass
    Is there any actual release date information on Media Link for the ST600? I cant seem to find anything other than Q2, or later this year. Does anyone have any kind of timeline on when this will be available, currently i am using my HDMI out from my Xoom Tablet to get it to my tv (LG w/no smart tv) =(
  • pmillpmill Posts: 157Members ✭✭
    blodsbror wrote:

    Apart from mixing down DTS to 2 channel stereo, is the plex server just pushing the movie untouched to the LG TV ?. Or is it possible to have movies transcoded on the fly ?.
    And was it correct that there was Fast Forward / Rewind issues with Plex on the LG TV's ? Or was that specific to a video\audio format. If so..unfortunately that is a deal breaker unfortunately.


    I inspected the temp data folder on the server while playing a movie on the tv and it looks to me that audio and video are both transcoded when downmixing DTS. I haven't found any files that I can ff/rew while playing in Media Link, but I just use the magic motion remote to skip where I want to go in the video. I was already used to having to do that with MKV's on Windows Media Center. But at least with WMC you can use the remote to skip forward and backwards by 15/30 second jumps. There's no button for that on the LG Remote.
  • shelleymshelleym Posts: 5Members
    I've got LG Smart with Plex through my MAC. Have added all of the video plug ins but none will play. National Geographic did once but now it gets the same message as the others
    "Cannot play the media"
    Oh so frustrating. Help please?
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 50Members ✭✭
    M.Koster wrote:

    So besides that I was also sad, that there wasn't a proper USB recording on the LW6500 and LW5600, like the higher models have.
    Especially now because the higher models are postponed. A feature like this can not be added with a firmware update, correct?


    I have a LW6500 and it has a feature (which I haven't tested) to record TV to a USB storage device
«134
Sign In or Register to comment.