If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Use Drobo to backup NAS?

vestan_pancevestan_pance Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited April 2017 in Drobo

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to a QNAP TVS-473 NAS which I'm using primarily for Plex but I also store other my other data on it. I now have a spare Drobo S which I was hoping to repurpose as my primary backup but I can't connect direct to the NAS because it needs the Drobo dashboard to work properly.

Would it be possible to backup up my NAS using Timemachine on my Mini? The Drobo is connected by USB3 to my Mini, while both my NAS and Mini are connected to the same router by Ethernet?

Thanks in advance
VP

Tagged:

Answers

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,448Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why can't you plug the Drobo into the USB3 port of the QNAP?
    I can do that with my Synology!

And yes plugging it into your mini should also work!!
    Why haven't you tried that?

What did you have previously - the mini was the PMS and the drobo was your storage?

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• vestan_pancevestan_pance Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Mini was PMS, external HDDs used to store all my media / data, and Drobo was used as primary backup using Time Machine.

There's nothing stopping me from connecting the Drobo directly to the NAS but it needs Drobo Dashboard to operate, which is native to Mac only.