Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Raspberry Pi 3B analogue audio

appiekap653appiekap653 Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B with the latest plex media player embedded version for Raspberry installed.
Everything works great except for the audio output.
I want the audio to be outputted to the 3.5 Jack analogue output.
Till now i only get the audio out of the HDMI.
I tried the settings and choose Basic for audio output.
But when i go to the output device selection i have 3 options with ALSA in the name and when trying all 3 options the sound keeps coming over the HDMI and not over the analogue jack plug.

Is there something i am doing wrong or is just not possible to have the sound go over the analogue output?

I have tried Rasplex which works fine over the analogue output. In Rasplex you can choose HDMI or Analogue.

Best Answer

Answers

• appiekap653appiekap653 Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is there anyone who can help me out please from the plex team?

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,648Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

You need to switch the audio output via this command: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/audio-config.md

The command needs to be run on every start. I think LE has an autostart thing, if you don't know about it I'm sure others can help you.

Not at Plex anymore. I'm not a Ninja either.

edited April 2017

Thank you for your answer but it is not what i need.
    I do not have Raspbian installed, i have installed the Plex Media Player Embedded version from the Plex website.

I have RasPlex on the Raspberry Pi right now and in the settings i can choose to output the audio over HDMI , Analogue or Both.
    I have it setup for both at the moment so that when i watch movies i have the sound come out of the tv, and when i listen to music i have the sound come out of the 3.5 jack analogue output.

In the plex media player for embedded systems i can choose between 3 options named ALSA...something (the rest of the names are out of screen and unreadable).
    I have tried all three options but the sound only comes out of the HDMI and not the Analogue output.

Why is Rasplex able to do both (while it is not an official program made by Plex) and Plex Media Player which is made by Plex itself doesn't?

Is Plex Media Player Embedded able to output the sound over both the HDMI and Analogue output at the same time, like Rasplex does?

• priya99priya99 Posts: 1Members

I have the same issue how do I make the sound work from the Raspberry Pi audio out jacks to my headphones. HDMI gives sound to my tv with no issues.

• TanguybTanguyb Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi

I got the same need: HDMI is connected on my TV and my bluetooth headphone on raspi and I can't stream on both hdmi and jack :(
    I switched from rasplex to plexmediaplayer embedded because rasplex suddently have issues: "unable to play file, check the directory is mounted" bla bla bla... It worked for 8 months and suddently (i performed no update on server and client) some files refused to work while they play fine on tablet, smartphone and linux computer using official plexmediaplayer application

I'm glad i am not the only one having those issues. Till now the staff from plex are unable to reply, listen or fix any issues that i have mentioned to them.
    I also found some issues with changing volume from the android app to a fling player and give the plex staff a detailed description on what happens and which steps i need to take to get a workarround so it will work till next reboot but even then they refuse to give notice or to update the app with a fix.
    I realy love the plex platform but its a shame that the plex staff is giving no support at all to their users.
    We only want to help them make their product better where we also benefit from but mostly them because they can be even more proud of their accomplishments and with lesser bugs even more people would be eager to buy their products.

• davidbeechumdavidbeechum Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@devz3ro said:
    I was able to get this to work, for those that are still experiencing this issue.

Here are the steps:

1. SSH (using PuTTY or another terminal emulator) to the IP of raspberry pi with PMP installed on it.
    2. Login as "root" with the password of "plex"
    3. Make /flash filesystem read / write by issuing the following command: mount -o remount,rw /flash
    4. Either use VI or nano to edit the following file: nano /flash/config.txt
    5. Add the following two lines to the end of the file, then save.
      hdmi_ignore_edid_audio=1
      hdmi_force_edid_audio=0

Issue the reboot command. The raspberry pi should force the output of the audio to the 3.5mm jack.

My issue now is that the 3.5mm audio is working but is VERY low.

@devz3ro, would you mind posting a copy of your config.txt file? I have made these same edits and it is still not working for me. This doesn't seem like it should be this hard. Thanks.