Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Music Tracks filtering: how to include both 4-star and 5-star rated tracks?

doughoweldoughowel Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Noticed this a few days ago after getting the new Plex Web. I like the potential of the new "Custom filter"-update but I am having some issues with accomplishing what I want to do with the filters.

1) Earlier I could display my track-list containing only tracks with 4 and 5 star ratings. Now I can only choose 4 or 5 star rating filter. Or am I missing something? I like to filter out tracks with only the two or three best ratings (my saved ratings after years of registering)

2) With the new custom filter there are a lot of new possibilities, and I am looking forward to setting up some smart playlists that contain e.g. all "black metal" from "Norway" before "1999", which is something I could not do before. But adding a rating-filter to this seems to not be possible.

Any help or ideas on these issues?

Best Answer

Answers

• beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,156Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I ran into the same thing, and thought they had dropped OR filtering when they added AND. But I figured it out and wrote it up in case it might help others:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/261783/and-and-or-filtering

• doughoweldoughowel Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately this is not what I am looking for. I am trying to include the rating of a track in the Custom Filter. And I am trying to include both 4-star rated tracks and 5-star rated tracks in the same listing. Seems to be impossible...

Oh, I'm sorry. It didn't click for me. There's no 'Rating' selection in the custom filter. I agree, it seems odd that the custom filter doesn't offer the same parameters as the standard filters.

Indeed it is...
    I could have lived with the old filter, if I could use it the same way as I did before. I am quite certain that I used to be able to filter tracks by rating, and that I could check several ratings and not just one of them.

By using the Chrome-app for Plex, which was not updated to the last version, I managed to make the playlists I wanted.

I also got my suspicion confirmed: in the previous version it was possible to include several ratings in a filter, but now in the new version it is only possible to include ONE rating.. And in the Custom Filter it is not even an option to filter by rating. I can sort by rating, but not filter.

I find it a bit odd. Why was this change of function decided by the Plex team? There is some "unlogic" logic there :-p

@chrishoage said:
    Rating and Date custom filters have been added to Plex Web as of 3.1.1 (released on plex.tv/web today)

Actually, only Artist Rating has been added to Custom Filters. Between Artists, Albums, and Tracks, Artist is probably the least-used Rating.

You can't do an OR, but you can do "Rating is greater than 3 stars" which will include 4 and 5 star rated tracks.

So it really is "greater than," and not "equal or greater than?" I was just about to ask for clarification when I saw this note.

• chrishoagechrishoage Posts: 44Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited March 16

Actually, only Artist Rating has been added to Custom Filters. Between Artists, Albums, and Tracks, Artist is probably the least-used Rating.

The list of filters and operators is driven my PMS which will allow them to add new filters more easily. I have verified with the server team that more rating options will be coming in the future.

So it really is "greater than," and not "equal or greater than?" I was just about to ask for clarification when I saw this note.

I just double checked, it is "greater than" and not "equal to or greater than"

@chrishoage said:

The list of filters and operators is driven my PMS which will allow them to add new filters more easily. I have verified with the server team that more rating options will be coming in the future.

I just double checked, it is "greater than" and not "equal to or greater than"

Thanks, Chris.

This is awesome, thank you!
    Now everything works as I wanted it. Track-rating combined with sorting and other custom filters equals so many possibilities to create the perfect playlists/tracklists.

Great work!
    I feel like I want to buy another Plex lifetime soon. Its getting a bit too cheap for being such a great product!