If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Feature Request] As audiophile with big collection of FLAC files I'd like to pay for the sound

breakphreak@gmail.combreakphreak@gmail.com Posts: 20Members ✭✭

Currently, FLAC is transcoded to AAC, not to ALAC, which results in degraded sound quality.

I'd like to enjoy the sound quality to the fullest. Thus, transcoding into ALAC would make the job. It could be a paid feature as well.

Answers

• mrowlinson@gmail.commrowlinson@gmail.com Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

ALAC is FOSS. It seems to me like this would be pretty easy to implement.

• breakphreak@gmail.combreakphreak@gmail.com Posts: 20Members ✭✭

That would be marvelous. Any way to have a chance to prioritize it please? :)

• jjrossjjross Posts: 391Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@breakphreak@gmail.com said:
    Currently, FLAC is transcoded to AAC, not to ALAC, which results in degraded sound quality.

I'd like to enjoy the sound quality to the fullest. Thus, transcoding into ALAC would make the job. It could be a paid feature as well.

I decided to convert all of my FLAC to ALAC to combat this issue. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Plex to fix it.

Converting from FLAC to ALAC is lossless so it wasn't a big deal for me. There are some REALLY simple command line scripts that will walk your file system and do them all in a batch. It doesn't take too long per file.

I found that most things that played FLAC played ALAC so it didn't seem like a big deal to me (unless I missed something?)

• iGandalfiGandalf Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

this isn't a Plex issue, its an Apple TV limitation, Apple TV does not support the FLAC codec

• RocketDogGTRRocketDogGTR Posts: 21Members ✭✭

The Plex server would still transocde, but it would transcode to ALAC instead of AAC. That the point of the OP. FLAC to ALAC is lossless. I think that should be able to be done with a tweak to the transoding device profiles on the server but I don't know how. I thought there were text files that could be edited to control transcoding. I'd love the default for ATV4 to be ALAC as well!!!