If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Artifacts issues in all versions of plex server except Version 1.0.1.2366

LuthervanguardLuthervanguard Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Now this issue is for the pr4100 nas units from western digital and I have tried talking with them about it but after 3 new versions of plex and still no change I figured I better start looking somewhere else for help.
So the old default version (Version 1.0.1.2366 ) of the server is the only version I'm aware of that is able to play perfectly, Any newer version has terrible artifacts usually with movies and shows it's not as bad or as noticeable but when you have these anime shows that have a lot of color changes shifting threw a large scene the artifacts sort of explode and distort everything.
Please if you work for plex can you guys push this problem up to an engineer so we can finally get a solution to this problem, I don't even care if they go back to the old Version 1.0.1.2366 and just copy over that codec's to the latest version if it will fix this.

Best Answers

• LuthervanguardLuthervanguard Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 20 Accepted Answer

Just like aaplfan said by turning off Hardware Acceleration you can remove all the artifacts with the latest version of plex, How ever there is a down side and that is no more Hardware Transcoding so instead of 7 to 12% single core usage you are pushed into the 97% usage leaving you with a lot of buffering breaks and eventually a bad experince plus no longer being able to stream to more then one client at a time.

So far temp solution tell Hardware Acceleration is fixed I made changes to the Transcoder with
    Segmented transcoder timeout - 5
    Transcoder default duration - 60
    Transcoder default throttle buffer - 300
    Sadly Hardware Acceleration is Broken for the WD My Cloud PR Line.

Those changes should reduce the frequency of buffering down but if you still have problems it might not be worth using the latest version after all.

Also to note 300 is 5 minutes of buffering so you could pause for a minute or two if needed and let the buffering get ahead.

Answers

• aabramovichaabramovich Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yup. The only version that works properly is 1.0.1.2366. Every other version either produces artifacts, or just stops working after about a minute of transcoding, and the CPU falls from 10% back to 0%, and it notifies me that the server is not powerful enough for transcoding... Or that my connection is not fast enough.

The admins seem to have abandoned ship; nobody is looking at nor replying to the messages here... I'm fairly disappointed as Plex was marketing WD as the only, officially supported, hw transcoding NAS, and yet, with every subsequent version, fails to address the core selling feature, which is hardware transcoding. When are we going to get an official answer? Is there a better way to contact support?

This is from Version 1.0.1.2366 for the pr4100

And this is the latest Version 1.5.0.3501

• mintvillamintvilla Posts: 17Members ✭✭

Thanks for the above, i just got my 24TB Pr4100. Think i'll leave it as the default PMS

@mintvilla said:
    Thanks for the above, i just got my 24TB Pr4100. Think i'll leave it as the default PMS

It's a good idea to just sit this one out; I'm just afraid, that sooner or later, the working version of plex will become obsolete and unsupported, and we will be forced to upgrade to a newer, non-working version. We are already behind 5 major revisions, and the issue still remains... This is a absurd if you ask me...

edited March 20

@aaplfan said:
    Im not sure if this helps but on the latest version theres an option under transcoder called Use hardware acceleration when available (Experimental) - I don't remember if its being checked by default on new installs but I was having the terrible artifact issues you mention above I unticked that box and things went back to normal

This works the latest version is artifact free now when I turn off that experimental setting, A new problem im seeing is I cant transcode more then one video because it says the server isn't strong enough which isn't true even the cpu is not going over 25%.

But I'll give it a little time before making a new thread on this since maybe my pms needs some time to adjust to the latest version.

• sGarversGarver Posts: 471Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

IF transcoding is a single thread process, and you have a quad-core CPU... 25% is what you would see and still be pegging the CPU for that transcode.

edited March 20

its a Intel Pentium N3710 1.6 GHz quad core that boosts a single core to 2.5ghz.

edited March 20 Accepted Answer

Just like aaplfan said by turning off Hardware Acceleration you can remove all the artifacts with the latest version of plex, How ever there is a down side and that is no more Hardware Transcoding so instead of 7 to 12% single core usage you are pushed into the 97% usage leaving you with a lot of buffering breaks and eventually a bad experince plus no longer being able to stream to more then one client at a time.

So far temp solution tell Hardware Acceleration is fixed I made changes to the Transcoder with
    Segmented transcoder timeout - 5
    Transcoder default duration - 60
    Transcoder default throttle buffer - 300
    Sadly Hardware Acceleration is Broken for the WD My Cloud PR Line.

Those changes should reduce the frequency of buffering down but if you still have problems it might not be worth using the latest version after all.

Also to note 300 is 5 minutes of buffering so you could pause for a minute or two if needed and let the buffering get ahead.

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,749Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 20

Are you running the HW acceleration Pre-Release version.
    My understanding is there is NO hw Acceleration in ANY mainstream release.

Where are you exactly turning this on??
    Are the affected videos DVR recordings??

Or is this ONLY in the WD flavor release?

edited March 20

Its on by default, and it works fine in the stock version of plex that comes with there WD Nas, Its just the newer versions don't work exactly. I don't feel like taking a picture but the option for turning it on is in the transcoding area.

• aaplfanaaplfan Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 20

I have about 15 people I share my server with outside my house and on average three to four of them are on using the system at the same time. I haven't heard any rumblings from them that they are getting messages saying the server isn't fast enough Ill reach out to a few of them that I know use it daily and just double check if any of them are having any issues they haven't said anything but doesn't mean there are none. Since I don't transcode anything locally the hardware transcoding doesn't effect me at all I direct play everything and let my Roku 4 do all the work little to no hit to the CPU.

Also let me add that the one file format that brings my PR4100 to its knees is HEVC files. If any transcoding needs to happen with those it takes a big hit for sure

yeah direct play is fine, I watch anime and that is forced into transcode because of the subtitles.

• mintvillamintvilla Posts: 17Members ✭✭

aaplfan

I just got my PR4100 so still putting it through its paces, i have 2 HEVC files, both 4k, one is HDR ontop of that, they both direct play to my Nvidia shield just fine, barely gets over 10%.

Thinking about it, i assume that must be a limitation of the Roku box

• Sticklebricks85Sticklebricks85 Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So glad this isn't only me. It would be great to have a response from plex on this.

I'm trying to work with someone from plex and there asking for a sample file https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201035968-Generating-Sample-Files-from-Media

But I don't know how to generate one with the PR4100 since from what I understand its not a normal Linux setup.

So far all I get is
    /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Anime$ /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plexmediaserver/binaries/PlexTranscoder -i /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Anime/Test.mkv -t 120 -map 0 -c copy output.mkv
    /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/plexmediaserver/binaries/PlexTranscoder: error while loading shared libraries: libva.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That WD NAS has nowhere near the horsepower to do any serious transcoding, It certainly cannot be expected to transcode HEVC.
    In order for it to work for you, your HEVC needs to be encoded mp4 / h.265 / AC3 no subtitles.
    I also am confused on how that device is hardware transcoding??
    I saw nowhere in the PR4100 specs that it had an Intel Graphics Chipset (Required for PMS HW Transcoding)

Correct me if I am wrong.
    I would like to learn about this if true.

Thanks

edited March 22

@jjrjr1 said:
    That WD NAS has nowhere near the horsepower to do any serious transcoding, It certainly cannot be expected to transcode HEVC.
    In order for it to work for you, your HEVC needs to be encoded mp4 / h.265 / AC3 no subtitles.
    I also am confused on how that device is hardware transcoding??
    I saw nowhere in the PR4100 specs that it had an Intel Graphics Chipset (Required for PMS HW Transcoding)

Correct me if I am wrong.
    I would like to learn about this if true.

Thanks

it fully supports HW Transcoding and if we use the stock version of plex from wd we can transcode 1080p no problem up to 3 active streams with a possible total of 4 or 5 if one of those is a lower quality like a phone.

I can transcode Video (x1): H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10 [lavc:h264] resolution 1920 x 1080 16:9 with subs at 15 to 25 % cpu usage on a single core using PMS 1.0.1.2366 or by turning on Transcoding experimental for the latest version

edited March 21

Interesting thanks.
    No HW Transcoding for windows yet.
    And the Intel Graphics Chipset is required for Windows..
    I run an i7 with passmark of 7.5k and 256ssd for transcoding temp and I cannot transcode a single HEVC without buffering unless encoded to direct play on a Roku 4.
    That WD Box must be one hell of a NAS..
    LOL